Status: Complete

God's Gonna Cut You Down

Father/Daughter Time

Eliza sat alone in her bedroom. Her back was against the headboard of her bed and her legs were stretched out across it, and crossed at her ankles. She sat there thinking about nothing in particular while staring at the small lamp that had been put in her room. She only knew she was looking at it because it created little golden spots in her vision that almost seemed to sparkle. "Keep it up, and you just might bust the light bulb with your mind," she heard from the door way.

The sudden noise caused her to be startled, but when she realized it was her father, she smiled. "I don't think I'm ever going to get used to your voice," she told him. His voice was deep and gravelly, and she was happy that even though she looked like him, her voice was soft like her mom's.

"You didn't brush your hair."

She rolled her eyes and listened to his footsteps as he walked over to the dresser where her hairbrush sat. For a moment he blocked out the spots from the light. She listened as he crossed the room to her bed, and sat down next to her, causing the old mattress to sink down some with his added weight.

Before he started brushing her hair he said, "We got you a birthday present." An average sized box was placed in her lap, "I already cut the tape off, so all you have to do is open it."

Eliza nodded and as she opened the lid Paul started brushing her hair. The weight of the water straightened the curls, and caused it to be nearly twice it's length, almost reaching her waist. She reached inside the box and pulled out a smaller blue one. It was smooth like porcelain or ceramic and had some kind of bumpy golden trim. The top of it was curved and on the front was a little figurine. She ran her thumb over it "A mermaid!" she smiled. She looked up at Paul and asked, "How did you know I love mermaids?"

"Don't tell anyone I told you, but Connor read it in your journal."

She groaned, "Normally I'd be mad, but since he did help save my life, I'll forgive him....this time."

She and Paul both smiled and he said, "Open it."

She lifted the lid, it was on hinges, and music started to play. "It's beautiful."

"There's something else inside," he urged her on.

She stuck her hand in the small box and felt a delicate chain. She pulled it out and ran her fingers down the length of the chain, finding a mermaid charm at the end. It was a necklace. "I would ask you to put it on me," she smiled, "but I don't want to break the chain in my sleep."

"I understand," he told her. She placed the necklace back in the music box and sat there listening to the music while Paul continued to brush her hair. "It's engraved."

"What is?"

"The box. On the lid it says: 'Happy Birthday Eliza. Love Eunice, Romeo, Connor, Murphy, and Dad.'"

Eliza smiled. It was the first time either of them had referred to him out loud as her 'dad'. It was usually just her 'father' or Paul. "I'm so happy here. When I was little, I was always asking my mom about you, and she'd never tell me anything. When I was ten she finally gave me that Polaroid of the two of you and told me your name, and how she had met you." There was a moment of silence then Eliza added, "I always wanted siblings, and now I feel like I have a family. A real family. I can have girl talk with Eunice, and Romeo is so funny. And I hate to admit it, but as much as he irritates me, I love Connor....in a brotherly way-"

"And then there's Murphy," he finished for her.

"Yeah," she smiled as she pictured him in her mind. "I don't know what it is about him, but when I'm with him I-"

"I'm not sure if I want to have this conversation," Paul interrupted.

Eliza rolled her eyes and continued, "You know that feeling the prince and princess have in fairy tales when they see each other for the very first time, and they know they'll never ever be able to live without the other one?"

"Sure."

"That's the feeling I get when I'm with Murphy. I think I love him."

"Maybe you should tell him that."

"She doesn't have to," Murphy said from the doorway.

"I'm going to give you two some privacy." Paul hugged her before getting up.

"I love you daddy," she whispered in his ear.

"I love you too," he whispered back.

She smiled, feeling the mattress rise as her father got up. He put her hair brush back before leaving the room. Eliza listened for Murphy's footsteps on the hard wood floor, but he was barefoot so she didn't know he had moved until he had sat down on the bed next to her.