Don't Forget

did you regret ever standing by my side

That was supposed to be it. Our pretty little story ended because he liked his options open on tour and I was tied down in the town we’d grown up in. We were different people going in different directions, just like he’d said, just like we always had been. After he left though, I worked hard to forget him and eventually, I succeeded. Somewhat.

I wasn’t quite sure how I’d ended up at the party. I only remembered Gerard making the puppy pout and then James joining in with him, and of course Amy ‘dolling me up’ for three hours.

I somehow managed to lose all three of them in the house though so now I was just roaming by myself. I giggled at the drunk idiots and swayed as I walked to the music playing while I searched faces for someone I knew.

My feet glued to the ground when his green eyes met mine. My pulse sped up and my hands went immediately behind my back. His smile never dropped as he said a farewell to whoever he was talking to and started his way toward me. I couldn’t even begin to fake a smile.

“Hey,” his greeting was breathless and my poor little heart nearly gave out.

“Hello.” I nodded and was more surprised that my voice was strong and steady.

It was quiet between us. He was staring at me and I was trying not to stare at him.

“How’ve you been?” I almost wanted to roll my eyes at the statement. Two years since he broke my heart and he wants to now how I’ve been?

I shifted and played with the ring on my finger. “Fine. You?”

His smile widened and my stomach dropped. “Good. Touring, a lot. But it’s fun. Halvo’s around here somewhere, if you want to say hi.”

“Crazy Halvo.” I nodded and looked around. I needed someone to save me.

“You – you look beautiful, Elissa.” I looked at him in shock and he just smiled. That gorgeous smile that made my heart swell and insides scream. Now it just made me nervous.

I did the first thing I could think of to get myself out of the trouble I was already in. Unfortunately it was the worst idea ever. “I’m engaged.” I blurted it and took my hands out from behind my back to show him the ring.

It was dead quiet between us now. He looked at the ring briefly before staring at my face again. He looked considerably paler. “You’re getting … married?”

I bit my bottom lip and nodded. “This coming summer.” I saw James from the corner of my eye with Gerard, but I couldn’t run to them now. The damage was done and those green eyes looking at me so expectantly were so heartbroken, I couldn’t even imagine walking away. “You’re invited of course. I just, haven’t been able to get an invitation out since I don’t really know where you’re staying anymore.”

He watched me fiddle with the ring. “We’re supposed to be on Warped Tour this summer.”

“Oh.” My shoulders slump and I force myself not to fall for it. “Well …”

“You’re really going to get married?” He looks hurt as his eyes lock with mine again. He’s not smiling anymore. He doesn’t even look like he’s trying to fake it either. He just looks heartbroken, like I’m the one crushing our happy ending.

I drop my eyes to the ring for a moment. I’d imagined this senerio a few times. In all of my day dreams I would take the ring off and throw it over my shoulder before throwing myself into Nick’s waiting open arms. I looked back up at him and cleared my throat. Reality.

“Yeah, I am. He’s a really great guy, too. You’d get along with him well. He was actually a musician in L.A. for a while so you’d probably have a lot in common.” I forced my mouth to shut as I heard the words. It was definitely not right to talk about James with Nick. They were two separate times of my life that should not be connected.

“What’s his name?” I could hear the twinge of anger in his voice and I was determined to steer this conversation away from such troublesome areas, but I closed my mouth. Gerard and James had spotted me already and were making their way over. I gave Nick a half smile before the two stumbled upon us.

“There you are, my love.” James used a fake British accent and kissed my cheek as he wrapped his arms around me. Nick looked absolutely stunned. Gerard was shocked as well.

“Nick Santino, what the hell are you doing here?” Gerard made the comment sound both teasing and menacing. He glanced at me to see which he should continue with. I gave a small shrug that only he would notice.

“Nothing much man. Just stopping through town to see everybody.” Nick smiled but it wasn’t a real smile, I could tell. The way his eyes stayed on James made me uneasy but it was nothing to the feeling I got when he looked into mine and arched his eyebrows. “Aren’t you going to introduce me, Lissy?”

I wanted to glare and be angry, but I still melted at the nick name. James squeezed my side and pulled me from my old times day dreams. “Um, yeah, this is Nick, an old friend from school.” The smug look on Nick’s face practically shattered into heartbroken with those simple words. I hoped I was the only one who noticed. “And Nick, this is James,” I placed my hand on his chest, only noticing the ring on my finger after it sparkled there. I smiled sadly. “My fiancé.”

“And the luckiest guy in this whole fucking state.” James chuckled and kissed my jaw, holding me tighter to him. He then buried his face in my neck, hitting my ticklish spot and making me giggle as I fell into him.

“And I think it’s time to go find Amy.” Gerard nodded and started heading off. My eyes widened as I realized that would leave me alone with James and Nick. My throat started to close from the nerves. James didn’t seem to feel the tension in the slightest.

“It’s nice to meet you, man.” James leaned forward some, one arm still around me, and extended his hand toward Nick. I could see the effort Nick made to shake James hand instead of death glaring at him.

“Glad I could. I’m not in town much anymore.” Nick gave a small smile that looked so fake, I was almost positive even James could tell.

“Cause you’re in a band, right? Touring and stuff?” My mouth fell open and Nick’s eyes widened before turning to me.

“Yeah.” Nick said slowly as he stretched out the vowels and turned his eyes back to James. “Did, uh, did Elissa tell you about me?” There was such hope in his voice as he questioned how James knew he was in a band. I frowned.

“Oh, no. I recognized you, from this picture I saw on the Internet. You’re from A Rocket To The Moon, right?” Nick nodded. “Yeah, you had a show a few weeks back in Boston. I was going to take E, here, to see you. I didn’t know you guys knew each other though. Small world, huh?”

I swallowed as Nick nodded again and stared straight in my eyes. “Such a small world.” He sighed and then ran his hand through his hair. “I’ll let you guys go. Enjoy the rest of the party.”

“You don’t have to go.” I blurted and barely contained myself from reaching out toward him. He blinked and smiled a little.

“I should. I can see I’m the third wheel here.” He smiled to James. “Don’t let this one go.” He bit his bottom lip as he cut his eyes at me. “It’ll be the worst mistake you’ll ever make.” I could barely breathe. It almost sounded like he was giving the advice from experience, but that was ridiculous. Nick left me, not the other way around. He’d wanted space and time.

My eyes started tearing up as I pulled myself from James to be in Nick’s arms once more. I hugged his waist and buried my face in his shoulder. It felt comforting. His body was tense at first, but then his arms wrapped around me tightly and his lips kissed my temple gently.

“Congratulations, Lissy. You deserve it.” He whispered into my ear before detaching from our hug. We stood there for a few seconds, just looking at each other with forlorn expressions, before he turned and left.

I returned to James side and let him lead me to find Gerard and Amy in the mass of people. I drank some and danced a little with my fiancé. I talked to more kids and finally I went home. I pretended like I was okay and still in love, but the truth was that I was heartbroken all over again.
♠ ♠ ♠
LOVE. This isn't as sad, but it still made me frown : ( I hate making Nicky the bad guy, even though he's technically not the bad guy in this one. I'd love some more comments on you guys' thoughts. This will be over in about two or three more chapters. xooxEmber