Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

IX

I gave Jack’s parents a hug while Jack was loading the back of the car. Kenny wrapped his arms around my waist.

“Why do you guys have to leave?” We laughed as Kenny held on tighter.

“Sorry bud, we got to get to my mom’s house. But next time you’re out in LA we’ll play quick six alright?” Kenny sighed and mumbled an okay. Jack came back in pulling Kenny into a hug then they started wrestling.

“Boys come on,” Jack’s mom said with a laugh. “Okay call us when you get into LA alright?” She told us as she hugged Jack.

“We will mom, we’ll see you guys later!” We waved bye as Jack helped me to the car so I didn’t slip in the snow. “I still can’t believe you’re wearing those heels.”

“What they’re cute, and technically they’re boots.” I told him as he pulled out of the drive way.

“Whatever you say, but you know I’ll laugh if you fall.”

“Awe aren’t you such a loving boyfriend?” I teased my hand rubbing his jaw.

“So who’s all going to be at your moms?” Jack asked as he turned onto the street. He parents only lived about twenty minutes away in Birmingham.

“I think just my Aunt Nancy, just warning, she may hit on you.” He just rolled his eyes and got out of the car. He came around and opened my door helping me out of the car. We walked to the front door. “Ready?”

“Babe,” Jack laughed opening the door.

“Ma?” I called out knowing Aunt Nancy was already here.

“My baby girl!” My mom yelled coming out of the kitchen. She pulled me into a tight hug. “Oh my baby look at you!” She pulled away looking me up and down. “Oh and you must be Jack!” I laughed as she pulled Jack into a hug. “Come on into the house kids, what’s in the bag?”

I looked over at Jack to see he was smiling at my mother. She must’ve already hit the wine.

“Some drinks ma,” I answered as we followed her into the kitchen. “Hey Aunt Nancy.” I walked over giving her a hug.

“Look at you, and this must be your boyfriend.” I chuckled as my aunt when over and started talking with Jack. “I’m jealous Emmy, I really am.”

“Well too bad Auntie, he’s mine.” I told her as I wrapped my arms around Jack’s waist. She just rolled her eyes before letting out a laugh.

“Oh Emmy can you go get the box that has the nice dishes in it from down in the basement?” I raised my eyebrows at my mom. “What I can’t reach it,”

“Neither can I!” We both turned to Jack and gave him a smile. “Come on I’ll show you where it is.” We went down the stairs and I pointed the box out to Jack for him to get from the top self. He just reached up grabbing it. “Come back down here after you give that to Ma,” I walked down to where my old room was and smiled seeing that it hadn’t changed much.

“So, why are we still down here?” Jack asked wrapping his arms around my waist. “This your old room?”

“Mhm . . . I haven’t been in here since I was, fifteen probably.” We stood there quietly for a few moments when we heard the front door open and close and mom say something.

“I thought no one else was coming over?”

“I didn’t think anyone was either, come on . . . Hey Ma!” I hollered up the stairs to try to get her attention. Rolling my eyes I walked up the stairs with Jack following behind me. “Did someone else come over Ma?”

“Yes. Your sister.” I bulked at the answer only to have Jack push me forward.

“Really?” I asked masking my tone of voice. Jack kept his hand on my lower back. We walked in to see Amy and her boyfriend Valtteri standing there. My eyes widen as I got a good look at him. “Oh wow.”

“Is that by any chance, the guy that thought you were his girlfriend?” I had to hold in my laugh, I knew Jack didn’t keep his voice low on purpose.

“Yeah. How have you been Amy?” I asked, she just looked between Jack and I. We exchanged out pleasantries and I watched Jack try to give a civil handshake to Val but was ignored. Jack came back to me with his jaw clenched. “Save it for the ice babe,” I could hear Amy talking with him. “You’re the better man for actually trying to establish something.” I glanced over Jack’s shoulder to see Amy shooting me a glare.

“Right,” Jack muttered. I leaned up placing my lips on his to appease him. “I can’t wait to get back to LA.”

“Awe is two days too long for you?” I asked with a giggle.

“Okay kids, food!”

“Let me get that Judy,” Jack said taking the plate of turkey from her.

“Well thank you Jack.” I snickered and grabbed out drinks following them into the dining room. We all dished out plates and sat there in silence, you could seriously cut the tension with a butter knife. “So Jack, I saw the game you played the other night. That was a nice goal you made,” I patted Jack’s thigh giving him a smile.

“Uh yeah it came at a good time, tied the game. Then Jarret made the shoot out goal,” I lifted my wine glass taking sip.

“His shot was pretty amazing, right over the pad between the post.” I gave Jack a smile while he just shrugged, and rubbed his neck.

“Did you play in the Olympics?” Aunt Nancy asked staring at Jack. He just nodded, I knew he didn’t like have the attention only on him. “What college did you play for?”

“University of Michigan, where my mom went, and I always wanted to play hockey for them.” I looked over to see Amy rolling her eyes every so often and Val just playing with the food while mom and Nancy talked with Jack.

“Now Val, are you as physical on the ice as Jack?” Nancy asked. I snickered and ignored the glare from Amy. “What, should I take that as a no?”

“Val more so keeps the peace for his team mates.” Amy answered still glaring at me.

“Jack is an old school hockey player, uses his body, and has one hell of a shot. Set a lot of records at U of M.” I stated with a smirk, still not breaking eye contact with Amy.

“My horse is bigger than your horse.” I heard mom mutter. “Okay, who wants dessert?”