Status: Complete

God's Gonna Cut You Down

A Place to Stay

Eliza stood in the middle of the room, frozen and unsure of what to do next. It wouldn't be long before Tommy sent someone else after her, not to mention, there'd be police after her now. Her fingerprints were all over the room, and she didn't have time to clean it, and it was pointless to do anything about the body. She looked down at her bloodstained hands and clothes. A shower! She at least had time for a shower. She went into the bathroom that was attached to the small motel room she was renting and turned the hot water all the way on. She stripped down and got in. She stood there letting the water hit her, turning her skin red from the heat. She watched as the blood mixed with the water and went down the drain until there was no more.

She redressed and packed the few things she had unpacked before Mike had shown up, then she grabbed her keys and left without bothering to check out. Maybe the police would think she had been kidnapped and her kidnapper stole her car as well. She got on the interstate and headed for Boston. She refused to stop, not even for food, unless she needed gas. She drove through the night and through the day. As she came up to the "You are now entering Boston, Massachusetts" sign her stomach grumbled. She glanced at the clock, it was already getting close to the time she'd normally eat dinner. She seen a small pub that was starting to fill with patrons. Eliza hoped that the size of the place meant a very small amount of people would notice her.

Eliza pulled out her scarf and sunglasses, tying the scarf around her head and placing the sunglasses on her nose, she hoped to go mostly unnoticed. She pulled the strap of her purse up to her shoulder and got out of the car, locking the door behind her, she headed for the pub. The owner was an elderly man with tourette syndrome, but his frequent cussing didn't bother her as she picked a place out of the way to sit. She sat there by herself until it got closer to closing time. When she had finally decided to try to find a motel to stay in for the night the elderly man walked up to her. "What's a girl like you doing in a place like this?"

She looked up at him, "I...um...I'm just visiting Boston." Somehow she managed to tell the elderly man very little, even though she had been drowning herself in alcohol all night.

"I'll call you a cab. Where are you staying?"

"Nowhere...yet."

He took pity on the poor girl. It was obvious she was in distress about something. It wasn't very often that a girl came into McGinty's. Especially not a pretty one, and not by herself either. "I have a spare room you can stay in," he told her.

"That's not necessary," she said, shaking her head, "Thank you though." She remembered to smile politely before getting up to leave.

"I insist," he told her. "Besides, it's much safer than wandering around all night by yourself looking for a motel."

She sighed and reluctantly accepted his offer. After the last of the patrons had gone the man led her to the spare room. There was a pool table in the middle of the room and a couch up against the wall on the other side.

"I'll be right back with a pillow and a blanket."

"Thank you." The man turned and left the room. She sat her bag down next to the couch and looked around. On the wall was a picture of him and two brunette boys. They looked happy. When she heard the man return she asked, "Are these your sons?"

He shook his head, "No, but they're like sons."

She smiled. How nice it would have been to have had siblings, especially brothers. People to look out for her and keep her out of the mess she had gotten herself into.

"They're good boys," he said, "Despite what anyone else may think." Realizing he and the girl hadn't even been properly introduced he said, "You can call me Doc, by the way."

Eliza took a deep breath before saying, "I'm Liz." The two shared a smile before he turned around to leave the room. She turned the light off the laid down, trying to get as comfortable as possible on the small couch. Not that it would do her any good. She didn't sleep. After laying there all night she finally got up early in the morning and freshened herself up in the bathroom. Then she walked into the bar, it was empty. She found a pen and a pad of paper and wrote Doc a note:

Doc,
Thank you for your hospitality last night. It was greatly appreciated. I wish I had time to thank you in person, but I'm in a hurry. I hope you'll take this fifty as a token of my gratitude for you giving me a place to stay last night. Plus, what I owe you for what I bought last night.
Thank you again,
Liz


She pulled her wallet out of her purse and pulled out a fifty, plus what she owed for her tab. She folded the money up in the letter and placed it in a spot she was sure Doc would see before leaving.