I Think I Killed You, Honey

Chapter 4

I walk into school as it starts to rain. Behind me, a group of Luke’s friends are already walking and laughing together with him. I spot my best friend, Nikky, and I walk over to hug her. Her hair is auburn, and very short. She smells like strawberries and vanilla. “Hey, girl! How was your weekend?” she asked, smiling warmly. “Kimothy didn’t starve you, did she? You’ve grown skinnier!”

I laugh and shake my head. I haven’t been eating much. We walk together to homeroom while Nikky yammers on about the beach party she and a group of other people went to on Saturday. “Oh, Lex, you should have been there! Thom looked extra fine in his trunks” she winks. Thom is my boyfriend of only 8 months, but I think we’d last forever. We enter the ICT class, where our homeroom is; Thom spots me and rises from his seat. His short black hair has recently been dyed blonde at the sides, and the piercing on his lip glints silver. His nose is sloped perfectly, his eyes bright green and sharp.

He pulls me into a warm embrace and whispers “Hey, lovely” in my ear. He smells nice. It’s the type of smell that doesn’t come from cologne, or a soap bottle. I smile at the nickname he’d given me since we met. I’m about to reply when a bony hand pulls at Thom’s shoulder, drawing him away from me.

I stare piercingly at Carla, who has just dragged Thom into a conversation she’s having with a group of friends. “So, Thom, we were just talking about how you were so good with the jet skis on Saturday. You must have been jet skiing your whole life!” she purrs, looking at him expectantly.

“Uhh, yeah—no, I’ve only jet skied a few times before.” He says, looking nervous.
“Well,” Carla says, while lightly tracing her fingers slowly down his arm “Maybe we should go again next weekend. You know, just the two of us, you could teach me how you wo—.”
I gently tug at Thom’s arm, digging my nails a little into his skin, just to release some of my anger, and I say “Oh, Thom would really love to hang out with you, but he’s got a girlfriend, if you haven’t noticed.” A few people have stopped what they’re doing to watch what was going on. Nikky gets up from where she sits with her friend, Katie, and comes to stand beside me, just in case I need back-up.

“Oops, sorry, I didn’t notice. It didn’t seem like he had one, especially since he didn’t mind me clinging onto him at the beach. It seemed like he enjoyed it, even” she smirks, and shrugs. I realize that my nails are digging into Thom’s tan skin so tightly so I let go, and he starts to bleed a little. “Maybe Thom should speak for himself,” she growls, “I’ll never hurt him like you just did” she says, cocking her chin to the trickle of blood running down Thom’s arm. Nikky’s about to retort something back, but I gently touch her arm.

“Well, that’s because you won’t be alive to do it” I pull my fist up, gathering momentum. I quickly calculate how much force it will take to break her little nose. I’m about to swing my fist when Thom’s manly hand grabs mine in his, and he tries to hug me. But I push him away as harshly as I can and I run to the bathroom, where my head would be able to clear, and where I would be able to think.