Status: This story will be updated slowly - but fear not, I will still do it. I'm an English major in college, so I have a ton of homework, so please be patient with me!

Love's Horrid Fruit

009

Draco

Today was Saturday. I woke up to the sound of my housemates moving around. I had my green drapes closed around my bed, afraid of having someone discover my arm, or see me go through one of my dreams. Last night I had a nightmare. I couldn’t fix the Vanishing Cabinet and the Dark Lord was furious with me. I kept running away and hiding, but he always knew where I was. The dream ended with me dying. Opening my eyes, I found myself on my side and covered with sweat.

Around me people moved, all of them getting ready to enjoy the good weather before the rain came. I stayed quiet, waiting for all of them to leave before I did anything. When, finally, the door closed, I sat up and pulled my curtains back. I removed the cloth from my arm as I did every morning, my wincing going down significantly and replaced it with another strip. When I felt it was secure I got dressed.

I dressed casually, slacks and a shirt, no vest or tie. I removed my prefect badge from my robes and shoved it in my pocket. Grabbing my bag I stuffed it with blank scrolls, quills, and ink before heading down to the third floor and into the library. Madame Pince looked at me cautiously as I past her desk, dodging under a book that was flying back to its spot on the shelves. I made my way up the staircase and around the outer circle of shelves into the alcove of pre-historic magic. I was glad to see that Granger wasn’t here. Probably tired of sharing a section.

For a month now, we’ve been circling each other in this small section, changing tables, exchanging glances at each other. I didn’t trust her being in this section. I was afraid of what was going to happen if I let my guard down. I don’t want another fiasco to happen again. I don’t know if I could live with myself if I touched her like that ever again….

Setting my bag on a table, I moved to a shelving unit and pulled out the book I was looking at last time. It was Magical Items of Old by Arcanius Hindleberg. He was a specialist in magical objects and of how they work. I was going through as much of his work as possible, hoping there would be mention of the Vanishing Cabinet, but not luck so far.

Taking the book with me, I set it down on the table, rolled up my sleeve – although one is still covered by cloth, and I sat down. Flipping to the index I looked through the items listed, starting with ‘V’ then jumping to ‘A.’ I pulled a scroll from my bag along with my quill and ink bottle. I had just finished setting up when the Mudblood herself rounded the corner.

“Oh come on!” I cried standing up, “Just one bloody day! All I ask for is one bloody day without you here.”

“I’m sorry but the library is open to everyone.” She moved to sit at a table across from me.

“Well you’re not sitting there. Move.”

“I don’t have to. If you don’t like me being here, the table I’ve been sitting at for weeks, then you move.”

“I just got here!”

“No loud voices,” came the shrill voice of Madame Pince, “Keep it down the both of you, or leave.”

We both were silent and waited until she was gone before moving again. Granger continued to set up her homework while I started in on the items. My eye settled on a name that sounded familiar… an Opal Necklace. Marking the index page, I flipped the section and began to read.

“Why do you use this space” asked Granger, “I can guarantee you’re not studying for any of your classes.”

“I don’t have to tell you anything,” I replied.

“It seems a little suspicious,” she looked back down at her book, “Makes it seem like you’re up to something.”

I glared at her, “Well I’m not.”

She shrugged.

I clenched my jaw and turned back to the page. Apparently it is an extremely dangerous item. As I looked at the drawing of it, I remembered where I had seen it before. It was on display at Borgin & Burkes. From the description of the necklace, it would be perfect for my job. I made a note on the side of my parchment, meaning to write to my parents about it as soon as I could. Finished with the book, I re-shelved it and moved on.

“What item are you learning about?” She asked.

“Again, I don’t have to tell you anything.”

“If I start alerting people to your behavior, you’re going to have to answer anyway.”

I spun around and used the table she sat at to lean into her, “If you knew what’s right for you, Granger, you wouldn’t tell anyone anything about me. You have no idea what I’m like, what I like to do, what I’m interested in, or what I’m capable of doing. You’re a Muggle born, ill-fit of that wand you carry. You are the thorn in every pureblood wizard’s side. You know nothing, Granger. Nothing.”

“When will you realize that blood isn’t everything?”

“Blood is everything.”

“Says who?”

“My father.”

She laughed, “Because he did so well for himself. The sooner you realize that you could learn just as much from a Muggle-born as you could from a pureblood, the better.”

“I would just die to know what you have to teach me, Granger.”

“I could teach you how to disarm. I could help you with your potions essay-”

“I don’t need your help.” I leaned in further, “I don’t need anyone’s help.”

We stared harshly at each other, her sitting down, me leaning over her. My eyes couldn’t take it any longer and against my wishes, they looked down her shirt, which gave a modest view of her cleavage. My mind played scenarios of me kissing down her neck and running my tongue across that tender looking skin. I heard her sigh and I looked back up at her.

Her brown eyes held a look of longing, and gave away an impure thought. She chewed on her lower lip and shifted a little in her seat, and a smile formed on my face. Another scenario played in my mind where I leaned in all of the way and took her lips with mine. Her arms would wrap around me, and I would hold her close to me.

But as my lungs started to burn from a lack of oxygen, I realized what was going on.

This was not a day dream.

I pulled away from Granger, both of us breathing heavily. She pulled out her wand and pointed it at the archway, “Muffilato.” Putting the wand down, she looked back at me.

“What did you just do?” I asked, not loosening my grip.

“It’s a silencing spell.”

I nodded, “Right.”

“Um… do you think we should… talk about what just happened?”

“No,” I moved my hands to cup her face, “At least not right now.” I moved in to kiss her again and she allowed it.

In my mind I knew what I was doing was wrong. Very wrong. My right mind was telling me to pull away and run as fast as I could in the opposite direction…. But I didn’t want to do that. No, I wanted to keep her here with me, to hold her, and touch her.

She was the answer to my dreams.

Kissing her like this made me realize that the brown haired girl in my dreams was Hermione Granger. On that note, I pulled away. I found that we had shifted positions; she was seated on the table while I stood in between her legs, pressing myself against her.

I took a step back and stumbled into her vacant chair. I was so confused. Why was this happening to me? Why here? What was it that made me want her so much?

Standing I said, “I um… h-have to um… go.” I moved around her and back to my original table. I began to shove my parchment with the single note to myself on it in my bag with the stopped ink and quill. I was about to leave when I heard her say:

“I’ll be in the Room of Requirements tonight.”

I didn’t say anything as I walked out of the alcove and then out of the library. It was lunch time and the Great Hall was buzzing with hungry students. I should be hungry, having skipped breakfast, but at this moment, I wasn’t in the mood to eat. Continuing down to the Slytherin house, I walked through the wall and continued down to my dorm room, glad to find it empty.

Sitting down I held my head in my hand and fought back the confusing thoughts from the front of my mind. Right now I needed to find a way to focus, so as to write my father about my plan. Grabbing my stationary, I picked up my quill and I started writing.

Dear Father,

I hope you’re doing well. Everything here is dismal. Muggle-borns running about. Pathetic. What more do you expect from a school like this? Quidditch tryouts are soon. I hope to reclaim my roll as seeker like last year. Catching that snitch feels good every time. Never mind that. You were never fond of the sport. Send Mother my love.

Your son,
Draco.


The code was insulting simple, literally anyone could figure it out. I folded the latter and sealed it with dark green wax, using my family crest ring to stamp it. Getting up, I made my way back upstairs and outside. I moved across the grounds and to the lone tower where the Owlery was held. Walking up the stairs I looked for my owl, Everard. The Eagle owl swooped down onto a perch where he cooed at me. I stroked his head a few times, feeling thankful for the bird. During my stays at home, Everard was the only relief I had, the only one I could ever talk to. Sure there were the occasional letters from Flint, Crabbe, Goyle, or Pansy, but they were rare coming at best.

When I’m forced to spend most of my time in my bedroom, it gets really lonely.

“Are you ready to fly,” I asked, still petting my owl. He cooed at me, his eyes closed as I pet him, “Here you go.”

Handing him my letter, he flew away with it in his beak. I watched him go until I couldn’t see him anymore. Turning my back on him, I left the tower and walked slowly to the edge of the lake. Finding a tree on the outskirts of the Forbidden Forest, I sat in its shades and let my mind think about Hermione Granger and her offer to meet her tonight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw.... Draco and Harry are more similar than they thought....
Comments?

By the way:
The name, Arcanius Hindleberg, does not exist in the Harry Potter world. I made him up.
And the grounds I'm going off of are the grounds in the movies, however I will try to stick as close to the books as possible. (I've always liked the idea of the Owlery being away from the castle....)