Love Never Fails

Chapter One

"Sasha," Eva laughed, taking a small sip of her drink, "You don't know what you're saying." She smiled and kept her arm around Sarah. Sasha's face dropped and immediately, Eva knew she'd said something wrong.
"No, I am saying that you have been drinking a lot. I am concerned." Eva's smile stayed present on her face. Maybe she had been drinking a little too much- who knows. All she knew was that Sasha wanted her stop, and she didn't want to. It was a party, was it really that big of a deal?
"Oh, honey," she said, "Look at you, all worried and such." She leaned over and pinched his cheek. Immediately, he pulled away, his nose scrunching up in disgust. Eva laughed and took another sip of her drink. She hadn't noticed that Sarah had become tense in the situation. Eva wasn't really paying any attention to Sarah at the moment.
"Don't talk to me like that." Sasha's voice was stern, the look in his eyes dark with anger.
But Eva just giggled, brushing off his demand with ease.
"Psssh, like what? Like this?" She said the last couple words in the same annoying tone she'd said them before, "Aw, poor wittle Sasha. Powting because he has to dwive home and cant dwink." Eva finished the last of her drink as Sarah excused herself- although unheard by both Sasha and Eva- and went back into the living room.
Sasha's face turned red with anger.
"Don't fucking talk to me like that, Eva Marie." Eva's face dropped. Don't talk to him like that? What is she, his daughter? Eva forcefully slammed her glass onto the counter, anger bubbling up in her throat.
"Or, you can stop treating me like a child." Her tone was bitingly sarcastic. Sasha's shoulders tensed up under his jacket; his fists balled with rage. Treating her like a child?
"Are you fucking kidding me? Treating YOU like a child? Really? Because last time I fucking checked, you were talking to me like a goddamn two year old!" His voice grew louder with every syllable of each word causing his teammates at the other end of the room to look over with surprise. Neither Eva nor Sasha really cared about them at the moment. They were too caught up in the heat of the ensuing argument.

As Eva opened her mouth to counter his claim, Alexander Ovechkin stepped in between them.
"Look, I really love you guys, but you're starting to scare people. Either leave or stop fighting." Alex was clear and straight forward. He didn't want to have people fighting in the house- especially when one was slightly drunk- and risk scaring off all his guests. On top of that, he really didn't want to end up buying all new glassware. It was painful to see his good friends fight... and that's why he was sending them home.
Eva turned on her heel and left the kitchen, stomping off to go grab her coat while Sasha murmured goodbyes and headed out to the car. After Eva grabbed her coat and said goodbye to a couple people, she reluctantly headed out to the car. She wasn't at all in the mood to share a five foot space with someone she was currently pissed at.
On the way home, there was no talking, only angry stares out of windows and fists gripping the steering wheel. The tension between the two was unbelievable as they pulled up into the driveway of their two story home, darkness in the windows. Eva wasted no time jumping out of the car and storming her way to the front door, but after she realized it was locked, she started to make her way around back. She didn't want to stand there and wait while he opened the door. In fact, she didn't want to be around him at all right now.

"Where the fuck are you going?" she heard Sasha call after her. The tone in his voice just made her angrier. Eva ignored him and continued through the backdoor, slamming it shut and dropping her purse on the counter. Around the same time, she heard Sasha shut the front door.
"Don't talk to me like that ever again, Eva Marie. You know how much that pisses me off." Eva looked up at the hard look on Sasha's face and her nostrils flared with anger. It took her back to a time when her parents would yell at her for back talking, and those were not happy memories.
"I'm not your fucking kid." Just because she was ten years younger than him didn't mean he had the right to treat her like that.
There was silence as the two stared each other down in the kitchen. The calm before the storm.
"Yeah, you're not. But let me tell you something, being ten fucking years older than you, I understand a little more about how to act in public. I'm not the stupid twenty one year old I used to be. When we're at a party like that one, that is neither the time nor place to push me the fuck around, got it?" Eva flinched when he raised his voice at her and stepped back a bit. There was a small voice inside her head, telling her to stop, leave it at that, but the anger overpowered it by a long shot. "You push and you push and you fucking push me sometimes. I've fucking had it!"
She wasn't listening to that voice the slightest bit.
"Oh my fucking God, are you kidding me? I was just having some goddamn fun and you had to ruin it! I just turned twenty one for Christ's sake and you don't expect me to drink?" Eva raised her voice and moved around the counter towards him, her fists balled up at her sides.
"I didn't say that, you stupid bitch. I said-" Eva cut him off right there. She was not going to be talked to like that- ever.
"Watch your fucking mouth!" Eva pushed him, causing him to stumble back a bit. His eyes widened with absolute rage and he stepped forward. He was just inches from her face as he yelled back at her. She could see the veins bulging in his neck, the lines and creases on his face; the terrifying rage inside his eyes. Eva recoiled in fear, now more scared than angry. She knew that pushing him tonight was not the right thing to do and she did it anyway. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
"I'll say whatever the fuck I want, you little bitch, you understand me!?" She just looked at him, her face blank, eyes angry, and didn't move. Sasha, trying to make good decisions here, turned around and started to walk away. He was incredibly angry and knew it would get pretty ugly if he didn't leave.
That was until...

"Fuck you... you fucking Russkie." Bad move on her part.
Sasha turned around and hit her in the face, causing her to stumble backwards.

There was silence.

Sasha's eyes were wide with astonishment. Had he really just done that?
"Eva." She put a hand to her stinging face and looked up at the older man before her. She felt like she didn't know him anymore. Like he was just another guy. "Eva. Sasha said again. His voice cracked as he stepped forward and reached out a hand, but she stepped backwards. Her eyes were wide with fear and a couple tears spilled down her cheeks. This wasn't happening. It couldn't be.
"Don't touch me, Alexander." Her voice was distant as if she wasn't quite there at the moment. Sasha's heart broke when she used his full name. She never used his full name. In fact, he was remembering the other day when she commented on how weird it was to hear someone call him Alex, since she used the term of endearment Sasha so much. That name sounded so... foreign to him now, so... wrong. "Please... Don't touch me." Her mind couldn't think in any other foreign languages. It made Sasha realize just how terrified she really was.
He stepped forward again, reaching out a hand, trying desperately to correct his horrible mistakes, but she turned away, her eyes wide.
"Eva, I didn't mean-"
"No," her voice was timid, frightened, "No, it's okay." Monotony scarred her words as she held her hand to her now bruising face. She was in shock; shock and pain. She couldn't believe he... he hit her. Eva didn't look at Sasha before she walked out of the kitchen and headed up to their room, quietly closing the door behind her.

Downstairs, Sasha leaned over the counter, his hands gripping the edge of the it with enough force to turn his knuckles white. The closing of the bedroom door rung inside his pounding skull. He couldn't believe what he'd done. He couldn't believe he'd hit the woman he loved... the woman he was going to ask to marry him tonight. If only it wasn't for that stupid argument...

Sasha bit his lip and his head hung low as single tear rolled down his cheek.