Sequel: We'll Be Okay

Race Against Time

Amazed

I laid out on my bed, thinking about everything that had happened in the past couple of years. Jess' death, my job, family and friends, my self-destructive behavior, and the woman who'd been messing with my head unwittingly since day one. I smiled to myself as I went through the events of the night before. I could honestly say that taking Isabella into my bed had not crossed my mind that night.

[Flashback ;D]

Man, I was feeling a bit buzzed when we had decided to go to my place to watch a movie. I had planned on putting on 'The Shining', something my brother, Ronan had rented to make me watch and Isabella wouldn't pay much attention to the movie. But I was wrong, she was all into it. It was interesting to watch her facial expressions during each part. Her lips were moving, but no sound was coming out. She had started out leaning against me, but as it got more intense, she was leaning forward, propping her elbows onto her knees and pressing folded hands in front of her mouth.
"What're you doing?" I asked. She looked up at me, slightly embarrassed.
"Sorry, I narrate to myself when I watch movies like this. My partner back home and I watched this movie once online and we were narrating back and forth", she replied. I had to admit, that was adorable.
"Sounds awesome", I said. She laughed.
"We thought we would be such amazing movie critics and such lousy serial killers", she replied, stifling another giggle.
"I dunno, I've seen you in action. You'd be the most aggressive serial killer in history", I said. She laughed again. She had the moves to be one, she just didn't have it in her, contrary to what I had said to every protesting suspect. 'I'm not capable of murder'.
"Nah, I'd be narrating the entire time like 'Okay, now I'm throwing them into the wood chipper!' or 'Now I've stabbed them this many times, so I should burn the body now'", she replied. I let out a laugh. I could see her doing that. After discussing how utterly ridiculous the movie was, things were starting to get heated.

This was dangerous. She was pressing herself closer, her lips feathering over my neck, jaw, and throat. Soft and calculating. I moved her onto my lap, running my hands over her waist and back. She was good, she knew exactly what she was doing, but didn't seem to know its effect. I finally had enough of this, it was time for her to take what she'd been dishing out to me. I leaned her downwards onto the couch, holding her hips under me and kissed along her neck, throat, collarbone, that little spot under her ear. She sat up, swinging her legs off the couch and stood up.

"Did I do something wrong?" I asked. I could've kicked myself. To my surprise, she gave me a slow, suggestive smile.
"Not yet", she replied, taking my hand and pulling me towards my room.
"Far more dangerous than I thought. You know my room's that way, right?" I said. Duh.
"I'm 29, I know how this works. Don't ruin the mood", she replied.

[Present day]

I heard my phone buzz and I rolled over to look at it. It was O'Riley. I answered it.
"Flack", I said tonelessly.
"Flack, you gotta come to the precinct, something's gone down", O'Riley said. I sat up.
"What's going on?" I asked.
"The Jersey crime lab is going into this ring sooner than expected and we're sending that really hot Wilmington detective chick in undercover. The other Wilmington detective is on her way here now", O'Riley replied. He was referring to Isabella and her partner. I was already getting on my shoes and going towards the station. I walked in, my eyes automatically scanning the room for Isabella. Jerry, one of the detectives on my team ushered me towards the briefing room. I sat down in one of the chairs. Mac, Danny, and Lindsay were in there as well.

"Good, Flack, you're here. I assume Sean's briefed you?" my CO said. I nodded.
"So you know the plan. We're getting Detective Pacino's partner, Aria De Luca out here and they're both going into this along with Detective Lindsay Messer and one of the Jersey CSIs. We've gotten some help from the FBI on this, and they've lent us some gadgets that will come in handy on this", he continued.
"Wouldn't that be the first thing they'd check?" I asked.
"These tracking devices are completely untraceable to anything they might have. They're going to be equipped with audio. We can hear them, they can't hear us", he replied. This was extremely risky, but I could tell we had no choice.
"How are we going to get them in there?" I asked.
"You want to tell him or should I?" Scythe asked Isabella. She smiled.
"We're going to get kidnapped", she replied. This was absolute insanity.
"Everyone on these streets know you're cops, they won't risk it", I pointed out, trying to cover my panic.

"Not if we change our appearances. Then we'll become their MO", Isabella replied. I didn't see how this could work. Isabella was a Pacino. Her disappearance could cause a nasty gang war. No, not could. It will cause a street war.
"This is extremely risky", I said.
"That's why we're sending in more than one. We've gone over their records very carefully. Aria De Luca was in the military in Special Ops. Isabella is a trained MMA fighter, not to mention, she has more connections than the Internet. Lindsay has worked a case like this before in Montana, she's good under pressure", Scythe replied. There were no other points to be made. Isabella's heritage was already called into consideration, they considered it an asset. Danny was very uncomfortable with this, I could tell. I heard the door open and Levi walked in.

"Levi, just in time", Scythe greeted him. Isabella's face paled. She wasn't counting on her brother being here, I could tell.
"I'm more than willing to be a part of this operation, David, you know that", Levi replied coolly. He glanced at his sister before turning his attention back to Scythe.
"For those of you who have just joined us in the past year, this is Detective Levi Pacino and he will be coming back onto the force to assist us with this mission", Scythe announced.
"Is he related to Isabella?" one officer piped up.
"We are brother and sister", Isabella replied. I could tell she was nervous now. Levi nodded curtly to his sister. Under this light, it was plain as day that they were related. They both carried themselves the same way, although Isabella was more graceful, thanks to her days as a dancer.
"The chosen four are going undercover two days from now, I expect you all to be ready for action by then", Scythe said. We all got up and walked out.
♠ ♠ ♠
The songs I was listening to while writing this chapter:

"Every little thing that you do, baby I'm amazed by you" -Lonestar 'Amazed'

"I don't wanna just make love, I wanna make love last" -Don't You Wanna Stay? by Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson

"Thought I'd been touched, thought I'd been kissed, thought I'd been loved, but it was nothing like this" -Rascal Flatts 'Nothing Like This'