Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XXXVI

I sat in the booth of the small restaurant, twisting my ring around my finger. Val had invited me to go to lunch with him, yet failed to mention that he was also doing an interview during it. I gazed out the window, waiting for the interview to be over so I could hold an actual conversation with Val. I turned upon feeling eyes on me to see the interviewer focusing on me.

“So how are the plans for the wedding going?” The man asked, looking from me back to Val.

“Pretty good last time I checked. Obviously I can’t help out as much as I’d like to seeing as I’m on the road so often. My brothers wife has been helping us plan it all out. She’s been a godsend.” The man nodded, jotting down some notes.

“If the Wings in the Cup this year, do you think that’ll affect the wedding at all?”

“I hope not,” Val said with a sigh, running his hand through his hair. “I mean, it’s in the middle of the summer. If anything, we can just push it back a few weeks.”

“Alright well, I’m pretty sure I have everything I need. It was a pleasure meeting and talking with you Valtteri. You too Amy,” He said, smiling as he shook both our hands.

“Likewise,” I said, forcing a smile. As I watched his retreating form, I leaned my head against Val’s shoulder. “You forgot to tell me you had an interview, genius.”

“I know. I just didn’t feel like sitting here alone and I knew you wouldn’t show up if you knew,” He said and I could tell without looking at him that he was grinning at his cunning ways.

“You’re not that cool Val,” I mumbled as I sat back up.

“I actually am though,” He said with a cheeky grin. “So back to the wedding talk. Are we inviting your dad? Have you decided that at all?”

I sucked in a breath at this. Everyone knew that I had actually given up and spoken to my dad, even visited him in California while I was with Emily. But there was a lot that still needed to be repaired in our relationship.

“I guess. I mean, it’d be rude not to invite him, especially after we’ve been talking a little bit.” Val nodded, watching me intently as I spoke.

“Do you think you’ll have him walk you down the aisle?” I stopped at that question.

“I haven’t even thought about that…” I trailed off, looking down at my finger again. “That’s something you’re supposed to know before you start planning the wedding. How am I supposed to know if we’ll be better in a few months. Hell, we could do something to piss each other off and be back at the start again!” I looked over to see Val listening intently to what I was saying, waiting for me to finish.

“I just think you should go along with your life like normal, see what happens. If you want to discuss it with him, go ahead. However, it might stress you guys out too much and ruin your relationship again if both of you are trying too hard. It’s all up to you though, I don’t care who walks you down the aisle, just as long as they’re walking you to me.” I couldn’t help but laugh at how corny he sounded, but I grinned at him nontheless.

“Thank you Val, I needed that,” I said, leaning over to place a kiss on his lips.

“I know you did. Justin is having some people over tonight, I told him we’d be there since I figured you’d need that too,” He said, knowing I loved spending time with Justin and the rest of the guys.

“Who else is going to be there?” I asked as we watched the waitress approach us with our check.

“Darren and Todd for sure. Drew and Jimmy, and then Hank and Drapes might show up too. Among other people probably. So are we going or do I need to call them and say we can’t make it?”

“No, we’re going!” I said happily as he put a few bills on the table, smiling at my excitement.

-

I sat on the arm rest of the couch in Justin’s living room, massaging his neck as both of our eyes were glued to the TV, completely engrossed in it.

“You guys are so weird.” I turned to see Todd watching us, an amused look on his face.

“How are we weird?” I questioned, looking back to the TV just in time to see someone get shot in the back.

“You’re watching a movie while giving him a massage? It’s random.” I shrugged, waiting for someone else to get killed in the movie.

“His neck has been bothering him all week now. I figured I’d try to help out.”

“Is Val going to get jealous?” He asked, laughing when he saw the look I gave him. “Where is he, anyway?”

“He said he had some stuff to take care of and he’s going to meet me here,” I said, glancing at the clock to see that I had already been there close to an hour and there was no sign of Val yet. As I was looking at the clock, I heard the door open. “Can you see who that is from where you’re sitting?”

“Nahh,” Todd said as he leaned his head back, trying to see the door.

“It’s me,” I heard Val say moments before walking in the room. “What’s going on here?”

“Watching movies,” Drew answered from his spot on the couch. I moved off the couch to follow Val when he walked into the kitchen.

“Are you alright?” I asked as we entered the empty kitchen. I could tell there was something off about him, but I had no idea what.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” He said and I took notice of how short his answer was.

“You sure?” I asked, walking over so I was standing in front of him, looking up into his eyes.

“Yes.” He nodded before leaning down to kiss me quickly. I frowned slightly as he glanced around, not acting like himself.

“Do you want to just leave?” I asked quietly, wishing he would just tell me what was wrong. He thought for a second before shrugging.

“I don’t know. I’m not really in the mood to hang out with people.”

“So you want to leave?” I asked and he sighed.

“I guess. You should stay though, you haven’t seen the guys in awhile.”

“Val…”

“Just stay. I’ll see you when you get home, alright?” He asked and I bit my lip before nodding. After placing another short kiss on my lips, he turned and walked out quickly, leaving me standing in the kitchen by myself, still wondering what was wrong with him.