Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XXIII

I dropped Jack off at the airport after the won against the Wings in their final meeting. I was staying in Detroit for a couple of days to do some designs for the University of Michigan. I headed to my mother’s house knowing she’d still be up from watching the game. Pulling into the drive way I noticed another car in the drive way and groaned knowing it was Amy. Shaking my head I got out of the car and went into my mother’s house.

“Sweetie calm down,” I heard my mother comfort. Frowning I made my way towards the living room. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw Amy sitting on the couch sobbing with tears coming down her face.

“What’s going on?” Both of their heads snapped towards me.

“Thanks to you Val may not marry me!” Amy yelled. My eyes widened while my jaw slacked.

“Why does that have anything to do with me?”

“Because he doesn’t want to marry if we don’t get along.” She sneered as she stood from the couch.

“Uh . . .” I looked over at my mom confused and she just shrugged.

“You don’t want me to be happy do you? You can’t stand that I’m happy!”

“Okay first off, get over yourself!” I told her. “Secondly I’m happy that you have Val because I know he treats you just as good as Jack treats me and will make a wonderful father someday!” She just stood there with her hands rested on her hips. “You know I sent you that photo of the baby in hopes that you’d see how much I want you in my child’s life but apparently you don’t give a shit!” I yelled back.

“Oh like you even fucking try!” Neither of us noticed that our mom had left the room. “I know Val and he wouldn’t bring up this shit unless he was provoked!”

“Do you hear yourself?! My god maybe he’s tired of how childish you are with holding the stupidest grudges ever. The last time I spoke with Val was in LA! I didn’t even see him tonight,” We both stood there staring at each other, taking deep breaths. “I’m not supposed to be getting worked up,” I muttered taking a seat. I glanced over to see Amy was wiping her face. “Amy . . . why don’t you want to be in your niece or nephews life?”

“You didn’t tell me you were pregnant,” She mumbled as she crossed her arms.

“And you didn’t tell me you were engaged . . .”

“Girls,” Both of our heads turned to see our mom standing there. “You both broke the same promise to tell each other first. But you need to get over it and realize you only have one sister and if you don’t stop this petty little feud then twenty or more years later you’ll realize how stupid you both are being.” We both looked down at our hands like when we were little. “Now I did not raise either of you to be this way. I am going to bed, when I wake up I expect to have my daughters back.”

“Do you feel like we’re nine again and broke her vase?” I asked looking over at her.

“You were the one that hit the puck and broke the window first,”

“I thought it’d stop at the window,” We looked over at each other then started laughing.

“I told you to get into hockey,”

“Yeah well, we can’t be as violent as the boys for some reason.” We stayed in silence for a few minutes. “I’m sorry for what Val said,” She looked over me with sad eyes. “I’ll beat him up if you want me too.”

“That’s alright,” I just nodded and rubbed my stomach. She sat down on the other couch the silence was deafening. I hoped that this was the step in the right direction for us.