Status: Writin' like crazy, keep reading. Story's finally taking off.

Infest

He's Still Around

Blake's eyelids were heavy, overshadowing his retinas as his eyes slowly eased open. He was in the elevator with Samuel. The lights were on, shining down upon him like the reflection of God. They blinded his eyes, to the point where he thought that the brightness would be etched into his sight. He shut his eyes, and adjusted to the feeling. He adjusted to being awake.
Blake stood up, and and once again eased his eyes open. His pupils had grown by now, and he was accustomed to the light. He had lost the sense of passage of time.
"Sam, what time is it right now?" came the words from Blake's mouth. He stepped into the red carpeted hallway. The walls were wooden, and they had a special feel to them. Expensive, important.
"I don't know. You were out for about an hour. I'd say it must be about ten - perhaps eleven at night. You slept pretty well, and you fell asleep fast." replied Sam.
"I suppose I did." Blake said. He began to walk more swiftly, his mind fading into different manners than the repetitive task of walking at hand. Dylan killed me in that dream. But, Dylan's dead. It's obviousl - it's my mind sorting through problems. That's all it is. That's all it can be. Where the hell are we anyway? Whe -
"When are we getting to your room?" Blake finished out loud. "I'm tired." even though he knew that was a lie. There was something he needed to see.
"We're going to get there in a little bit, Blake. I need to talk to you when we get there. It's just down the hall." Sam finished. They continued to walk for a little, and they finally came upon a wooden door. It was elegantly decorated, and it obviously lead to a luxurious living space. Samuel pulled out his key, and unlocked the door. He lead Blake into what seemed to be an extremely large, luxurious, apartment.
"Holy shit, Sam. Was it always this big?" asked Blake.
"It's new." replied Sam, unemotionally. "Blake, I think you need to sit down. I'll - " he paused. "I'll go make you a coffee." and with that, Sam walked to the machine. Blake sat on the couch, which had a coffee table in front of it. It was an oddly arranged room, you know. When you walk in, the stairs face you. The kitchen is to the right, with white tiles, and the family room area is to the left. It's a very nice set up. Samuel returned with a cup of coffee as Blake returned from his assessment of the area.
"Blake, we need to talk." said Sam, trying to find a way to ease into the conversation. Blake's mind was elsewhere. There was something else he needed to find in this house. Something he had hidden years ago. The reason he'd run away so quickly, and abruptly.
"What is it, Sam?" asked Blake, moderately nervous. Samuel rarely had these talks, as emotional as he was.
"Well uh - I - I don't know quite how to start." said Sam.
"Just say it," replied Blake. "just say it."
"Zack is still around." said Sam. Blake's eyes became a bit wider, and it was blatant that he was caught off guard. "He called looking for you a few days ago. That's why I brought you here. What the hell could Zack want from you again, Blake? He was adamant about needing to speak to you." Blake was astonished. He just didn't answer. What could Zack possibly want? He was my best friend, and he threw me right under the bus. We -
"- we seperated years ago." Blake finished out loud.
"I know, Blake, I know." replied Sam. "The past always catches up with us."
"When did he call?" asked Blake.
"He called two days before I called you. It took me a while to get through to you again. It's been so long, I had no way to find you." replied Sam.
"Well... What do I do? If Zack is still around... Then what about the others? What about Phillip?" asked Blake. He was mentally outgunned, by an invisible power. He was outgunned not by a power, but a concept. The concept of defeat. "How do I find him?"
"He wrote down an address. I - I think we should wait before we go." Sam yawned. "I'm exhausted, Blake. We should get some rest.
"Yeah," Blake said. "We should." Blake finished. Samuel lead Blake up the stairs to his room. Samuel took the room with the large T.V., but Blake got the room with the laptop. Blake blinked.
"Here you go," Sam said. "Good night." Blake and Sam said their goodnights, and he watched Sam leave. When he left, he scratched his head. He didn't care about the computer. This is the room that held what he was looking for. Blake went over to the right corner of this grey-carpeted, square room. He pulled up the carpet a little bit, to find what he had been searching for hidden beneath. What he had come here for. A tape, and a cassette player. He put the tape inside, and sat on the bed. He turned on the player. It was grainy. A voice began to play.

Interview DFJ87
Dylan Kraikowski Case
18:34PM

I: Do you know about the murder of Dylan Kraikowski?
B: Yes. (There was a pause) Everyone does.
I: How do you feel about the murder?
(There was a five second silence)
B: It's a tragedy that someone so young had to die. And in such a brutal way.
I: Do you know -
(There was a pause)
I: - Phillip McMallan?
B: I've seen him around.
(There was a ten second interval, and it became increasingly grainy)
B: He's a little guy, not too tall.
I: Do you know anything about the incident that Phillip has reported?
B: All I know is that Dylan was killed.
I: You can't tell me anything?
(There was a five second pause)
I: You can't tell me anything?
B: No.
(There was a twenty second pause)
I: Was Zack Jodenburg aquainted with Phillip or Dylan?
(There was a pause)
B: No. Zack wasn't friends with either.
I: Are you positive?
B: Yes. Zack is my good friend.
I: Do you know that Zack has a criminal record? He's gotten into fights.
B: I know he has. Zack is my best friend.
I: Does it not strike you as odd that the man reported to have assaulted Phillip - the second man - is described almost exactly with Zack's features? And the man with the knife, was described as pale, and dark - haired? Does that not strike a reaction?
(There was a thirty second pause)
I: Answer my question.
B: No. It does not.
(There was a moderately long silence)
I: What about -
(There was a small, but notable pause)
I: Alyce McDevon - Was she involved in th -
B: Alyce McDevon has absolutely nothing to do with this at all!

End tape DFJ87
♠ ♠ ♠
B - Blake
I - Interviewer