Status: Completed :)

Driven to Distraction

Just When I Had You Off My Head

It was a Saturday morning and the restaurant was buzzing with families and couples and I sighed as I realized the rush would not end until late afternoon. I brought the tray in my hand above my head as I passed a co-worker, praying that my grip was steady enough so I wouldn’t drop the platter.

When I reached the booth I was waiting, I placed the tray on the table and began giving the correct plates to its owners. As I placed the last plate down, I heard the chime above the door sound, signaling that a customer was either leaving or entering. I paid it no mind until I heard my name being yelled. I turned around quickly; already knowing who the voice belonged to.

“Ketely! Ketely!” she shouted, running towards me.

“Kelsi, I’m at work,” I stated, trying to keep a smile on my face as nearly everyone in the diner turned and gawked at me.

She huffed as she reached me, shaking her head furiously. “No – no, this – this is important, Ketely!”

“Excuse me; I’m so sorry for interrupting your breakfast. Please don’t hesitate to wave me over if you need anything,” I apologized quickly to the table I was waiting before grabbing Kelsi’s arm and pulling her towards the back, near the restrooms. “What? What is so important that you had to come and cause a scene, Kelsi?” I asked, slightly agitated and worried that I would face some sort of consequence later for her stunt.

“John’s getting married!” she exclaimed.

“Wh – what?” I breathed. “That’s – that’s impossible, Kelsi. He’s not even engaged!” I argued.

“That’s the thing! Nobody knew, but apparently he and this chick have been engaged for months! Their ceremony is starting in twenty minutes at West Baptist! Everyone’s pissed off and is trying to rush there, but I just – I had to tell you, K,” she explained.

I blinked away the tears that were gathering in my eyes and swallowed the lump in my throat. “It doesn’t matter, anyways, Kelsi. There’s no future for me and John. Tell him I said congratulations when you get the chance to talk to him.” I began to walk away, but she grabbed my wrist.

“Ketely, stop fucking lying to yourself! I know as well as you do that you both are still in love with each other and you need to stop this. You need to stop this,” she pushed.

I stared at her, knowing that what she was saying was the truth, even if I didn’t want to believe it. But believing and doing were two separate things, because I knew I could never bring myself to walk into that church and face John.

I wiped my eyes and cleared my throat, trying to shake this off. “I have to get back to work, Kelsi. Have a great time at the wedding.”

“Ketely, please don’t do this to yourself. I’m begging you,” she pleaded as I began to walk away for a second time.

But I couldn’t do it. I just couldn’t.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm uuber excited for this story!
Hopefully you guys are, too! (:

<3 Roxie