Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XLVIII

"Can we change the-"

"No!" I smacked Emily's hand away from my ipod as I drove through the massive amount of
traffic.

"Driver picks the music ,shotgun shuts her cakehole," I said as I turned onto an exit ramp, relieved that there was a lot less traffic.

"Did you seriously just quote Supernatural...?" Emily asked, shaking her head as I grinned at her.

"Damn straight. Where do I turn, left or right?" I asked, pulling up to the road.

"Left," Emily said without even looking out the window.

"So Junior is going to be good at the mall?" I asked and Emily nodded.

"Yeah, he's always interested in loud noises and the colors. That's what happens when you go to hockey games when you're pregnant, the kid likes loud stuff," She said and I laughed. I pulled into the parking lot and we drove around for another ten minutes before we found a spot. We got out and I held Junior while Emily set up his stroller. We tried to put him in it but he wouldn't stop fussing and whining, so I opted to hold him while we wandered around the mall.

"So do you have any idea what you want to buy?" Emily asked as we made our way in the huge mall.

"...no." She turned to look at me with a raised eyebrow and I shrugged. "Val gave me no hints whatsoever as to what he wanted for Christmas this year, he just left me hanging. I'm just kind of hoping something sticks out to me, I guess," I said.

"So we're stuck in a sea of last minute shoppers, as last minute shoppers ourselves. Fun," She deadpanned.

"See that, little guy? That's called sarcasm. Your mommy and I are especially good at that. You probably will be too, seeing as she's raising you."

"Come on, let's just get this over with," Emily said, diving into the sea of people.

-

"What about...I don't know, new shoes?" Emily asked and I rolled my eyes as she let out a sigh.

"Em, he can buy his own clothes."

"Well you can buy some too you know! I dress Jack all the time.."

"I know. And I do..sometimes. But Val seems to understand fashion quite well, and the fact that he looks damn good in grey, so I tend to let him fend for himself," I said, shifting Junior onto my other hip so he wouldn't be able to reach the colorful ties he was reaching for.

"We've been here for a few hours now Amy," Emily told me and I gave her a look.

"I know Em. And I've been holding your kid almost the whole time. Believe me, I know. I just don't know what to get! Blame Val! Not me!" She let out a groan as she pushed off of the wall she was leaning against.

"Can't you just get him a gift after Christmas or something? Put an IOU in a box..."

"How thoughtful," I mused and she shook her head.

"I'm just kind of bored with this. My feet are tired and I want to go home and relax. I got my Christmas shopping done forever ago sis."

"I was trying! Val was just being an ass this year and not giving any hints or anything. I'll go to another mall tomorrow, let's go home," I said, checking my phone to see that we had been gone around four hours.

"Thank you," She said with a sigh. "Do you want me to carry Junior?"

"No, that's fine, I've got him. You're tired. Let's just get out of here." She nodded and led the way out of the mall.

-

We pulled up in front of the huge house Emily and Jack lived in and I turned the car off. Emily jumped out, stretching her arms above her head for a minute. She started walking to the trunk of the car and I hopped out.

"Don't worry about the stroller or Junior, I'll get them."

"You sure?" She asked, a confused look on her face.

"Yeah, just get inside, go relax. I'll handle him for the rest of the night."

"Who are you and what did you do with my sister?" She asked slowly and I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up and go inside," I said as I opened the door to grab Junior out of back. I heard the front door open and close as I pulled Junior out of his seat, much to his pleasure. "I hope you enjoyed the mall more than your mom did, little guy. Cause you know what? I've had your uncle Val's present for almost a month now."