Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XXXI

I was still curled on the bed when I heard the door open and close again; I knew it was Amy coming back from where ever. I ignored her as she came into the room not saying a word. Growing curious I looked over my shoulder to see she had gone into my closet and came out holding one of my suit cases.

“What are you doing?” I asked as she pulled my clothes out and started throwing them in the bag.

“You are leaving. If you want Jack to take you seriously, you have to be gone by the time he gets back.” Amy told me as she went in and out of the bathroom with my stuff. “We’ll get you a flight to Michi—”

“I’m not leaving,”

“But if you—”

“I’m not leaving the state Amy, I—I can’t do that . . . or fly.” She looked up at me pursing her lips.

“Okay then, guess we can go to dads?”

-

I kicked my feet in the pool as the night breeze came through the hills at my dad’s house. I hadn’t said much to dad but I’m guessing Amy filled him in seeing as he bought plenty of ice cream for me. They were both inside watching the game, or at least dad was. I had turned my phone off after it wouldn’t stop ringing.

“Emmy come inside,” I heard Amy yell from the back door. Sighing I stood up and made my way inside. Dad’s girl friend wasn’t anywhere to be seen after she met Amy. I guess she couldn’t handle two of us and was too young to be a ‘grandma’.

“Why did you want me to come in here?” I asked quietly. Amy pointed to the TV where dad had the game on. My jaw dropped as I saw Jack throwing his fist at some guys face.

“They had to replace the glass twice from two of his shots on goal.” Dad said not taking his eyes of the TV. “It’s like his college days,” I just rolled my eyes and made my way into the kitchen ignoring the fact my phone was lying on the counter.

“Did he get ejected?” I heard Amy ask.

“No, they gave him a penalty and there’s only a couple minutes left in second so they sent him to the locker room.” Dad answered. I just sighed grabbing the tub of Ben & Jerry’s and my phone before disappearing up stairs with Chester behind me.

Once I got into my room, I closed the door and set the ice cream on the night stand. Biting my lip I debated whether or not to turn my phone on. Deciding to, I turn it on, my eyes watered seeing how many missed calls and text I had from Jack.

I’m sorry, please tell me where you are.

Are you safe? Is our son safe?

Will you be at the game? Tell me if you are so we can talk.

I scored that goal for you.


Tears started to slip down my face as my phone started vibrating and saw it was a new text from him.

I get it. You hate me and won’t talk to me. Please know I’m sorry, for everything. I love you and I guess I won’t bother you. Let me know about our son at least? Please, or let my family be involved. I fucked up I know but I love you and our son. My life isn’t anything without you two.

Shaking my head I curled up onto the bed trying to fall asleep.

-

“Em, wake up your phone has been ringing like crazy!” I groaned opening my eyes, it was just past midnight and Amy was standing there with my phone in hand. “It’s Drew,”

“Hello?”

“Have you seen Jack?” The first words out of his mouth.

“Not since this morning,”

“Fuck . . .” I sat up and glanced over at Amy and saw she was looking at me confused.

“What’s going on Drew?”

“After he left second period, he changed and left Staples . . . and no one can get a hold of him. Wayne and I went to the apartment but he wasn’t there. He won’t answer our calls either.”

“Drew are you sure?”

“I’m not fucking around Ems, everyone here is looking for him. Coach is freaking out and they’re keeping this quiet. Have you heard anything from him?”

“Uh a few hours ago he sent me a text . . . but he didn’t say he was going anywhere,” I looked over at Amy and saw her eyes were wide, she connected the dots. “Look I’ll try calling him just go scout out his favorite spots.” I hung up and looked at Amy.

“What’s going on?” I shook my head wiping eyes, getting sick of crying.

“He’s missing . . . Jack isn’t answering anyone’s calls and isn’t at the apartment. It’s my fault. God what if does something Amy?”

“He won’t Em—” I just handed her the phone with the text he sent me. “Or he just might.”
♠ ♠ ♠
RIP Ian Jenkins
Top USA Goalie prospect
1995-2011