Status: Completed :)

Driven to Distraction

All We Ever Do

“What time was Bree supposed to be here, again?” Kelsi asked me, setting a plate of finger sandwiches down on the kitchen counter.

“Her plane landed at four, so any minute now. Garrett was supposed to text me when they were close so we could go outside, but I haven’t heard anything from him yet,” I explained.

She nodded her head and John’s mom entered the kitchen, a wide smile perched on her lips; one that she had been wearing for the past two months – since John and I announced our engagement. She had been begging to throw us an engagement party, but being that I insisted on Bree coming as I planned on her being a bridesmaid, we had to wait until she was able to take time off from her job.

“Ketely, there’s someone John would like you to meet,” she stated, a twinkle in her eyes.

“Who?” I questioned, my brows furrowing.

“You’ll see,” she smiled, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and pushing me forward into the living room.

I gave a glance back to Kelsi, who shrugged, and slapped a smile on my face as we stepped onto the plush carpet of John’s living room. My confusion only grew further as I saw an elderly woman, her short, silver hair in curls, bright pink lipstick on her lips and light green beady eyes fixed on me, sitting on the armchair in the corner. She was surrounded by John, John Sr., Ross and Shane.

“Ketely,” John smiled, standing up and walking over to me. He took my hand and walked me to the woman. “This is my nana. Nana, this is Ketely, my fiancée.”

“H – hi,” I stuttered, holding out my hand, trying not to cringe from her scrutinizing stare.

She mumbled something I couldn’t quite make out before giving me a smile. “Hello, dear.”

I relaxed a bit. “I’m glad you could make it …” I trailed off, not really sure as to what I should call her.

“Call me nana, sweetie. Everyone does,” she said.

I nodded my head. “I’m glad you could make it, nana,” I repeated.

“Incoming!” a voice shouted from behind, making us all turn around. Garrett stood in the doorway, smiling. “I present to you, Miss Bree Townson,” he stated, causing my eyes and smile to widen.

Bree walked into the house, her brown locks piled on top of her head, and black sunglasses hiding her light brown eyes that made the majority of the boys at UND swoon. She pulled the sunglasses away from her face, giving me a smirk.

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t the bride to be!”

“Bree!” I shrieked, running and engulfing her 5’5” frame in a crushing hug.

She laughed as she stumbled backwards a bit. “It’s good to see you, too, Ketely!”

“I can’t believe you’re actually here!” I smiled.

She gave another laugh. “Yeah, me either. Explain to me again why I’m here in this place whose heat can compete with that of hell’s.”

I laughed and rolled my eyes. “It’s not that hot, Bree. Anyways, this is why,” I said smugly, lifting my left hand up to show her my ring.

Her eyes widened and she smiled. “That’s a beauty.”

It wasn’t until then that I remembered the other bodies in the room. “Oh, right!” I laughed, pulling Bree further into the room. “Bree, this is John.”

“It’s nice to meet you,” he smiled, holding out his hand.

“Likewise,” she said, shaking his hand.

“Uh, this is Carol, John’s mom. That’s John Sr., John’s dad. And those two are John’s younger brothers, Ross and Shane,” I stated, pointing each person out respectively. “Oh! And that’s … nana, John’s grandma.”

Bree gave a wide wave, her smile never faltering. “It’s nice to meet you all. I’m Bree.”

“It’s nice to meet you,” chorused throughout the room.

“Uh, Kelsi’s probably still in the kitchen. Garrett can show you the way,” I told her.

She nodded her head and leant her mouth near my ear. “Thank you for having him come get me, by the way.”

I bit back my laughter and nodded my head. “I thought you might like that.”

She grinned and set her sunglasses on top of her head, walking towards Garrett, who led her straight to the kitchen.

“When’s your-“ before John’s mom could finish her sentence, a knock came on the door and I laughed.

“That’d be them,” I said, going to open the door. Sure enough, there stood my dad and Danny. “Hey, dad,” I smiled, giving him a hug. “Hey, Danny,” I said, giving him a hug as well.

“Hey, pumpkin, sorry we’re late,” my dad apologized.

“Oh, it’s fine,” I smiled, closing the door.

John excused himself from the room as the adults began talking and grabbed my hand, leading me toward the backyard, where the rest of our friends were.

“I have to warn you now, my nana can be a blunt woman,” he said, opening the door to the back.

“What do you mean?” I questioned, stepping onto the deck.

“I mean, she doesn’t hold back what’s on her mind,” he stated, closing the door.

We walked down onto the grass, and he grabbed two beers from the cooler.

“Should I be nervous?” I asked, popping the cap off.

He shrugged, a smile on his lips. “Just be prepared for anything,” he told me.

I laughed. “Well that makes me feel better,” I joked.

He smiled and threw an arm around my shoulder as we walked over to where Kennedy, Jared, Pat and Tim were standing, talking to a few of John’s cousins.

We joined in on their conversation, but it wasn’t long before John’s mother announced that it was time to eat. We all shuffled inside and sat around the large dining table, one that John’s parents only used for special occasions.

Before I could even get my first bite of food swallowed, John’s grandmother began asking me questions.

“Ketely, dear, how long have you known my little John here?”

I swallowed and dabbed the corners of my mouth before answering her. “Well, my whole life, really.” John grabbed my hand under the table and gave it a small squeeze.

“And when did you two begin dating?”

“When we were sixteen, nana,” John told her before taking a sip of his beer.

She gave him a hard look. “And why haven’t you ever brought her around before, John?”

“I don’t really know, nana,” he said, shrugging his shoulders casually.

She then turned back to me. “Did you go to school, Ketely?”

I nodded my head. “I did. I’m a nurse actually.” Danny snickered and I narrowed my eyes at him. “Well, I have my nursing license, I just haven’t landed a job yet.”

“Well I’m sure you’ll find one soon, dear,” she smiled, grabbing her glass of red wine. “Have you chosen a wedding gown yet?”

“Well, no, not yet. I was waiting for Bree to arrive before choosing out any dresses,” I explained.

She nodded her head. “I see,” she said before taking a sip out of her glass. I thought I was finally going to get a break from her questions, but I assumed wrong as she gave me a look. “Will it be a white dress?”

“Um … what do you mean?” I questioned, feeling completely confused.

“A white dress, dear; can you wear white?” she asked, narrowing her eyes, and it was then that I got what she was insinuating.

Almost everyone at the table choked on their food or drinks, and I felt my cheeks instantly become warm.

Nana!” John and his parents yelled at once.

“You don’t have to answer that, Ketely,” Mrs. O’Callaghan told me, shaking her head.

I slouched down in my seat a bit, only nodding my head. Well, so much for a lovely dinner.

________________________________________________________

“I told you she was blunt,” John laughed as we stepped outside.

“That was so embarrassing!” I exclaimed, putting my hands to my face. “Dear God.”

He laughed and took my hands. “Everyone just got a laugh out of it, babe. No one took it seriously.”

“But still!” I let out a sigh. “It was obvious by how hard I was blushing what my answer was.”

He snorted. “No one expects you to be a virgin when you’re dating someone as dashing as me.” I went to slap him upside the head, but he caught my wrist. “I’m joking, Key! Relax,” he chuckled.

I decided to let it slide. “We’re going to look at halls tomorrow morning, don’t forget.”

He nodded his head. “Nine o’clock, right?” I nodded my head. “Got it.”

I smiled and stood on my toes, giving him a peck on the lips. “Having second thoughts yet?”

He gave me a crazed look. “Are you kidding me? I’d marry you tomorrow if I could.” I felt myself blushing again, and he smiled, pressing his lips against mines once again. “Get some rest, Key. I love you.”

“I love you, too,” I smiled before going to my car.

Once I was down the street, I let out a small scream, no longer able to contain my excitement.

For the first time in a long time, everything in my life was falling perfectly into place.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I feel really meh about this chapter, too, unfortunately! There's two more chapters left before the end, by the way! Thank you guys so, so, so much for commenting! It means the world to me! :)

<3 Roxie