Status: Complete

God's Gonna Cut You Down

Happy Birthday

"I'll handle the cake, Murphy and Connor, I want you two to decorate, Eunice is going to get the present, and Romeo, I want you to take Eliza into town for groceries, that way we'll have time to get everything ready," Paul said. Three days had passed, and it was Eliza's birthday. She was still upstairs asleep, and everyone else was huddled around the kitchen table. "I want everything to be perfect for Eliza's first birthday."

"Paul, it's her twenty-third birthday," Eunice said.

He groaned, "I know that! But it's the first one I get to spend with her, so it might as well be her first."

Just then Eliza appeared in the doorway. "What is everyone talking about?" she asked.

"Nothing really," Paul said quickly. "Eliza, why don't you go get dressed, you and Romeo are going to go pick up some groceries."

"Um...okay." She turned and left the room.

Paul's eyes bored into Romeo, "Whatever you do, do NOT let it slip that we're doing this for her."

"Don't worry, my lips are sealed."

Ten minutes later Eliza returned, dressed and ready to go. Paul handed her his cell phone, "If you run into any trouble, Eunice's number is two on the speed dial."

"Don't worry, we'll be fine," Eliza said. It had been a week since she found her father, and she was no longer worried about Tommy finding her. She was truly safe here. Paul, Eunice, Romeo, Murphy, and even Connor were her family now. They would protect her no matter what.

"You ready to go?" Romeo asked.

She nodded and as she followed him outside Paul shouted, "Happy birthday!" to her, which made her smile. There were two cars, one was a four door sedan that looked rather old, and the other was a black SUV. They got in the sedan and Romeo started the engine. It was a long drive into town, but Eliza didn't mind.

As they were gathering their groceries Eliza noticed the do-it-yourself hair dyes, and started looking at them. "What are you doing?" Romeo asked.

"I've wanted to dye my hair for a long time, but never bothered, and I'm sure I'm safe now, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and change my hair color."

"Brown would look good on you," he said. "It would go with your skin."

She looked down at her arm and shrugged, "Probably, but in a few more days I'll be pale now that I'm not going to the beach every day. I was actually thinking more of this color," she picked up a box. The model on the cover hard dark reddish-brown hair that flowed down in loose waves.

"That would be pretty too."

"Yeah...I'm not sure though."

"While you look at that I'm going to go get the bread. I'll be back in a few minutes."

Eliza nodded, "Okay." Romeo walked away, pushing the cart in front of him, and Eliza continued looking at the different dyes.

As she went to pick one box up she heard an all-too-familiar, husky voice behind her, "Happy Birthday Lizzy."

Her eyes widened in terror and she turned around to face one of the two men she had hoped to never see again.