Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XXXIV

“Do you want muffins? I’m craving blueberry muffins,” Emily said as she walked in the kitchen, seeing me seated at the table with a mug of coffee in front of me. I turned to look at her with wide eyes.

“Uh…sure. I thought I was the one that was supposed to like blueberries, not you…” At this she laughed.

“You know the whole, being pregnant and craving the most random crap thing? Yeah, that’s totally true. How many do you think you’ll want?” I watched as she searched through our fathers fridge for the supplies.

“Just a few,” I said, taking a sip of my coffee. “So where’s that skank, I haven’t seen her since I brought you here.”

After Emily had made up with Jack at the beach, we had gotten her stuff and she went back to their apartment while I went back to the hotel my friend had reserved for me. They had ended up delaying filming for two days so I could make sure Emily was alright. I was now visiting her because she was house sitting for him while he was away on business.

“I haven’t seen her since she left a few days ago,” Emily said as she quickly set the temperature of the oven and began mixing ingredients together in a big bowl.

“Good riddance,” I said quietly, sipping my coffee again as I heard the door open.

“I think you spoke too soon,” Emily told me as I sat and watched the doorway.

“Oh…what are you doing here?” I rolled my eyes as the woman walked in the room. I hadn’t even caught her name the first time I met her, and I honestly didn’t care to. I knew her type. And if Emily didn’t like her, then I knew I wouldn’t. “Oh God, she’s here too?”

I stared at her, a stone expression on my face as she looked over to me. She then proceeded to go through the cupboards in search of something. Sighing heavily, she slammed one closed before sneaking a glance at me out of the corner of her eye to see that I was still staring with the same expression.

“What are you looking for?” Emily asked, pouring the batter into a muffin pan.

“Nothing. Why is she staring at me like that?!” The blonde demanded and Emily turned to look over at me before attempting to hold in a snicker.

“I don’t know what you mean. She’s not doing anything weird…”

“You’re both weird. I haven’t even met you yet and I don’t like you. You’re probably just like her!” She said, turning to shout at me, her voice getting even more annoying than I thought possible. As she waved a finger at me, I calmly stood up and took a step towards her, causing her to shrink back considerably.

“Wanna say that again sweetheart?” I asked, a sickly sweet voice coming out of my mouth, causing Emily to hide her laughter again.

“I expect her to be out of this house by the time I get back tomorrow,” She said as she whipped around and passed Emily to walk out of the kitchen.

“You say that as if this if your house. You don’t make the rules, and you sure as hell won’t kick my fathers children out. I know he might like you for God knows what reason, but he likes us more. Just remember that,” Emily said, and I felt a smile settle on my face as we both watched her mouth open and close multiple times before she let out a frustrated yell and left.

“That was interesting,” I commented, walking over to help Emily prepare the rest of the muffins.

“She would have just left if you hadn’t creeped on her,” Emily said, finally letting her laugh out.

“It was too easy. She’s easily intimidated too,” I pointed out, picking a few blueberries out of the package and popping them in my mouth. “When’s he gunna get home anyway?”

“Tonight or tomorrow morning I think.” A silence settled over us as I watched her put the last pan in the oven and set the timer.

“So you’re really friends with Crosby?” I asked, leaning against the counter as Emily sighed and turned around to face me.

“Not one hundred percent by choice.” At this my eyebrows raised.

“Oh really?”

“I mean, he’s not as bad as I’m sure you think he is. Sure that whole thing with him not shaking Lidstrom’s…well, half the teams hands when they won the Cup was extremely idiotic. But he’s not as bad as everyone makes him out to be, really.” I had a skeptical look on my face and Emily shook her head.

“Em, you know I wanna trust you on this. But all the shit that’s happened with him and the team, they’re like my family.” She nodded.

“I understand that completely. That’s how I am with my boys. But Jack and him have been friends for so long, I can’t do anything about it.” She looked down slightly before glancing at the clock.

“I know the reason for the fight was basically my distain for him,” At the she laughed quietly. “And you know I’m sorry about that. I know Jack doesn’t trust me and all that. You don’t have to tell me, I know. But that isn’t the point. The fact that he thinks I’m going to do something like fight with him if there’s ever an event with you guys and the kid, that’s just bullshit. I know how much Jack means to you, and after seeing how stressed you both got over me not liking him, I can put that aside. As long as I only see him in small amounts. Because eventually, I will blow up.” Emily smiled at me while shaking her head.

“You’re such an idiot sometimes,” As she said this I grinned at her, nodding slightly. “But thank you. It means a lot.”