Sequel: We'll Be Okay

Race Against Time

Don't Be So Flustered

I smiled as I continued my paperwork. Talking to Adam was always enjoyable, it made paperwork not so bad. We had a lot in common, a mutual enjoyment of terrible slasher films, old rock music, and muscle cars.
"I'm almost out of Cheerwine", I suddenly realized. Cheerwine was a cherry soft drink indigenous to my home state.
"What's Cheerwine?" Adam asked.
"The most amazing drink ever. It's sold only in North Carolina, it's a cherry soft drink. It's freaking amazing", I replied. I went through a case a week, if I put my mind to it.
"Yeah, I hate it when stuff is sold in only one part of the country. Why not share it with the world?" Adam said.
"Because my state is famous for very few things. Nascar, airplanes, Kellie Pickler, mini golf, Cheerwine, and Wilmington, which is the East Coast Hollywood. We like being special", I replied. I finished scrawling my name on the signature line and set the file in the cabinet and got to putting photos back in the evidence bin.

"Hey, you busy tonight? There's a Doctor Gore marathon tonight", Adam said. I felt guilty as I looked at the hopefulness in Adam's eyes.
"I had plans tonight, I'm sorry", I replied. I realized that I truly did feel genuinely sorry. His face fell.
"Oh, it's okay, don't worry about it", he said quickly. He ducked out of the lab. I looked up at the clock. Well, paperwork and reconstruction had killed a good four hours. I figured it would be a good time for a break. I sat down on a chair. Jo poked her head in.
"Hey, you doing okay?" she asked. I nodded.
"I was just resting my leg, it's acting up a bit", I replied.
"Don't strain yourself. How'd reconstruction go?" Jo asked.
"Between me, Flack, and Adam, we've concluded that the victim's struggle with her killer looked like something naughty was going on between them", I replied.
"Good work. Now, who played what part?" Jo asked, a teasing glint in her eye. I looked down, feeling my face warm.

"Well, that doesn't really matter, now does it?" I replied, kicking myself inwardly at how flustered I'd sounded.
"Oh, that's why Don must've rushed off to the locker room", Jo teased. I could feel my face flaming. She laughed.
"I didn't expect you to get so flustered, Miss Pacino", she said, patting my back.
"Naw, it's fine. Tends to happen", I replied quickly.
"And I was kidding about the locker room thing. His face was just as red as yours", she said. I looked up at the clock. Quarter to eight. I laughed lightly.
"Go on and clock out, you've had a very full day", she said.
"Thanks, Jo", I replied.
"Go on and show your cowboy who's boss", she called. As if my face couldn't get any redder, it did.
"Somehow, I get the feeling you like seeing people blush", I chided before walking off. I had a lot of apologizing to do to my boyfriend. I had ignored him earlier when he was trying to talk to me repeatedly about the case.

I called Don quickly.
"Hey, you busy?" I asked.
"Nah, I was just sittin' here", he replied.
"Mind if I swing by? I wanted to apologize for earlier, I didn't mean to ignore you", I said.
"I was about to step out, actually. Your place is on my way back, if you did want to see me", he replied.
"Sounds good, give me a call when you're close", I said. We said 'goodbye' and hung up. I approached my apartment and opened the door. Lazlo and Boomer were competing for my attention, of course. I went to go change from my work clothes into my pajamas. Boomer rested his head on my stomach, Lazlo had snuggled his way into my shirt. He was right between my breasts. I heard a knock on the door.

"It's me", I heard Don say.
"It's open", I replied. He opened the door. Lazlo jumped out of my shirt, barking furiously.
"Shut up, Lazlo!" I said, annoyed. I was so close to putting him in the kitchen. I got up and walked over to hug him.
"Sorry about earlier", I said, kissing him.
"Don't worry 'bout it", he replied. Lazlo started jumping at Don's leg, biting at his jeans. I picked up the furball and tossed him into the kitchen. He gave me a wounded puppy look.
"See what I mean? He's totally psycho", I said, rolling my eyes.
"It's fine. By the way, your shirt is totally stretched out", Don replied. I looked down, my shirt stretched all the way down. Damn dog. I growled.
"Ian's taking the damn dog to Nonno's. I can't live with the demon", I growled. Don slipped his arms around my waist, cutting me off with a kiss.
"I gotta go, because you and I have a very full day tomorrow", he said. I frowned, pretending to pout.
"Well, shoot, I didn't get to apologize properly", I replied, giving him another kiss.
"Don't tempt me, you're already too dangerous for your own good", he said. I rolled my eyes.
"See you tomorrow", I replied, kissing him on the cheek.
"Apology accepted, by the way", he said. I let Lazlo out of the kitchen after he left. He growled at the door before jumping onto the couch. I rolled my eyes and got into bed. I had a pet treadmill for Boomer, in case I got off late and couldn't take him out for a run. Lazlo cuddled close to my side and curled up into a ball. Boomer tried to once again jump onto the bed with me, this was a battle that lasted half the night.