Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

LXXII

"Hey babe," Val answered my phone call as I left the doctors office.

"Hey. I'm just leaving the doctors," I told him as I made my way to my car.

"Yeah? How'd it go?" He sounded excited and I couldn't help but smile at it.

"Well, I am for sure pregnant. It went good. I'm around 7 weeks. Due in July."

"Good timing."

"What do you mean?" I asked as I got in the car, turing it on.

"I won't miss birthdays because of games," He said happily and I grinned.

"Good point."

"Whose birthday won't you miss? What? No one, go away Justin. Tell me! Get out of here! Is that Amy? I wanna talk to her!" I heard rustling on the phone as I laughed at them both before a voice on the other end of the line. "Who are you and Val talking about?!"

"Abby, what did you do to Val?" I asked, hearing the sound of running feet.

"Nothing..."

"Justin where is my husband?!"

"...where I left him...on the ground."

"You two fell over fighting for the phone?!" I gasped, trying not to let my laughter spill out.

"He was being a jerk and not giving me the phone.."

"Justin...it's his phone..."

"And I'm your best friend. Anyway, what were you two talking about?"

"None of your business," I said and heard him groan loudly.

"Come on Amy!" He whinned and I giggled.

"You'll find out eventually Abby, just not right now."

"Give me back my phone, Abdelkader!" I heard another struggle with the phone, this time, much shorter. "Hey...sorry about that.. Your best friend is kind of an idiot sometimes."

"I can tell," I laughed, picturing the face Abby was making at Val.

"Did you tell him?"

"No, not yet."

"HA HA! You still don't know!"

"How mature," I said, rolling my eyes as I laughed again at their antics.

"Hey, he deserves it for knocking me down and stealing my phone. I'm pretty sure my shirt is torn now... But anyway, you want to talk about it more when we get home?"

"Yeah, alright."

"Okay, I think we're leaving for the airport soon, so I'll see you when I get back. Love you.."

"Love you too! See you then." I hung up the phone and set it in the cup holder before leaning back in my seat. Suddenly, this was so much more real. And I felt the excitement bubbling up inside me.

-

"So it's official?" Emily asked as I laid down on the couch with the phone to my ear.

"It's official. Due date is some time in July," I said.

"Yay!" She squealed with excitement. "Oh man, I'm so excited. Now I don't have to keep bugging you and Val. Junior's going to have someone to play with! This is exciting!"

"As if he didn't have someone to play with before," I said rolling my eyes.

"Shush. What do you think you'll have, a girl or a boy?"

"I don't know Em, I'm not that far along yet," I said with a chuckle and she huffed.

"I meant like, which would you prefer? Boy or a girl? I'm happy we had Junior first. If we ever have a girl, and Jack doesn't intimidate the boys she dates out of hurting her, she can just have Junior kick their asses." I let out a loud laugh, causing Harley to wake up. She got up from her dog bed to come lay down next to me, her head near my hand. I scratched her behind the ears as I continuted to talk on the phone.

"That doesn't surprise me at all. He's going to be just like JJ. Huge hockey player that scares people... I don't know. I wouldn't be disappointed if we had a girl first, cause Junior would be forced to look out for her too. But a boy would be nice too..."

"So you don't really care?"

"No, not really."

"What about Val? Has he said what he wants it to be?"

"No, but you know how guys are. They always want boys to do boy things with. God knows Val and the rest of the guys are going to want to teach him hockey if it's a boy."

"Oh yeah."

"I can see Bert and Abby teaching him to fight. God knows Val never does," I said with a roll of my eyes.

"I always found that kinda funny. Your love for hockey fights and you ended up with Val. The guy who fights the least on your team."

"Yes, because that's what I was looking for while looking for a boyfriend. Oh you play hockey? You don't fight? Oh this just won't work." Emily let out a laugh and I shook my head. "I'd pick Val over a fighter any day."

"Well I'd hope so! You're married to the Finnish wonder forever!"

"I know. And I wouldn't have it any other way," I said as Val walked in the door. I looked over to see him setting his things down.

"Wouldn't have what any other way?"

"Being maried to you forever," I said and he stuck his tongue out at me as he took his jacket off and hung it up. "Don't stick your tongue out at me, that's what we're actually talking about!"

"Oh yeah?" He asked, walking over to the couch. He lifted my feet up so he could sit down, then set them on his lap, rubbing my feet as he leaned into the couch. "Is that Emily?"

"Yup. To both questions."

"I'll let you go, Junior's hungry. I'll talk to you later. Probably tomorrow."

"Alright, talk to you then. Love ya."