Status: Completed :)

Driven to Distraction

But I Can't Keep Running

They called themselves The Maine.

I didn't get exactly why they chose that name; out of all the many possibilities for band names, they had to choose the most bemusing one.

I remember John telling me that it had to do with a song called Coast of Maine by a band named Ivory, but it still didn't make any sense to me. And in all honesty, I don't think it exactly made sense to them either. I had asked Garrett once if he ever second-guessed the name, but he had only shrugged and said that he 'never thought the name would actually stick'. In the long run, it did.

They got their first real gig in the middle of our senior year, January 5th of 2006. They were beyond excited and it was all they, and everyone else in our school, could talk about.

I was excited for them, too. I really was. But all that morning, all I could concentrate on was the amount of attention every girl in the school was suddenly giving the guys; the same five guys who they couldn't have given two shits about in the beginning of the week.

I didn't say anything, though. I didn't want to be the killjoy of the guys' special day, and I definitely did not want to cause an argument between John and I. I wouldn't see Kelsi until third period, so I couldn't talk to her just yet. Miguel had enough credits to where he only needed to attend two classes a day, and that sort of left our friendship to dwindle.

By the time third period came around, I swore the insides of my cheeks had numerous amounts of cuts from how hard I had been biting them in order not to say anything out loud whenever I heard girls talking obscenely about how 'bad' they 'wanted' John, Kennedy, Jared, Garrett and Pat.

"I swear I'm going to fucking murder them all," Kelsi seethed as I slid into the seat next to her.

"So you've been hearing them, too?"

She nodded her head, her jaw slightly clenched. "There were three girls alone in my second period who kept talking about how bad they wanted to fuck Kennedy's brains out." She turned to look at me. "I mean, seriously, they know that Kennedy and I have been together since freshman year!"

I shook my head, sighing. "If it helps any, they've been talking about John the same way."

"They're lucky guns aren't allowed in school."

I laughed. "Do you always have to shoot things when you're angry?"

She laughed, too, before smirking. "If people wouldn't piss me off, things wouldn't have to be shot."

Before I could say anything more the bell rang and immediately, we were given math problems to solve on the board. I let out a long sigh as I wrote my name on my paper. Today was going to be a long, long day.

_______________________________________________________

"Are you going straight home?" I asked John as we walked hand in hand out of school; something I made sure of since I knew it was something many people, or more specifically, many girls, would see.

"Yeah, but just to grab my guitar. Everyone's gonna head over to Pat's for last minute practice," he told me.

I nodded my head. "Are you nervous?" I unlocked the doors to my car before turning to look at him.

He opened my door as he nodded his head. "I am, actually. I mean, Key, this is an actual gig at an actual venue. This could be the start of great things for us," he beamed.

I laughed quickly before giving him a smile. "I have no doubt that it is."

He smirked and gave me a quick kiss on the lips. "I'll see you at six."

I nodded my head before getting into my car. "Hey, John?"

"Yeah, babe?"

"I love you and you guys are gonna do great," I told him, trying to boost his confidence.

He smiled genuinely, a shine returning to his eyes. "I love you, too."

_______________________________________________________

"Oh my God, we're going to die!" I squealed, my hands clutching onto the passenger seat of Kelsi's car.

She laughed and sharply made a left turn. "Quit being a baby!"

My eyes were locked onto the speedometer, which read 85 MPH and increasing as we drove down the highway. Kelsi has a CD blasting as loud as the volume of the stereo would go, all four windows of the car rolled down. This was one way, along with shooting things, which proved more often than not to be a bad idea, of getting rid of her anger. She'd drive as fast as she could, for however long she needed to, blasting Avenged Sevenfold and other various bands, until her anger subsided.

While it worked for her, it scared me half to death.

"John said to be there at six!" I yelled, trying to talk over a sudden loud song that had come on.

Glancing down at the clock, Kelsi nodded her head and jerked the wheel to the right, haphazardly exiting the road.

"We'll make it," she said, turning the volume down.

We eventually slowed to down to the normal speed of traffic as we drove down the streets of downtown Phoenix. The sun was just beginning to set, painting the sky hues of oranges, reds and pinks; it made everything about the city seem beautiful.

We slowed as we passed a venue, a mile long line of people standing against the building, waiting to get inside.

"We don't have to stand in that line, do we?" she asked as we turned into the parking lot.

"I don't think so. John said to just call him once we got here," I said.

She nodded her head and we ended up having to park in a space near the back of the lot, which either one of us were too happy about. We both pulled out our phones as we made our way towards the line.

"Hey, you're here?!" John asked cheerily.

"Yeah," I laughed. "We're passing by the line now."

"I'm at the front ... I think I see you!" He let out a low whistle. "I definitely see you. You're wearing my favorite top," he said.

I rolled my eyes and laughed. "I thought it'd make you happy."

He continued talking about the many things he wanted to do to me, until Kelsi and I finally reached the doors.

"If it isn't the pervert himself," Kelsi joked.

John chuckled and pulled me into his arms. "Like you and Kennedy don't do dirtier things."

A faint blush swept over her cheeks. "I really hope for your sake and Kennedy's that he doesn't tell you about the things we do."

A nervous look washed over John's face before he cleared his throat. "Let's head to the back," he said, grabbing my hand.

He led us through the somewhat crowded building, taking us through a rather narrow hallway before we saw a door with a piece of printer paper taped to it, 'The Maine' labeled on it. John opened the door and I saw the faces of four nervous boys.

"Kels," Kennedy sighed happily, walking toward her.

She giggled as he wrapped his arms around her. "How're you feeling, babe?"

"Like I'm going to throw up," he stated.

"Kennedy, shut up! The more you say that word, the sicker I feel," Jared barked, his naturally red cheeks appearing darker than normal.

"Sorry, man," Kennedy apologized.

"Out of my way, JohnO. I need some of Jewel's love, too," Garrett said, pushing John away from me.

I laughed and pulled him into a hug. "You feeling sick, too, Gary?"

He nodded his head, sighing. "What if they don't like us and boo us off stage?"

"Garrett!" Kennedy, Jared, Pat and John hissed.

"Sorry, but it's true!" he argued, seeming a bit embarrassed.

"Guys, you're gonna be fine! You wouldn't have been given a slot tonight if y'all weren't any good," Kelsi told them.

"You're right," Pat smiled, tapping his drumsticks against his thighs.

"Can I have my girl back yet, Gare?" John asked, a hint of joking in his voice.

"I guess," Garrett sighed, giving me a wink as he pulled away.

I laughed and shook my head. Everyone seemed to become engaged in their own conversations and I took the time to have a private conversation with John.

"You look pale," I said, running my hands through the sandy blond fringe covering his forehead.

He sighed and leaned into my touch. "I'm just really nervous."

"John, you're gonna be great, baby. And even if you do trip and fall or something, I'll still be cheering for you."

His face suddenly fell. "I didn't even think about falling on stage! Oh, God, I'm going to fall," he groaned, leaning his forehead on my shoulder.

I laughed and shook my head, rubbing circles on his back. Suddenly, a thought entered my mind. It was silly and made no sense really, but I had a feeling that it would calm John; it always seemed to.

"See the stone set in your eyes, see the thorn twist in your side. I wait for you," I sang softly. When he didn't continue, I did. "Sleight of hand and twist of fate, on a bed of nails she makes me wait. And I wait, without you ..."

"With or without you. With or without you ... Through the storm we reach the shore. You gave it all, but I want more. And I'm waiting for you," he sang just as softly as I had, pulling away once he finished, giving me a loving smile. "Thank you, Ketely."

I smiled and placed a kiss on his lips. "No need to thank me. I'm just being a good girlfriend."

He laughed and a moment later, a man came into the room, telling the boys that they had five minutes before they were due on stage. Kelsi and I gave the boys quick kisses on the cheeks and wished them good luck before leaving the room, making our way back toward the stage area. We were lucky enough to squeeze into a small space somewhat near the front, and Kelsi grabbed my hand, giving it a squeeze.

"I think I might throw up now," she said.

I laughed and slung my arm over her shoulder. "Aim for the front," I teased.

_____________________________________________________________

The concert was just short of a disaster. John faced Pat nearly the whole performance, his back towards the crowd. Kennedy and Garrett both almost fell off stage a few times, and really, the only two who made it by without noticeable mistakes were Jared and Pat. The one time John tried facing the crowd, a smoke machine was blasted in his face and he didn't really try again.

Kelsi and I didn't say anything to each other as we left the crowd, going to find our boys. I could tell she was trying to think of something to say that would lift their spirits, and I was busy doing the same. She knocked twice on the door before a glum looking Pat opened it.

"Go ahead and say it," he mumbled before walking towards the red couch in the room.

Kelsi sighed and crossed her arms over her chest. "Look, I'm not going to throw you guys a pity party. It was your first time performing tonight in front of a crowd, ever, and you did pretty damn good. It's gonna take some time for y'all to get used to the crowds and the stage. What's important is that you all got through it and are still standing," she stated, not a hint of hesitation in her voice.

"Exactly," I agreed. "And you all made it without being booed off the stage," I smiled.

They all chuckled and nodded their heads. Kennedy walked toward Kelsi, grabbing her hand before whispering something into her ear. She nodded her head and looked at me.

"Meet you at the car?" she asked. I nodded my head and her and Kennedy said their goodbyes before leaving the room.

"I need a girlfriend," Jared laughed, wiping the sweat from his forehead.

"You'll get one soon enough, Jare. After all, you're in a band now," I said, wiggling my brows.

The four of them laughed and Pat stood up, brushing his long hair behind his ears.

"I guess I'm gonna start loading up," he said.

Garrett and Jared both nodded.their heads, offering their help. Once they were out of sight, I walked toward John who was sitting down on the couch, his head bowed toward the ground.

"Hey," I said lightly, pulling a pen out of my purse. "Can I get your autograph, rock star?"

He looked at me sternly before a faint smile tugged at his lips. "Stop," he whined.

"Stop what?"

"Being sweet. You're ruining my depressed mood," he said.

I laughed and wrapped my arms around his shoulders, resting my mouth near his ear. "I'm afraid I can't let you do that, sir. You see, as your girlfriend, it's my job to make you smile when you feel like shit."

He chuckled softly, still looking at the ground. "I feel shittier than shit," he told me.

I sighed and closed my eyes, ignoring the fact that my shirt was beginning to become damp from John's sweaty body. "You did good, John. For your first time performing, you did good. Everyone has to start somewhere, babe, and this is your start. Things can only get better from here onward."

He looked at me, staring me deep in the eyes. "Promise?"

I smiled and nodded my head. "Promise."

Certain promises, such as this one, should never be made.
♠ ♠ ♠
I actually really love this chapter, so I hope you guys do, too! I tried to make this one longer and better than the last few have been! I tried to mix in some truth to their band formation, instead of having it all be made up, but in order for it to fit the story, I had to fabricate some things! Which is why this is called fan-fiction, I suppose. Lol. Thank you all so, so, so much for reading/commenting/subscribing! It means tons to me!

Oh, I started a contest yesterday and I've only had three people, I think, join so far! If you're interested, please check it out and enter! :)
That 80's Love Song Contest

<3Roxie