Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XIV

Val turned away from the TV to watch Amy typing away quietly on her laptop. They were sitting on the couch in their living room with not much to do. Amy had been asked to cover the AHL All Star Game by Fox Sports Detroit, seeing as she worked for them part time. Usually she was just a tech. director, but they knew she was dedicated to hockey and that she was a good reporter.

It ended up working out because they paid for both Amy and Val’s tickets, even though they could have easily paid for them by themselves. They would have gone either way, because Ilari was playing for the Western team and they both wanted to be there to support him, even if his team ended up losing.

That brought Val to his current thoughts. While at the game, he had watched excitedly as his older brother scored a goal for his team. As he was celebrating, he noticed that Amy was just as excited as he was. It made him begin to think about their relationship and where it was going, and the thought hadn’t left his mind since. It had been four days and he couldn’t get it off his mind.


As I was typing away, trying to get the main parts of my story finished, Val was sitting near me on the couch watching TV. He had been more quiet than usual the past few days, but I let it go as one of the odd moods he got sometimes.

Suddenly, he got up and walked into our bedroom. I stopped typing and felt my eyebrows pull together in confusion. I watched the doorway and he emerged not very long after, his hands in his pockets.

“What was that about?” I asked as he took a seat next to me again.

“Nothing. Don’t worry about it,” He said, looking from me back to the TV. I frowned at him slightly, before brushing it off and returning to my work. In a few minutes, I was finished. Putting my laptop on the coffee table, I leaned over into Val. I expected him to put his arm around me, since that’s what he always does, but this time he didn’t.

“Seriously Val. What is up with you lately?” I asked, turning to look at him. He looked at me, slightly shocked.

“I told you nothing..”

“There’s something on your mind, I can tell. I’ve known you for years Val. Now tell me what it is!” I demanded. He looked at me before closing his eyes tightly and rubbing them.

“I didn’t want to do it like this…” He said quietly and I looked at him curiously.

“What do you mean?” I asked slowly.

“You’re right, I have had something on my mind lately. And I’ve been trying to think of the best way to go about it, but nothing seems right.”

“Val?”

“It’s why I’ve been stuck inside my head the past few days, though I’m sure you can understand that…” At this point it hit me and I realized what he wanted to do.

“Val…are you…?”

“Am I what?” He asked, looking over at me.

“I mean, do you…want to break up with me?” I asked, seeing as I had never seen anyone act like this unless they were going to break up with or leave their significant other with no warning.

“What?!” He demanded, surprise washing over his features. “No! What would make you even think that?”

“I dunno,” I said quietly, shrugging. “The way you’ve been acting…”

“Oh man, I really didn’t want to do it this way but I have to now…”

“Do what?!” He covered his face with his hands for a second before turning to face me fully.

“Amy, we’ve known each other for years, and have been dating for a lot of that time, right?”

“…right.” I had no idea where he was going with this, but I was still a bit worried.

“Oh my God, I didn’t think this would be so hard. You know I love you, and I hope to God every day that you feel the exact same way. And I’ve been trying to get myself to do this for awhile now, I just haven’t found the right time for it. I wanted it to be perfect.”

“Wanted what to be perfect Val?” I asked, still trying to figure out what was going on.

“Well…I got this for you a few weeks ago,” He said as he pulled a black box out of his pocket before handing it to me.

“What…”

“Just…open it.” I did as I was told and froze in place, feeling tears spring into my eyes.

“Val…”

“I know it’s not the most romantic thing ever, but I love you…and I wanted to know if you would do me the honor of marrying me.” I couldn’t respond. This was the absolute last thing I had expected from him. I couldn’t do anything but stare down at the beautiful ring inside the small box I held in my hand.

“Amy?” He asked after a few moments and I felt my head turn to him without realizing I was doing it.

“Yeah?”

“Can I get an answer? Will you marry me?” He asked, laughing slightly. I looked from him to the ring, eyes wide.

“Yes! Of course!” I said, grinning at him like a child who had just won a huge carnival prize. I wrapped my arms around him, pushing him so we were lying down on the couch now, my arms wrapped around his neck, both of us wearing huge grins.

“Really?” He asked excitedly and I nodded.

“Yes really!” I pulled me down for a kiss, which ended up leading to a bit more celebration.