Status: Completed :)

Driven to Distraction

But I've Tried Everything

It was the day of my school’s homecoming dance, and it would be my very first dance to attend as a freshman. I’d spent all morning doing my hair and makeup, trying to look as perfect as I possibly could. Although I didn’t have a date, Kelsi did, and as much as I hated being the third wheel, she had begged me to go - so I was.

I glanced at myself in the mirror, smiling. I had chosen a simple, strapless light pink dress to wear. The bottom half was loose, and flowed with each movement I made. It wasn’t anything flashy or over the top, but I loved it for that fact. My mother had worked on my hair, creating loose curls. They looked beautiful. For the first time in my life, I was allowed to wear makeup. A light pink blush embellished my cheeks, and black eyeliner decorated my eyes, making my brown orbs appear slightly darker than usual. I went with a clear gloss for my lips.

I heard the doorbell ring and I ran downstairs, trying to be careful as to not trip over my silver heels.

“Kelsi!” I smiled, looking her over.

Her dress was a dark purple, with a sweetheart neckline, and a purple bow decorating the left side of her waist. She had her hair up in a loose bun, her bangs swooping to the left side of her face. In short, she looked gorgeous.

“Quick, Kennedy’s getting out of the car. How do I look?” she asked, clearly worried.

I laughed. “You look beautiful, Kelsi. Seriously.”

She smiled. “Thanks! You do, too.”

Kennedy, Kelsi’s boyfriend of three months, made his way to my door, dressed in a black suit. “Hey, Ketely,” he grinned.

“Hey, Kennedy,” I waved.

“I know you girls aren’t leaving without taking any pictures,” I heard my mom say, coming behind us.

I rolled my eyes. “Mom,” I whined.

She laughed. “Just a few pictures, Ketely!”

I looked at Kelsi and she shrugged. “That’s cool.”

We stood next to our fireplace, posing as my mom went crazy with the camera. When she was finally done, we sighed in relief.

“Have fun, honey,” she told me.

I smiled and kissed her on the cheek. “I will. I’ll try to be home early so you’re not here alone.”

She waved me off. “Oh, Ketely, please. I’m a grown woman, sweetie. Now go have fun!”

I laughed and followed Kelsi and Kennedy out the door. We all got into his car, and began making our way to the high school.

“Would you guys hate me if I made a pit stop?” he asked, glancing at me in the rearview mirror.

“Where at?” Kelsi questioned, looking at him.

“Uh … John called; his car won’t start so he needs a ride.”

I widened my eyes, panic setting in. Kennedy and John were best friends, and since we were in his car, I didn’t want to say anything that might offend him. But God, John and I being in the same place was never a good idea.

Kelsi turned around and gave me a look, and I shrugged. “That’s fine,” I stated.

We pulled up to a brick house and Kennedy honked twice before John came running to the car. He was dressed in a black suit as well, and had his hair in a tousled mess. It was easy to see why he was such a heartthrob, but beneath his looks, there wasn’t much else. As soon as he sat down and realized I was next to him, he made a face. I was surprised, however, that he didn’t say anything. Normally he lived to humiliate me.

When we arrived at the school, the dance was already in full swing. We gave our tickets to the teachers at the door and made our way to the gymnasium, where it was overcrowded.

“I’m gonna go find Cara,” John yelled over the music before walking off.

Cara happened to be his girl of the week.

“Do you want something to drink, babe?” Kennedy asked, looking at Kelsi.

She nodded her head. “Please,” she smiled.

“What about you, Ketely?” he asked.

“Yes, please.”

He smiled before walking off, and Kelsi and I found an open spot to stand while waiting for him near the bleachers.

“I think he’s a keeper,” Kelsi stated.

“What?” I questioned, looking at her.

“Kennedy. I mean, he’s sweet and incredibly good looking. I want this to last,” she smiled dreamily.

I laughed. “I’m happy for you.”

Kennedy returned a few seconds later with our drinks, and we chatted idly while listening to the music. When the first slow began playing, though, they ditched me to dance, and I suddenly became a wallflower. I sighed and sipped on my pink lemonade, watching the rest of my classmates have the time of their lives.

“No date, Morrison?”

God, I so did not want to deal with him.

“What do you want, John?” I asked, turning to look at him.

He smirked. “You didn’t answer me. Couldn’t find a date?”

“Where’s your date?” I retorted.

“Oh, she’s in the bathroom. Now can you answer me?” I clutched onto the drink in my hands before looking away, not wanting to embarrass myself. “Awe, poor Keeters here couldn’t get herself a date.”

I grounded my teeth together. “Do not fucking call me that.”

He laughed, knowing he had gotten to me. “Oh, c’mon, don’t be so mean, Keeters. I’m just trying to have a simple conversation here.” I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my drink. “There is one more thing I want to say before I get back to my date, though.”

I sighed, rolling my head back. “What is it, O’Callaghan?”

He stepped closer to me, placing his mouth near my ear, shocking me. “It’s always the fat or ugly girls that don’t get asked to dances. And since you’re not fat, I’m guessing it’s because you’re ugly. But if you’d like, I can give you one dance. So, you know, you don’t look so pathetic,” he whispered.

Tears instantly sprang to my eyes as he spoke each word, and before I could say anything back to him, I saw a teacher running our way. John turned around when he heard the footsteps, and he quickly stepped to my side, putting an innocent look on his face.

“Ketely Morrison, I need you to come with me,” she stated, worry written all over her face.

“May I ask why?”

She looked between me and John before sighing. “Ketely, there’s been a fire at your house …”

I dropped the cup of lemonade to the floor as I gasped. My heart felt like it had stopped beating and tears began pouring down my face. “My – my mom – she was the only one home,” I said softly.

The teacher gave me a look of pity. “I’m sorry, Ketely. You might want to head home and see if your mom’s okay.”

I couldn’t answer her as I choked on my tears, breaking out into sobs.

“I’ll get her home, Ms. Harris,” John spoke before walking off.

I felt as if the room was spinning as I held my hands to my chest. The only thought going through my mind was a prayer for my mother. She had to be okay, because there wasn’t any other option.

“Ketely, let’s go. I got Kennedy’s keys,” John said, walking back to me. I stared at him in pure confusion, but he sighed and grabbed my hand. “There’s no time to waste.” He pulled me through the crowded gym, and out into the parking lot.

As we drove away from the school, I couldn’t do anything but cry. My head was against the window, and my knees were pulled into my chest, as my shaking hands were wrapped around them.

John cleared his throat. “Ketely … there’s really no reason to cry. I mean … you don’t know if anything’s wrong yet. I’m sure your mom made it out safe.”

I didn’t say anything; I didn’t have any strength to talk. Although he was right, my gut was telling me that there was something wrong … something horribly wrong.

When we turned onto my street, there was a fire truck and an ambulance in my driveway, parked behind my mother’s car. Neighbors stood out in front of the yard, watching in horror as my house went up in flames. A large cloud of black smoke hovered above the roof, and my jaw dropped as we parked. I wasted no time in getting out and running to what was left of my house. Before I could get past my yard, though, a police officer stopped me.

“Ma’am, you can’t go any further,” he told me.

“Th – that’s – that’s my house!” I cried, watching as the roof caved in.

His face dropped. “You’re Ketely Jewel Morrison?”

“Yes,” I whispered. “My – my mom was home. Is she okay?”

He sighed. “Miss Morri-“

Is she okay!?” I screamed.

“The firefighters haven’t found any bodies yet, Miss Morrison,” he stated glumly.

I suddenly felt as if I couldn’t breathe. I dropped to my knees as I watched what was once my house, burn to the ground, my mother trapped inside. Every feeling inside of me went numb as I cried uncontrollably, my whole body shaking.

I felt a warm hand run up and down my back. “Ketely, I’m so sorry,” he whispered, his voice holding sadness.

“My mom - is gone, John. She’s dead,” I bawled, hiding my face in my hands.

He didn’t say anything as he pulled me into his arms, hugging me tightly. And although we were normally sworn enemies, it didn’t matter, because I needed someone – anyone – at this moment. I needed someone to try and hold me together, because I was falling apart.

It was the first time John and I had ever shown kindness towards each other.
♠ ♠ ♠
- Ketely
- Kelsi

I know this chapter's sad. I'm sorry. ):
But on the bright side, thank you all for you being amazing readers and commenting!
American Idol's starting in a few minutes and I'm more than psyched, although
Brett L. didn't make it! He was such a big ball of fun and smiles! :'(
Anyways, I'm done getting off subject! Hahaa. (:

<3 Roxie