Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XXIV

As I laid in bed, I couldn’t help but think about the events of the day. Reflecting on them, I realized if I didn’t stop, then I would never be able to fall asleep. However, not matter how hard I tried, the thoughts just came right back, taunting me and keeping me awake.

I heard the front door open and shut soon after. Sighing, I turned on my side, once again trying to fall asleep. Talking to Val was the last thing I wanted at the moment, so I decided to act like I was sleeping and hope that he would believe it.

After he put his things away and changed out of his clothes, he climbed into bed.

“Amy?” He asked quietly and I squeezed my eyes shut, forbidding myself from talking to him. I knew that it would just get me worked up again no matter what he said, and I didn’t feel like crying anymore.

“Come on, I know you’re up…” After waiting a few beats, he sighed and rolled over to lie on his back. Moments later, I heard his breathing even out, signaling that he had fallen asleep. I groaned as I rolled back onto my back, trying to make myself sleep.

-

“There’s no way Val would break up with you over that…or ever for that reason,” Justin said, trying to cheer me up as we both sat in a small coffee shop. I currently had my chin resting in my hands as I stared down into the large cup of coffee I had.

“I don’t know,” I said, leaning back in my seat to look up at one of my best friends. “He said he was serious.”

“I can’t even picture that though. I’ve seen the way you guys are, the way he looks at you when you’re together. Everyone has. If he were to break off the engagement, I’m pretty sure the world would end.”

“Thanks Justin,” I said with a sigh as I turned to look out the window.

“Look, I’m not talking about it to bum you out. You know that. All I’m saying is that everyone knows how in love you two are, there’s no doubt about it. Even if he uses that as a threat to get you and Emily to get along again, which I have to add is intense but seems like it might work, he won’t actually break up with you. And if he does, he has nearly a whole hockey team ready to kick his ass!” He said, and I noticed a few people shooting him looks, causing me to smile.

“You’re so loud,” I said, trying not to let the grin break across my face at what he had said.

“It’s a trait I can’t seem to lose,” He said, shrugging as he brought his coffee up to his mouth for a sip.

“So you don’t…you don’t think he’d actually do it?” I asked quietly, looking at him to see the reaction.

“I honestly don’t, but that’s my opinion. I just know that he’s madly in love with you, just like you are with him. I can’t see him doing it, but I can understand why he used that as a threat. Making up with Emily wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world, and he knows you love him enough to put the drama between you two aside in order to have him to yourself for the rest of your lives, you know?”

“Jesus Justin, when did you get so deep?” I asked and he laughed.

“I can be deep when I want to be!”

“Apparently.”

“So honestly, if you want my opinion on the matter…I’d say just go for it. Ignore what happened before, ignore the grudge and be friends with her again. Forget whatever it was that pissed you off and just be done with it. She’s your twin right? Is it safe to assume you two were close growing up?” He asked and I nodded slowly.

“Very close.”

“So what happened to that?”

“..I don’t know. She left to go to California with my dad not long after the divorce. She came to visit a few times, then our conversations got fewer and fewer before they just stopped completely.”

“That never occurred to you? That you weren’t talking to your sister as much as you used to?”

“Well, when I got into high school and college, I didn’t think much of it. I figured she was just as busy as I was I suppose.”

“What about your dad? What happened with him?” At this I stopped.

“I haven’t talked to him for a long time…”

“As long as you went without talking to Emily?”

“…Longer.”

“Why?” He asked, a shocked expression taking over his features.

“Because he left us to move across the fucking country! And then took my twin sister from me!” I exclaimed, throwing my hands up in the air. “Do I not have a reason to be able to not like him?” I demanded.

“To each their own. I can’t imagine not talking to my dad for that long… Has he tried contacting you?”

“No. Not since I stopped calling him.”

“Are you going to invite him to the wedding when you guys have it?” At this question I froze. Was I going to invite him to the wedding? Sure, I was pissed at him for leaving, but he was my dad after all. And as far as I knew, for him it was just Emily and I.

“…I don’t know.”