Status: This story will be updated slowly - but fear not, I will still do it. I'm an English major in college, so I have a ton of homework, so please be patient with me!

Love's Horrid Fruit

014

Hermione

I must have walked past the library doors a hundred times. Each time I knew I was going to walk through them, but each time I grabbed the handles, I panicked. I hated being afraid of the library. Small waves of irritation and anger pulsed through me as I kept backing away from the doors. I took a deep breath as I looked at the doors leading into the library's second floor, and I knew I was going to be able to do it this time. Walking forward, I held my head up as I reached for the handles. However as soon as I touched them, the thought of Draco Malfoy being on the other side made me stop. With a dull thud, my head fell against the wooden doors.

"Come on, Hermione," I whispered to myself, "It's just Malfoy. So what if he called you a name?"

So what? It hurt, that's what.

Sighing, I gripped the door handles firmly in my hands, and pulled on them. Stepping into the library, my heart raced and my breathing sped up. I wrung my hands in front of me while I stood there like and idiot, my feet forgetting how to move. My eyes scanned the various alcoves the second floor had to offer, stopping on pre-historic magic. The sight of it alone sent my heart leaping into my throat and my stomach down into a pit of dread.

He was in there.... I just knew it.

Holding my head up, I forced my hands to my side and my feet to move. I walked through the library as slowly as possible, as to give myself time to relax. I stopped a few feet from the opening and took a deep breath. Clearing my head, I rounded the corner and found Draco bent over a book. I would have turned away if he hadn't spotted me.

"Hermione." He got up from his chair, but didn't move, "I... I didn't think you would come."

"I almost didn't." I replied.

Draco frowned and looked down.

Turning to the entrance, I pulled out my wand, "Muffliato." Turning back to Draco, I said, "You really hurt my feelings today, Draco. I know that we agreed to act the same and pretend that we hate each other, but I don't want you to use that word anymore... it hurts."

"Hermione, I didn't-"

I held my hand up, cutting him off, "Please, just let me finish. Harry and Ron are my friends, much like Crabbe and Goyle are yours. I can only imagine that your dislike of Harry and Ron is equal to mine of Crabbe and Goyle. Seeing that is how it is, I don't see myself changing my opinion on them, so I won't expect you to either. However, a small amount of respect should be in order... on both sides... seeing that we are around them a lot."

Draco looked up at me, frowning, "There is too much hate in me to allow myself to be descent to Harry Potter. I don't care who you blame, but I blame him. If it weren't for him, my family wouldn't be in our current condition."

"You can't possibly be serious," I said, "Your father's shame is nothing but his own fault. He's a spineless oaf who can't do anything right, because he's much too focused on his own status."

"Don't you dare talk about my father that way!" Draco had launched himself from the table to me, gripping my arms in his hands. I winced in pain as he squeezed. "You will never talk to me about my family like that again.... Do you understand me? Ever." With the last word, he forcefully pushed me away, causing me to stumble backwards.

I didn't say anything, suddenly ashamed of myself for saying those things out loud. Seeing him still waiting for an answer, I nodded. The two of us stood there, looking at each other. Malfoy looking angry and me ashamed - and a bit scared. The tension was thick between us, jabbing at us like bolts of electricity. Draco turned and left to go back to his table.

"Well?" I asked.

Turning to me he asked, "Well what?" His voice was harsh.

"Aren't you going to say anything? Apologies to me?"

"Oh, did I hurt your feelings?" He was mocking me.

Anger flew into me, "Don't talk to me like I'm Pansy, Draco. I am not some whore you can shove around. Now... I demand that you apologies to me."

He looked at me, but was quiet.

"Well?"

"I'm sorry for insulting your friends."

"And?"

He shrugged.

I groaned in anger, "You're not going to apologies to me?"

"I thought I just did."

"I'm talking about what you called me!"

"Hermione...." his voice was suddenly soft. His body crumbled as he lost all motive to be angry. "I can't help it. I'm sorry. This is all... still very new to me. I can't fight sixteen years of my family's teaching in only a few weeks," coming over to me, he placed his hands on my hips and pulled me to him. I kept my arms crossed over my chest and a frown on my face. I was not going to let him win, "Hermione... I made a promise to you that I would respect you for who you really are. That's not going to change. Calling you names will never happen again... if I can help it. I want you to understand... I will watch myself when I'm angry. If anything slips, please know I won't ever mean it."

I frowned at him, "Draco, I-"

"Hermione," he hugged me, "Please. I'm sorry. Let me make it up to you." He held me out at arms length.

Frowning harder I asked, "How?"

He gave a small smile, "Lets have our first date tonight. Meet me in the Room of Requirements. I don't think I can wait a week."

I didn't say anything.

Letting go, he ran his hand down my arm and held my hand in his, "Will you please meet me at eight?"

"What about dinner in the Great Hall? Won't our friends notice us missing?"

He shrugged, "So.... We'll say we're too busy to eat." He smiled, "You're smart, Hermione, you'll think of something."

I, again, didn't say anything.

"Please meet me?"

I looked into his eyes and my heart melt. My insides tightened with want for him. Soon, I found myself nodding, "Fine... I'll meet you."

He smiled. It was one of those smiles that lit up his eyes. He looked at me for a moment then nodded, "Excellent." He let out the breath he had been holding, and he smiled again.

He held onto me for a moment, then leaned in to place a kiss on my cheek.

As he walked away to his book, I remembered Luna.

"Um... listen. I don't think we should... kiss heatedly in here anymore."

"Why?" Wriggling his eyebrows he asked, "What's wrong with a little passionate snogging in the library?"

Despite my best efforts, I blushed. "Um... a friend of mine... might have... seen us."

His expression fell.

"But don't worry. I already talked to her, and she won't tell anyone. We can trust her, Draco.... I do."

"Who is it? That Weasley girl?"

"No, no... it's not a Gryffindor."

He shrugged, "Then who?"

"Luna Lovegood?"

He laughed, "Oh. Well no one will believer her."

I frowned, "They might."

"It's Loony Lovegood!"

I frowned harder.

Holding up his hands he said, "I mean, no offense.... I'm sure she's... completely trust worthy."

"She is."

He nodded and turned back to his book.

I crossed my arms again, and shifted my weight to my right foot. "She likes the idea of our dating."

This time, he looked shocked, "Really?"

I nodded.

He leaned against the back of his chair, "Well.... I'm at a loss for words." He leaned on the table, "Are you sure she won't tell?"

"Yes, I'm sure." My voice betrayed how agitated I still was.

He nodded, "Alright then."

He went back to he book he was reading, and I frowned, "What are you looking at?"

"Um... n-nothing really."

"You spent weeks here going through book after book, scrawling notes on parchment, and you're doing nothing?"

He looked at me and fidgeted under my cold glare. After a while he said, "It's something I'm working on.... It's private."

I frowned, "Okay then."

"What's it to you anyway?"

I frowned harder, "I was just going to offer you help."

"Well I don't need your help."

Struggling to stay cool I said, "Fine. I'll just leave you to your reading." Turning, I moved to leave, but he stopped me, jumping up from his chair.

"I'm looking up information on Vanishing Cabinets."

Turning around I asked, "Why?"

He shrugged, "Just because.... I find them interesting."

Coming back into the alcove, I moved to his table and sat down cautiously, "What about them, exactly?"

"Um... how they work?"

I scoffed, "Why are you looking in here? I mean, this section has an outstanding selection of what's been invented since pre-historic magic, but it won't tell you how it works."

He looked stunned, "I-It won't?"

"No. You want to go down stairs to the magical devices section."

"We have a magical devices section?"

Sighing, I nodded, "Yes. Stay here, I'll grab a few books for you-"

"No... I'll do it," standing he pulled me up and continued, "You go back to your house and celebrate. I'll see you in the Room of Requirements at eight."

"Fine."

Placing a kiss on my cheek he sent me on my way.
♠ ♠ ♠
She's pissed... that's for sure.
And it's a good thing Malfoy asked her for help on how to fix the Vanishing Cabinet, or else he'd never get it.
hee hee.....
.........

Comments?