Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XXIX

I glanced over at Jack as I flipped over the French toast I was making for breakfast. He had already made his protein enriched breakfast before he’d go off for morning skate. Shaking my head I was wondering what had him in such an odd mood. I plated my food and sat down across from him and just looked at him.

“What’s bothering you?” I asked setting my fork down.

“Nothin,” He mumbled as he continued to look through the paper.

“Really, because you’ve been in some weird ass mood for nearly the past week.” I told him, finally getting him to look at me. “So are you going to tell me what’s wrong or am I going to have to guess?” Jack let out a sigh and closed the paper.

“I got a call from Sid,”

“Okay . . . is he not feeling well or something?” I asked knowing he had just come back from the head injury.

“No it’s not that . . .” Crossing my arms over my chest I stared at Jack waiting for him to continue. “He said he ran into your sister on Monday after the game.”

“Okay?”

“He thought it was you, and then she called him a dumbass,” I held in my snicker. “Emily honestly, I don’t like that your sister was rude to Sid.”

“Oh Jack come on, he’s a big boy. If he didn’t like that Amy talked to him without any respect then he’ll have to get over it.” Jack just sat there staring at me.

“She doesn’t know him!”

“How do we know that? Sid could’ve said shit to Val, not knowing Amy was with him and that could cause a rift. Plus he’s a Pen, they’re Wings, you should know all about rivalries!” I told Jack, my arms resting on the table as I defended my sister.

“So what? Shit happens on the ice, you leave it there!” I rolled my eyes.

“Not everyone is like you Jack! What if some Duck said shit about me on the ice? Would you just leave it there?” Jack sat there with his jaw clenched. “Exactly. Amy can dislike whoever she wants to.”

“She’s your sister, what if they’re over at the same time and she starts shit?”

“Oh my . . . she wouldn’t do that. Out of respect for us, she’d hold her tongue. We’ve had friends that each other hasn’t liked before,”

“Can you tell her to just not be mean to him?”

“No,”

“No? You’re kidding right?” Jack asked getting mad.

“I’m not kidding Jack. She’s my sister but I’m not going to ask her to get along with Sid just because we want her to!”

“But he’s my best friend!”

“And she’s my twin sister!” I countered. We sat there staring at each other. I knew Jack and Sid went way back, friends for ten, if not more, years. “Look I know you want her to get along with our friends, but she wont and I sure as hell know she won’t like Kane.” Jack stood up and put his plate in the sink and grabbed his car keys. “Where are you going?”

“I’ll be late for morning skate if I don’t leave now.”

“You’re seriously leaving?”

“Yes because this conversation is going nowhere.” I let out a scoff making him stop in his tracks. “What, I can’t be mad you won’t stand up for my best friend, a guy who’s like my brother?”

“No you can go ahead but do you know what? I am not going to be bossed around by you and told to tell my sister how to treat people!”

“She should learn or she won’t be coming around here!” My jaw dropped as I just stared at Jack.

“So you’re saying, it’s your best friend or my sister?” I shook my head. “Do you know what Jack?”

“What?” He asked with a sigh.

“I’d choose my sister over you. I’ll choose my son over you any day if you think for one minute that your friend is more important than my family. I would never, ever ask you to choose one of my friends over Kenny.” I stood up from the table and wiped my eyes. “Go to practice,”

“Em,”

“No Jack just go if that’s how you feel then . . .” I shook my head as Jack slowly walked over to me. “No don’t you get it? I don’t want to be with you if you’re going to be like this!”

“What about my son?” Jack asked. I couldn’t look him in the eyes knowing that he was hurt and angry.

“He’s mine too and honestly . . . I wouldn’t want him around you if you’re going to continue acting like this.” I kept my eyes trained on his shoes. I knew that he was pinching the bridge of his nose. “Well . . .?”

“I’m not going to say anything because if I do, it’s going to be something I’ll regret.” I finally looked up at him, my jaw dropped.

“Seriously?” He just nodded. “Go to practice Johnson,” I muttered pushing past him. I heard him mutter something under his breath about wishing he didn’t knock me up. “Leave already alright!” I said turned around and screaming at him making him jump. “And fuck you! If you wish you didn’t get me pregnant then you won’t see me or my son again!”

I left him standing there in the living room as I went into the bedroom slamming the door. I heard the front door open and close, finally breaking down I collapsed on the bed.