Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

LIII

I laid on my side in the hospital bed, holding Jack’s hand. After Amy had disappeared looking for Jack, five minutes later she had found him talking with Brian Rafalski, his Team USA teammate from the Olympics and now retired Red Wing. But once she had found him he got the car started up and brought it to the front of the reception hall. I closed my eyes shut as another contraction ripped through my lower stomach. I had felt bad that I went into labor on Amy’s wedding night but I had insisted that they stay at the reception instead of sitting in a hospital the whole time.

“Good, you’re doing good.” Jack said quietly as he brushed the hair out of my face. I just nodded, closing my eyes again.

“Knock, knock.” I heard my mom voice say as she came into the room. “How are you doing sweetheart?” She asked once I opened my eyes again.

“Good, what are you doing here?”

“Well the reception is over, your dad is out in the lobby talking with your grandparents.”

“So are Amy and Val at the hotel?”

“Yes, they went there to get changed then they’re heading over here—”

“What? No! They need to spend their wedding night together!” I told her.

“We tried to convince them but this is what they wanted both of them.” I glanced over at Jack and he just shrugged. “How far along are you?”

“When they last checked I was at six and fully effaced.” I told her as I felt another contraction come.

“When are you getting the epidural?” She asked as she rubbed my back while I squeezed Jack’s hand.

“She’s not,” Jack answered for me.

“You’re joking!”

“Em decided she wanted to go natural.” I heard my mom mutter something under her breath then my hospital room door opened.

“Okay let’s get this baby out! We’ve got a flight at one tomorrow.” Amy announced walking into the room with Val behind her. “How long do you have left?”

“It’s not a game Amy, it could take her another day to fully dilate.” Mom scolded.

“Hold your tongue,” Amy and I chorused.

“Oh for heaven sakes, I’ll go get you more ice chips.” I watched mom leave the room then looked over at Amy and Val.

“You didn’t have to come,” I told her as she sat down on my bed next to me.

“But I can’t miss my nephew being born! Of course, he won’t be cute until after all the stuff is cleaned off of him.” Amy told me with a smile.

“So you’re going to Finland right?” I asked to change the subject and distract myself.

“Yep and other places in Europe.”

“You’re so going to be pregnant when you get back.” I told her with a smirk. Jack and Val just looked at us and shook their heads.

“No I won’t, Val and I already talked about it—”

“You know what they say about the people in Finland, right?” I asked Amy, cutting her off.

“No, what?” She looked over at me confused as did Val.

“They know how to get things Finnished properly.” Amy looked at me for a moment then shook her head. I glanced over at Val and started laughing. “Awe, did I embarrass my brother in law?”

“Oh my God Val, your face is so red!” Amy chimed in with a giggle.

-

I groaned, sitting up in the bed, trying to relieve pressure. I glanced over to see Jack was busy texting his teammates, friends, and family. Amy had her feet propped up on my bed while Val was out in the lobby with our dad. Mom sat in the other chair, catching a few winks of sleep.

“Well it’s almost four in the morning.” Amy said quietly.

“And?”

“Means I don’t have to share my wedding anniversary with your kids birthday.” I just shook my head while rubbing my stomach. “I don’t get how you’re doing this without pain meds.”

“It isn’t easy, I’ll tell you that—Amy,”

“What?” She sat straight up looking at me wide eyed. Jack looked up from his phone watching us. “Do you need something?”

“Uh . . .” I paused for a moment taking a deep breath. “I think I need to push,”

“I’ll go get the nurse and doctor.” Jack said bolting out of his chair. Amy turned and started to pester mom to wake her up. A minute later the doctor and the nurse walked in with Jack following.

“Alright let’s check you and see what’s going on,” I held in a groan as I lay on my back uncomfortably. Amy grabbed my right hand while Jack had my left. “Oh yeah, it’s defiantly time, you’re crowning.”

“What?” Amy looked over at me confused.

“Don’t want to look down there.” I told her, she just nodded and helped me sit up to the position I wanted. Jack held my left ankle while mom grabbed my right.

“Remind to get a C—Section when I have kids,” Amy muttered making me laugh.

“Okay on the next contraction I want you to push. We can have him here in a matter of minutes.” I just nodded taking a deep breath.

“Come on Emmy,” I heard Amy whisper as mom and Jack counted to ten.

“Good, another strong push and we can have the shoulders out!” Amy placed her head on top of mine as I concentrated on using my core muscles and ignoring the slight burn. “Okay one more gentle push . . .” I took a deep breath doing as she said until I felt no more pressure and heard a cry. “Oh and he’s a big boy!”

I looked up to see the doctor holding him then she placed him on my chest. I felt Amy wipe away a few tears while Jack cut the cord. Once the nurse took him, I looked up to see Amy and my mom were both crying. Jack kissed my forehead before going over to where Junior was. Mom gave me a kiss and followed Jack.

“Alright, born on July twelfth, two thousand eleven, at three fifty one in the morning.” I heard one of the nurses saying. “Eight pounds, six ounces, and twenty two inches long.”

“Jesus, no wonder you got so big!” Amy exclaimed looking over at me. I just nodded as I got readjusted in the bed. Jack smiled as he turned around, holding Junior and walked over to me. He carefully handed him over to me, making more tears spring up.

“Alright mommy, you guys get your time, then a nurse will take him to get him bathed and they’ll run their test. We’ll move you to your room and you can get showered.” I smiled at the doctor and nodded.

“I’m going to go tell Val and everyone,” Amy told me quietly as she brushed hair out of my face.

“Okay,” She leaned over kissing Junior’s forehead then left the room quickly. “Hi little guy, happy birthday.”

“So, what position are you planning him playing in?” Jack asked quietly.

“Defense, just like his daddy.” I told Jack with a smile. I leaned over, giving him a kiss before turning my attention back to our son.