Status: Very, very slow. But in progress nonetheless.

Blood of Innocents

Fateful Moments

8:17pm, February, 1998
I cussed loudly, throwing myself at the man before me. He had many lacerations and was covered in blood, and I guessed I looked much the same. We both had a few broken bones, too -I'd broken two of the fingers on his right hand and one on his left, along with a rib or two, and he'd broken my left wrist and shoulder.
He snarled, swerving out of the way and landing a roundhouse kick in the small of my back. Growling, I spun on my heels and lunged, grabbing a hold of his head with my good arm. My finger tightened, and he howled in pain and terror. I had him now, and he knew it. A brief flicker of sadness washed over me, but it was gone in that same instant. I was used to the killing now.
The man cried for mercy, but my face stayed blank and I squeezed. His cries cut off with a gurgling sound as his head popped like a grape. I sighed quietly to myself as I tossed his semi-lifeless body into the fire to my right, the violet flames flaring as they caught the mans body. Another fight, more lives lost.
I turned to face the small group of people huddled in the corner. There was five, maybe six of them, one of them just a small boy about the age of four. They all looked scared to death, but that was to be expected. After all, they'd been the targets.
"Come with me, or be stuck down here," I said quietly, my flat voice echoing off the walls of the sewerage tunnels. When they didn't move, I added, "These tunnels will be sealed off, and most likely never opened again."
That worked. The young boy stood, tugging on and older woman’s' hand -I assumed it was his mother, but I didn't care much for relations. The others soon followed suit.
We'd almost finished with this bunch, the last adult climbing up the grimy metal rungs of the ladder through the manhole at the top. I stood guard, my good eye scanning the darkness for any threats. I wasn't worried -it was just my job.
The boy was the only one left now, and he put his small hands on one of the first few rungs. He hesitated, looking at me with his deep, dark eyes.
"Are you one of dem?" He asked me, clearly not perfect with his English yet. My emerald green eyes flicked over to watch him, not turning my head at all.
"Yeah," was my simple reply. I hint of fear played at his features.
"Are you on da good-guy side?"
"For now." His eyes widened, then he turned and scurried up the ladder, probably because I'd scared him. I had a habit of doing that. I rolled my eyes a little, then followed him up.
I caught a familiar scent as I replaced the manhole cover, turning to look at the man I knew so well.
"Tanner," I said simply, nodding my head a little to acknowledge him.
"Always had a way with words, didn't you?" Julius said sarcastically, smiling. I shook my head, rolling my eyes, though I admit to having a tiny smile play on my face. "You should get yourself looked at. How many bones this time?" I sighed at his overly concerned nature as I counted them silently in my head, only needed a split second to do so.
"Three, maybe four." I shrugged, wincing a little at the pain in my broken shoulder. He tut, scowling. "Don't worry. It'll take an hour at the very most."
"Still..." he mumbled, still disliking my battle worn state. The cuts and bruises had already healed aside from the really bad ones, but even they were close to being as though they never existed, and I could already feeling the pieces of bone beginning to mesh together.
"Julius Tanner?" One of the policemen at the scene called out, looking for him. Julius flashed a smile at me, then spun around and walked over, flagging the man down by waving. I shook my head. He knew the police were useless in situations like these, but he called them in anyway. I guess if comforted the normal people.
"Excuse me," a voice behind me said, and I spin around to look at the police officer, my bright green eyes catching his blue ones. "I assume you're the same, er, man at the last attack?" he asks me, fumbling a bit over his words a bit. He knew what I was, and knew the danger I posed if I turned on them. I nod silently, and he gives a weak smile.
"A pleasure having you on our side," he says, extending a hand towards me. I glance down at it, then back up at him.
"No it's not," I said blankly, and he bites his lip, dropping his hand and looking away. It wasn't a pleasure for him -he and his colleagues lived in fear of me.
The officer gave me a nervous nod before turning and walking back over to the small group of police to his right. I turned to look for Julius, spotting him to my left. I walked over just as he finished talking to a man I was very familiar with. I didn't know his name or what he looked like -nobody did, as he always wore some form of mask- but I see him on a regular basis. Julius works with him often, nicknaming him 'Mister Rious'. When he told me that, I'd scowled at the horrid play on words.
He nodded a thanks to Rious, turning to walk off, and I flagged him down. He smiled, walking over.
"Yeah?" he asked, sounding a little too uplifted for the situation that we were here for. I cocked an eyebrow, but put that aside for now.
"Forgot to ask earlier. My meal?" I kept my voice low so as not to alarm anybody who'd dare listen in on us.
"In your room, ready to go." I gave him a questioning look, and he smiled, embarrassed. "Yes, I remembered to tie it down this time. No mess, hopefully."
"Thanks. Can always count on you." My voice was light and slightly sarcastic, and he laughed. It was a personal joke of ours.

Later that night, about three hours after the tiny feud in the sewers. I walked into my temporary hotel room, closing and locking the door behind me then dropping the key on the kitchen bench. I sighed, walking into the living area. I stopped, hearing a shuffling noise in the bathroom. I went to go check out what it was, my hands balling into fists just in case. I stopped just outside the door to the bathroom, ready to catch my intruder. I jumped around the corner of the doorframe, a low growl about to rip through my throat-
-When I stopped, feeling quite stupid.
There was a young doe tied with rope to the towel rack, looking at me with wide eyes. I chuckled quietly, my over cautiousness clearly having gotten the better of me. At least he'd tied it this time, like he said.
I turned serious when the air conditioning blew it's scent towards me, my throat flaring up with thirst. It was time to get serious, before I went into hunting mode -which was dangerous.
I quietly padded over to the defenceless mammal, lightly placing a hand on its muzzle. I could feel the blood pumping through her, hear the way she breathed, her rapid heartbeat. My mouth watered with venom, the burning in my throat getting worse, more harsh.
I leaned my head down, my mouth merely an inch from her throat. I bit, my teeth sinking deep into her flesh, ignoring her startled, weak mews of pain and pinning down her struggling, frantic body. I liked when they panicked -the blood ran faster, making it easier for me.
When I was finished, I moved the lifeless doe to sit behind the kitchen bench, so if somebody came in the door they wouldn't see it. I took my personal mobile out of my pocket, paging Julius' clean up crew. I looked down at myself, still having not cleaned up after the fight. My bones had healed, so there was no pain, but I was covered in blood and waste and God knows what else. Sighing, I stripped myself of my jacket, hanging it over the back of the lounge on my way to the bathroom.
After my shower, I walked out of the bathroom to look for some newer, less blood-soaked clothes, my blue-grey hair still dripping wet. I found some in a neat pile on one of the beds, along with a note. I picked up the small bit of paper, my eyes reading over the tiny, neat writing.
'Don't want to be walking around in cold blood, do we? Got your favourites for you. Dinner tomorrow at five. Private restaurant, nobody but waiters and chefs. Just to catch up. Enjoy,
Julius Tanner.'

I smiled a bit at his note, placing it on the bed and picking up the bundle of neatly folded clothes, moving back into the bathroom to dry my hair and change. I came back out wearing a plain white linen shirt, loose denim jeans, and my favourite style of trench coat. Julius knew me so well.
The cleaning crew had done a perfect job, as usual. There wasn't a single trace of blood, even on the lounge where I'd dumped my coat. There wasn't the faintest smell of the deceased doe, or even of the cleaning products they'd used. Not a trace.
I checked the time on my cheap watch, frowning when I saw how late it was. If I was going to be out tomorrow, I'd have to be in a really good mood. I turned off the light in the kitchen, moving into the bedroom, shutting the door behind me. I lay down on the double bed, not bothering to change or actually get in the bed.
I closed my eyes, almost instantly falling asleep. As always, my sleep was dreamless, quick and easy. That was just a perk of the job.
* * * *
I woke at exactly eleven the next morning, my emerald eyes snapping open. I sat up, not even needing to check the time to know. I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a bottle one of Julius' company delivered regularly, the liquid nowhere near as good as the fresh doe, but in a way it was better for me. I checked my work phone for any messages, then my personal one. Seeing there were no messages, I walked out of the hotel room, grabbing my key off the bench and locking the door behind me.
I spent my spare time wandering the streets of Gleahnhaven, looking at different places I'd been in my time here, and checking out places I hadn't. By the time I was done, I'd explored all of downtown and a little of the more country-like areas on the outskirts, and I was now on my way to the restaurant to meet Julius.
I walked in, instantly spotting him at a table in the middle of the empty restaurant. He was frowning over some paperwork he had on the table, flicking through them briefly. I walked over and stood next to the table, clearing my throat when he didn't notice me for a bit.
He jumped a little, looking up, and calmed down when he saw it was me. He gave an embarrassed smile, gesturing to the seat opposite him. He neatened the copious amount of papers into one orderly pile in front of him. He gave me one of his business looks, and I knew there was reason behind this meeting other than 'to catch up'.
"I suppose you've figured out dinner isn't all that's on the menu?" he asked me, his mind clicking completely into official no-nonsense mode.
"When you have to empty a whole restaurant, I assume something's important," I replied, glancing down at the papers. I leaned back in my chair, putting my hands in the pockets of my jeans. "So what's with the paperwork?" I asked semi-casually.
"I'm pretty sure you'll like this, but I have been wrong many times in my career..." He trailed off, purposely leaving me hanging.
"Go on," I said with mild interest. A small smile played on his lips as he broke the news.
"Kamorean has requested a formal truce."
And my mouth literally fell open.
"Kamorean, the cause of this war, Kamorean?" Julius nodded. I looked away, biting my lip.
Kamorean was the leader of the Forza, a group of my kind he gathered to rage against us. The Forza were a group of my kind he gathered to rage against us. The Forza were ruthless, trained for fighting us. Instead of just feeding from humans, leaving them alive, they sucked them completely dry. Because of this, the high amounts of blood in their system makes their eyes go a red-brown colour and their veins stood out a lot. They had been shunned in our society, but we didn't fight them.
Then Kamorean came along and formed a group with them, promising them that they would get rid of us, no longer be rejected. They believed him, and became loyal to him as he made them into an army.
The story was that Kamorean used to be of high status, a Prince among our kind. He was elected to become one of the four Kings of our council, but the other Kings denied him because of what he was. Furious, he swore to overthrow us, destroy our kind, and he's been trying ever since.
Julius cleared his throat, and I realized he'd been waiting for me to say something. I looked back at him, thinking this through carefully.
”Do you think he really means it?” I asked tentatively. He shook his head.
”I’m unsure. He didn’t come to me in person –he sent one of his familiars- but if he was game enough to try I think he’s serious about this.” I could tell by the sound of his voice that he’d spent much time thinking about this, considering all possible options.
”Well, it wouldn’t hurt to accept, see if he really wants to.”
”What my thoughts were exactly. I’ve signed my parts of the forma, and he requested you sing as well.” My eyes widened a little.
”Me? Why?” He began shuffling through the papers, looking for a certain one.
”My guess is that he knows you’re the most likely person to pose a threat to him aside from the Kings themselves.”
As I mulled this over, he pulled out a single, double-sided piece of paper. He handed it to me, and I quickly read through both sides, glad he hadn’t put in any of the infamous small-print. He held a pen out for, and I took it, poising it above the blank line at the bottom of the page.
”Worth a shot,” I sighed, and signed my name.
If this worked, a truce would be established and the war would be over. It sounded easy when you put it that way, but really it was near impossible to trust out worst enemy. Julius took the paper, checking it before he slid it back into the pile. He looked up at me, and I could tell he was worried about it as well.
”Let’s just sit back and watch how this plays out,” he said quietly, leaning back. I nodded, wondering if this was a good idea.
After all, a prophecy was about to be given for the outcome.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 2010 -1:32pm, Thursday.
Aleashya picked up the dirtied, torn flyer from the street at the edge of her school. The bold, cursive writing caught her eyes, and she read through it, sitting down against the wall of the rear side of the Gym, brushing her long brown hair out of her eyes.
Magyk~Market
For those interested in Magykal artifacts and intruiging talents. See amazing performances and wonderful gifts, and if you're game, stay for the late night horror show.

Under that it had a time, place, and where to buy tickets, which was at the door. She smiled to herself, reading over it again. This was something she'd be interested in, especially the show at the end.
Aleashya pulled out her mobile, checking the date. This saturday was when it was happening. Smiling to herself, she stood, pocketing the flyer. She picked up her satchel bag and slung it over her shoulder, walking back onto the grounds just as the bell went for her next class.
She'd have fun this weekend.

Saturday, 10:30am.
"But I really want to go!"
"No. You're not going." Her voice was firm, as a mother's voice normally was.
"Please? I'll do housework unpaid for a month! And I'm going with Caine." Caine was a friend of hers that her mother really liked, and mentioning him normally got her where she wanted to be.
"Caine?" Her mother asked, and she nodded. "Alice, I'm still not sure about this." She saw my expectant look, and sighed. "You'll have to ask your father."
"YES!" She yelled, punching the air in triumph. She knew she could get away with anything with her father, so as long as her mother agreed it was almost a definite yes. She high-fived her mother, then rushed down the tiny flight of stairs -there were about six steps- to go talk to her father.
As usual, Aleashya found him playing online games on his computer. She knocked on the wall, for lack of a door, and the old man glanced up briefly before returning his attention to the game.
"Yeah?" he asked, distracted by what was on the screen.
"Cain and I want to go to a late-night show, and wont be back 'til tomorrow. Is that okay?"
"No, you bastard!" Her eyes widened, but she soon came to understanding. "That was my loot you took! Ten gold worth!" She rolled her eyes dramatically at her father.
"Uh, Dad?"
"What? Yes, fine, whatever. Hah! That's what you get, thief." Sighing, she walked back upstairs to her room, closing the door behind her. She started tummaging through the mess around her bedroom, grabbing her wallet, a jacket and a few other things, stuffing them in her plain black satchel bag. She pulled her old flip phone out, dialling Caine's number. She put it to her ear, listening to it ring. He picked up on the third annoying ring noise.
"Alice! Can you go?" he asked, knowing her parents were more strict than his.
"Yeah. She asked me to talk to Dad about it, and you know how that goes," she replied, scoffing. Caine laughed, knowing perfectly well her father's habits.
"All settled then. I'll see in, what, a half hour?"
"Yep. See you later. If I manage to make the bus." He laughed again, then hung up. Smiling, Aleashya ran out to the kitchen and got a drink bottle out of the fridge, stuffing it in her bag on the way out the front door.
She ran down to the bus stop, flagging down the bus that was about to drive past, lucky she made it in time. She scanned her ticket, walking up to the back of the practically deserted bus.

The markets weren't as good as they'd thought, but it was still really enjoyable. Aleashya had bought a wooden charm for her bracelet, carved in the shape of a wolf standing and howling, and Caine had bought her a tiny sapphire-encrusted ring, the silver band with interlaced patterns between the eight blue stones, along with a tribal tooth necklace for himself. She fingered the ring as they walked, the cool metal sitting on the middle finger of her right hand. She liked that he'd bought her something, cared about her enough. He was brilliant.
The two were on their way to the midnight show now, the sky a deep purple, little fairy lights lighting up the bold signs posted around the grounds. They ended up at a small circus tent that made up the entrance to a large, abandoned warehouse. The two gave each other semi-nervous looks, then walked in through the open tent flap.
A portly man greeted them with an almost sadistic smile. He walked over, stretching his hand out in greeting. Caine bit his lip, nervous, but he took the man's hand and shook it, then she did.
"I presume you're here for our little show?" His voice was loud and obnoxious sounding, and he seemed as though he was overly cheery. Aleashya nodded, and his smile broadened, if that was even possible. "Riiiight this way," he cooed, dragging out the 'right'. Giving Caine another weird glance, we then followed the man through a door at the back of the tent.
"Don't we have to buy tickets?" Caine asked quietly. The robust man turned, the huge smile still on his face.
"I'm glad you asked!" He pulled two ticket out of... somewhere. I couldn't tell where. He then held them out for us to take. Aleashya raised an eyebrow, then started looking for her wallet in her bag. The man tutted, and she stopped, looking up. "No, no," he mumbled happily, the two of them looking at him bemusedly. "You don't pay for them with money. You pay with..." He leaned forward, his face mere inches from theirs. "You pay with fear."
She frowned, a little creeped out by him, and Caine went a shade or two paler. The man laughed, handing them the tickets before turning and continuing on his way. Aleashya brushed her hand against Caine's, and he gave her a half-smile.
They picked seats towards the middle rows, looking out over the other few rows of chairs below them and what looked like a circus ring set out on the ground. The other people they could see were all adults, and it occured to Aleashya this was clearly not a place they should really be.
A man walked out onto the stage area, dressed in tuxedo-style black clothing, a white undershirt, and a black tailcoat with the ends splaying out behind him as he walked, complementing his classic top hat. He bowed to the audience dramatically, and she got the feeling that he'd done this many, many times.
"Welcome, all, to Murder in the Dark, possibly the most frightening thing you will ever see in your lifetime. If you are weak of mind, I suggest you leave now." Nobody moved, and he smiled a little. "Well, alright then. Now, let us begin!"
The room applauded as the man turned to leave. Just as the room fell silent and the man disappeared behind the large boards at the back of the ring, the lights went out. She heard a few expectant murmurs, and then a deep purple spotlight flicked on, illuminating a cloud of smoke that now filled the ring. There was a silhouette in the middle of it, the shape looking much like a woman.
The woman raised her arms, and the smoke billowed and changed shape, forming an animal that looked like a dragon's head. She pushed the air to her sides with her hands, and the smoke dispersed, clearing the air. Aleashya expected that she would be able to see the woman, but she was gone just as fast as she appeared.

The show was amazingly performed and extremely greusome. It was about a zombie attack in the middle of the night -original, yes, but the way they did it made it absolutely horrifying and gut-wrenching to watch. It was also amazingly realistic.
A man cut a zombie's head clean off, its agonized screams lingering for a second or two, flourescent yellow blood spurting out all over the people in the ring. Caine put a hand to his mouth, his face a ghostly white in the semi-darkness.
"I have to go p-" His voice was strained as he stood, moving away before she could hear the end of his sentence. He got to the end of the row of chairs, then ran, heading for the open double doors.
Aleashya thought about going after him, to make sure he was okay, torn at by indecision. The lights went out again, and her decision was made for her
Because that's when the screams began.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woooow that's long. R&R please? Do you think I should keep it up here, or do I trash it? Should the chapters be shorter? Thanking ya'll for reading it!
~Kris