Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XVIII

I couldn’t help but stare at the bump on my sisters stomach. It was hard to digest the fact that she was pregnant. Sure, her and Jack had been together forever, but I didn’t like it. There was something about him that bugged me. Yes, it’d probably be different if we actually talked and were nice to each other, but that was rather difficult when I hardly even talked to my sister.

“So wait a minute. You’re pissed that I didn’t tell you I was engaged, yet you don’t share with us that you’re pregnant? Who else knows about it?” I demanded, wondering if she saw the hypocrisy in it.

“Just Jack..”

“Bullshit.” Ever since we were kids, we could tell when each other was lying. The knack apparently hadn’t been lost even though we hadn’t talked in forever.

“Okay fine, Jack, Sid and Drew.” As she looked at me, she realized I didn’t know who she was talking about. “Drew Doughty and Sidney Crosby.”

“Oh you have got to be shitting me. Sidney fucking Crosby knew my sister was pregnant before I did?” I demanded, glaring at her.

“At least you didn’t figure it out because of NHL Overtime!” She said loudly as an angry look took over her features.

“You say that as if I’m the one who told them!” I challenged.

“Well they had to find out somehow!”

“It sure as hell wasn’t me! Sorry, I don’t really call networks to announce my love life.”

“Well how did the Wings announcer find out?” She asked, crossing her arms over her chest, throwing a glance at our mom.

“Maybe because I actually told him.”

“Why would you tell him instead of your family?!”

“Because I work with him all the time! And he’s like a father to me!”

“Does your own father even know? Probably not since Mom didn’t know either…”

“Yeah? Maybe that’s because Mickey’s been more of a dad to me than our actual dad has…”

“Are you kidding me?!” She blew up, throwing her hands in the air. “Maybe if you let him be a father to you, he would be one!!”

“Well I took into account the fact that after I stopped talking to him, he put forth no effort whatsoever to contact me ever again. So I’m not going to say sorry for harboring a grudge, because I’m not.” At this I turned and stormed out of the house. I didn’t feel like fighting with her anymore.

As I got in the car, I slammed the door, trying to calm myself down. My phone rang quietly from inside my purse and I reached for it.

“Hello?” I asked, jamming the keys into the ignition so I could leave.

Hey, are you okay?” Upon hearing Val’s voice, I relaxed a little bit.

“Define okay,” I sighed as I pulled out of the driveway.

What happened?

“Emily is pissed at me because Mickey knew we were engaged before she did, even though she’s pregnant and some guy from the Kings knows and fucking Sidney Crosby.”

Sidney Crosby knows..?” He asked, sounding confused.

“Yeah. I don’t know how or why, but I don’t care right now.”

You’re not still over your Moms, are you?

“No. I had to leave. I didn’t feel like staying just to fight. Now I have to find something to do.”

Well, we’re about to get to the airport. I can’t really help you out other than talking to you until I get to security and have to board. But I‘ll be back later today.

“I know Val, you asked me to pick you up from the airport,” I said, laughing as I turned onto the freeway, deciding to just go home.

I was just making sure you remembered.

-

“So…Crosby knew and you didn’t?” Jimmy asked as we all sat around the living room of Hanks house.

“Yeah..” I said, looking into the wine glass in my hand.

“…ew.” He said, causing everyone to burst out laughing.

“That was my first thought too Jimmy,” I said and he laughed.

“Well we are alike in a lot of ways,” He pointed out.

“So do you think you two will ever get back to normal?” Hank asked as he leaned against the door jam. I turned to look back at him before answering with a sigh.

“I don’t know. At this rate, I doubt it. One can only hope.”

“How come she was so mad that you didn’t call her first about the engagement? I mean, honestly, you two haven’t talked in how long?” Justin asked.

“We haven’t talked in like six years up until recently. I don’t know why she’s mad. I mean…I remember when we were younger, like thirteen or something, we made an agreement that we would be the first to know if the other got engaged, pregnant or arrested.”

“Arrested?” Todd asked, laughing while shaking his head.

“I think that was more of a joke. Or we really believed the other would be thrown in the slammer. But either way, it was something we decided on when we were so young, I don’t really take it seriously. And I don’t know if she does or not…”