Sequel: We'll Be Okay

Race Against Time

Crime Scene Madness

I pulled up to the crime scene, an apartment where a woman's body was found. Allegedly, Jay Maxwell, the escaped cop-beater from Wilmington, had killed her. He was the prime suspect in an ongoing serial killer investigation in North Carolina. It matched the MO. The Avalanche pulled up and Jo got out. A petite young woman hopped out, carrying a kit. She must be the help from North Carolina. She had dark hair, fair skin, and unusual mint green eyes.

"Flack, this is Isabella Pacino, the detective from Wilmington. Show her the ropes and be nice", Jo said to me. Isabella chuckled.
"Thanks, but I'll be fine. I don't need special treatment because I'm not from here", she replied. She had a Southern accent.

"Well, Lady Antebellum, I'll need your help with getting witness accounts", I said. She rolled her eyes.
"Charming nickname. Which ones have you talked to?" she asked. I pointed to the two I had talked to and she walked to the superintendent I hadn't gotten to talking to yet.
"She's a real knockout. Adams had nothing but glowing recommendations from her. He only said to watch out for her tongue, she could poke someone's eye out and not to underestimate her", Jo said, chuckling.
"She's got fire in her. I'd say this extra help is gonna wrap up this case with a neat little bow", I replied.
"Let's hope so", Jo said, going to process. Hawkes had come to get the body and take it back to autopsy. Isabella tossed me her notepad and went to assist Jo in the processing. There was a phantom drop on the floor. She'd bent down to swab it. So she was very meticulous.
"Yo, Lady Antebellum. I think you missed that dust bunny over there", I joked. She rolled her eyes.

I had gotten to talking to Officer Ariel.
"I realized my life hasn't gotten anywhere. I mean, what more can I do? I looked in the mirror and there I was", Ariel was saying as Isabella walked by.
"Does that mean there's only two weeks left of autumn?" she said. I had to chuckle. That move was pretty ballsy, but Ariel had a sense of humor. He laughed. Isabella opened a closet and a man jumped out, running for the door. I pulled out my gun, ready to stop him.
Before any of us could react, Isabella kicked his leg, grabbing his shirt and swung him around. He stumbled, trying to get out of her grip. She kneed him in the stomach and flipped him over, knocking him onto his back. Whoa.

"Who're you?" she demanded. Her foot was on his chest, keeping him down.
"Hilary's brother", the man replied. He was clearly terrified. I helped him up and he tried to wriggle free.
"What're you doing in the crime scene?" I demanded.
"I want to talk to my lawyer", he responded.
"That's not Jay Maxwell", Isabella said. She looked almost irritated. I cuffed him and told Ariel to take him to lockup.
"What is in the water in Wilmington, Antebellum?" I said. She gave me a look.
"Steroids", she replied dryly. I had to admit, seeing her take down a suspect like that was incredibly sexy. She said something in Gaelic and I caught it immediately.

"Bhuaigh tú roinnt, caillfidh tú roinnt", she had said
[You win some, you lose some]
"Cé mhéad Gaeilge ar eolas agat?" I asked. She shrugged.
[How much Gaelic do you know]
"Is é mo sheanmháthair na hÉireann. Mhúin sí liom go leor de", she replied.
[My mother is Irish. She taught me a lot of it]

Needless to say, this case is quickly becoming very interesting...