Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

LXI

I smiled as I glanced down at my two month old baby boy. Being back in LA for nearly a month was a change of pace for Jack and I. I was so happy to return home and see that my dad had finished the rest of the house for us and that Junior’s nursery was one hundred percent finished. Ever since we got back, Jack has been working out even more then he usually does and now that it’s training camp he’s gone most of the day. My days were basically filled with just our son until he got home.

“Hey babe,” Jack said as he came into the nursery. “How’s he doing today?”

“Good,” I told him with as smile as I leaned into his chest. “Maybe we’ll get lucky and he’ll sleep five hours tonight.”

“Come on, let’s eat before he gets up and wants fed.” Jack led me back down stairs where he had things already pulled out for dinner.

“Are you cooking?” I asked, amused by the thought. “This is what you want for dinner?”

“Sounds good to me,”

“Alright then, just listen for Junior.” I told him as I shooed him out of the kitchen. I quietly hummed to myself as I took the stakes out he had marinating and got the vegetables he had set out and put them onto a pan to roast. “Thank god I can eat asparaguses again.”

“Hey babe, your phones ringing!”

“Answer please? I have meat juice on my hands!” I could hear him great whoever was calling while I put the meats on the flat grill top we had inside.

“Em . . .” I heard Jack say quietly. Looking up at him, I frowned to see a distraught look on his face.

“Jack, what is it? Something happen to Kenny?” He just shook his head and came around the island to me and set my phone down on the counter. “Who called?”

“Justin Abdelkader,”

“What’d Abby want?” I asked getting more and more confused. Jack just bit his lip then released a sigh.

“Amy and Val were in a car accident on the way home tonight,” Shaking my head, I felt my legs give out from under me while Jack held me.

“How bad?” I asked, shaking.

“Some guy in a truck ran a red light, T-Boned the passenger—” I let out a strangled breath. “Justin said they’re in the hospital but hasn’t been told anything. Your moms there but he said she was just sitting next to Babs crying.”

“D—Dad?”

“Justin said he’d call him next,”

“No, no, no . . . I—I can’t lose her now Jack,” I felt Jack lift me up and I buried my face in his neck.

“You won’t lose her, I promise.”

-

I laid curled up in my bed, holding Junior against my chest as I watched Jack pace in our bedroom while on the phone with one of the Red Wings. My dad was sitting on the edge of my bed, rubbing my back.

“Alright, thanks Nick, yeah, I’ll call you later, thanks again.”

“What’d he say?” Dad asked quietly. It had been almost three hours since we were first told the news of the accident.

“Good news is neither of them have to stay in the ICU. They said Val just has some bruising and cuts, nothing major.”

“But . . .” I mumbled quietly.

“They said Amy has a concussion, three cracked ribs, her right wrist is fractured, and her right collar bone is broken. They said she was lucky with no internal bleeding or brain damage or swelling in the brain.” He told us while he brushed hair out of my face. I just shook my head and cuddled more into my son, constantly kissing his cheek. “Emmy . . .”

“I need to go out there,” I told them as I sat up and held Junior in my arms.

“Princess, how do you expect to take care of Amy while taking care of a baby?” Dad asked as I sniffed.

“Mom will be there and I know Val will be sore but I just . . . I need to be near her. Something bad happened,”

“We know, they were in the acc—”

“No,” I shook my head, cutting dad off. “Some happened to Amy they aren’t telling us.”

“How do you know?” Jack asked quietly as I gripped onto Junior tighter.

“I just do, I can feel it, something’s just not right.” I mumbled not taking my eyes off of Junior’s big blue eyes. I knew something else was wrong and I knew that I need to be back in Michigan.