Status: Active

When the Moon Fell in Love with the Sun

As Long as You Can

Katelyn had come home to an empty apartment one night in July, finding a note set on the kitchen counter saying that Brendon had gone out with some friends. The girl had gotten off work earlier than she had expected and there wasn't much traffic so she was home at a reasonable hour for once. Smiling at the thought of having the entire place to herself, she put on some music and began to unwind from the day, taking a bubble bath and having a glass of wine.
When she was finally relaxed, Katelyn turned off the stereo and found some sheet music she had copied at the local library. It had been a few weeks since she last played, and since she always felt nervous performing in front of Brendon, she practiced whenever she was alone.
Eyeing the Haydn piece hungrily, the girl tuned her violin by ear and stood in the living room, staring at the music on the stand in front of her, imagining how it would sound, then she began to play.

Brendon returned home from a night out with the guys around twelve thirty, only to hear the soft sound of classical music floating from behind the door to his apartment. Katelyn must have been playing, because it didn't sound like anything he had on CD. He had a feeling that she was embarrassed to play for him when it was just the two of them, but he never knew why. She had been concert master in the advanced orchestra in high school, and had played with orchestras throughout Southern California, so she obviously had talent. Brendon always wanted to practice a violin/cello duet with her, but she was hesitant.
Finally working up the heart to interrupt her session, he unlocked the door and walked in, smiling at the girl standing in the living room.

"Don't stop because of me!"
The music had suddenly halted once he had stepped through the front door, making him frown.
"It's okay, I was done anyways. My fingers are killing me." Katelyn partially lied, stretching out her cramping fingers and thinking about how she could have played for another half an hour. She set her instrument and bow down on the couch, approaching Brendon and giving him a light, welcoming kiss. Katelyn almost immediately pulled away, her nose scrunched up with a look of disgust on her face.
"What?" Brendon looked at her oddly, trying to figure out what had offended her.
"Were you smoking?!" Katelyn stared up at him impatiently, her hands folding themselves across her chest.
He knew he couldn't lie to her, she had tasted it on his lips. There was nothing he could do now.
"Yeah. A couple of my friends and I went and had a few drinks, so I had a couple cigarettes." Usually Brendon chewed some peppermint gum after finishing the cancer sticks for the night, but he had obviously forgotten this time. This was a fatal mistake on his part.
"Since when did you start smoking?" Concern, rather than anger, was apparent in the girl's shimmering hazel eyes. Brendon noticed that they were more green than brown tonight, and despite the fact that they completely entranced him, he was afraid of what she thought about him now.
"A year, maybe? I don't go and smoke a pack a day, Kate. I'm a social smoker… One or two cigarettes when I'm out with friends, which isn't that often. It's not a big deal." He could tell that this was weighing heavy on her heart, but his conscience was clean.
"It doesn't matter what kind of smoker you are, you're still doing it." Katelyn thought for a second, trying to figure out what she was going to do next. Instead, she told him to forget about it. Katelyn knew wasn't worth fighting over right now; her head was a little cloudy from the Zinfandel she had been drinking.
"Wait, what?" Brendon was amazed that she was just going to give up on something she seemed so put off by. Then he noticed her glassy eyes and the empty wine glass sitting beside a half empty bottle on the coffee table.
"Someone's been having their own little party, huh?"
Katelyn sent him an annoyed look, telling him to take a shower because he reeked of his Newports.
"I don't smoke Newports, Kate. Jesus, what kind of animal do you think I am?" Brendon's chuckle was short lived when he realized that he probably shouldn't have been joking around about this when she was just going to let it go. He quickly retreated to the bedroom, pulling off his clothes and throwing them in his hamper before entering the bathroom to take a shower.

When he got out of the shower, Katelyn wasn't in the bedroom, but the door to the guest room was closed and the light was on. Apparently she wasn't speaking to him, so once he had dried off and put on some sweat pants and a shirt, Brendon grabbed one of his electric guitars sitting in the corner of the room and went into the living room, plugging it into the amp. He put on the headphones that had been resting on top of the amp, then sat on the couch and pulled the pick out of one of the frets. Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath, he began to strum whatever chords came to mind. Much to his surprise, he liked the sound his fingers were creating.

Katelyn had quietly left the guest room when she heard Brendon softly humming wordlessly to the music he was making. She saw that his eyes were shut and a smile was on his lips, so he must have liked what he was hearing. The girl had needed some time to herself to get over the fact that Brendon had apparently been smoking for a good amount of time now and that she would just have to accept it. She wasn't going to force him to do anything he didn't want to do, even if that included giving up cigarettes.
Amazed that Brendon hadn't felt her presence in front of him, she switched off the amp, watching a look of confusion hit his face as his brows furrowed. When he finally opened his chocolate brown eyes, Katelyn smiled at the glint of relief in them.
"Hey, how long was I zoned out for?" Brendon knew that he could play for hours once he started.
"Not too long… From what I could tell, it seemed like what you were playing sounded good."
Brendon nodded, taking the headphones off and slipping them on the girl's head, turning the amp back on so he could serenade her with what he had been working on. He watched her smile as soon as he had started to play, and every time his finger slipped or he hit a wrong chord, Katelyn unconsciously winced a little at the off noise. She didn't even realize that she was doing it; it was just a habit.
"Sorry, you're making me kinda nervous…" Brendon apologized to her quickly and she nodded in understanding. That's why she ever played violin in front of him.
"I have off tomorrow, so maybe we can do that duet you've been wanting to try out? I copied some music from the library last time I was there…" Katelyn pulled the headphones so that they were hanging around her neck and she nodded to the cello resting in its case on the other side of the room.
"I dunno if I'm feeling an orchestral duet. I think I'd rather conduct our own symphony." Brendon winked, and Katelyn just stared at him for a couple of seconds, trying to figure out what he meant.
"Wait. Do you mean-? Did you just reference-? Oh God…" She covered her face with her hands, feeling her cheeks turn red when she realized what he meant.
"C'mon. Let's go to bed. It's almost 2:30 and I want to be well rested for our activities tomorrow, or well, today." Brendon laughed, taking Katelyn with one hand and keeping a grip on the neck of his guitar with the other, leading the way to the bedroom.

The pair spent practically the first half of Katelyn's day off in bed together, ignoring any outside factors that tried to interrupt them. Katelyn had missed being intimate with Brendon during the time they weren't together. He seemed to know exactly what to do to get her heart racing and it made the girl's stomach twist into knots to know that someone could do that to her. In turn, Brendon felt that the only person he would ever be satiated with. She was all that he could want or need in order to be content and happy with himself. Music and Katelyn were the only things Brendon needed in his life at all times, and he knew that now. There was no way in hell that he would ever purposely do anything to mess things up again.
"Brenny, whatcha thinking about? You look lost in space…" Katelyn was pulling on a pair of shorts and a tank top, having decided half an hour earlier that they needed to shower and get ready to face the real world for the day.
Brendon had been haphazardly drying his hair with a towel, staring blankly into the distance as he somewhat watched his girlfriend get dressed.
"What? Oh, nothing. I was just daydreaming about you." He sent her a pensive glance, smiling brightly as she approached him.
"There's no need to dream when I'm right here." Katelyn took the towel from his hands and put it over his head, helping to speed up the process and dry his hair faster.
"Why don't you just use a blowdryer?" The girl muttered more to herself when she finished scrubbing and tossed the towel onto the bed. Brendon merely shrugged, grabbing the towel and going to put it in the bathroom to dry.

"So what are we doing for the rest of the day?" Brendon sat on the kitchen counter as Katelyn got herself a glass of water from the freezer door.
"I dunno. We could call up Spencer and Ryan and see if they want to do something with us… Unless you want to keep me all to yourself."
It was obvious to Katelyn that Brendon was hesitant to invite Ryan anywhere right now. He was still miffed about being the last to know about the girl's move and Brendon didn't know how to handle his irate friend.
"Bren, you're gonna have to just apologize and move on."
"I already told him that I was sorry! I don't know what more I can do!" Brendon threw his hands up in annoyance and Katelyn empathized with him.
"Ryan will get over it in his own time then. All you can do is be there when he does. Let's call them up and see if they're busy. The worst Ry can say is no. Spence will definitely want to chill though." She shrugged, popping a few green grapes into her mouth and tossing one into Brendon's from a few feet away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright. I'm out of town July 4th to the 11th. I might be able to pump out another chapter before I leave, but don't hold me to it!

Please feel free to comment, subscribe, and continue being awesome.