Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

LXXVIII

Emily and I screamed with delight as we watched Val score his second goal of the game. We were still up and cheering by the time the guys had skated back to the bench, causing most of them to chuckle or shake their heads at us. Val threw us a wink before taking his spot on the bench.

"All he needs now is a fight and he'll have a Gordie Howe," Emily commented and I laughed.

"As much as I love Gordie Howe hat tricks, I don't see that happening, especially when he's this happy," I said, looking over at him.

"Eh, you never know," Emily said with a shrug.

On their next shift, I watched Val almost score another goal. The Blackhawks goalie just barely getting his stick on the puck enough to deflect it out of harms way. As Val raced for the puck, my eyes flased to Hank for a second, just in time to see Kane rush him after replacing Toews on the ice. I starred in disbelief as he managed to elbow Hank in the head.

Instantly, Emily and I were on our feet screaming as the refs stopped the play to see if Hank was alright. Val was the closest one to them and he rushed over, pushing Kane the second he was close enough. I felt my stomach drop when I realized what was coming next.

Kane pushed back and the next thing I knew, him and Val had both dropped their gloves after exchanging a few words, facing each other for a fight. I grabbed Emily's hand and squeezed it, not sure how it would end up. I watched as Kane said something, followed by a smug look on his face.

"Kick his ass Val," I muttered and the second those words left my mouth Val's fist connected with Kane's jaw. They latched onto each others jerseys, both trying to force the other player in the direction that would be more favorable.

Val twisted around before latching onto Kane's helmet, ripping it off his head before landing a few solid punches to his head and face before Kane writhed away, getting in a few good hits of his own, causing my grip to tighten on Emily's hand.

Val managed to get the upper hand again for a few more good hits, one looking like it could have possibly broken something before Kane tripped up, sending them both tumbling to the ice. The entire arena was errupting in cheers as Val pushed Kane away from him and stood up, glacing around to see if Hank was still on the ice.

"Amy...your husband just got a Gordie Howe hat trick..." Emily trailed off and I watched with wide eyes as Val shook his head slightly before getting in the penalty box. Junior started babbling from his spot on Emily's lap when he looked up at the jumbotron and saw Val sitting in the penalty box.

"He did....Holy shit he did! I haven't ever seen him fight..."

"He needs to fight more. He totally won that one. Look at Kane's face."

"Oh he totally won. But...holy shit!" I exclaimed and Emily laughed.

"So you're almost positive he's not hurt so now you can enjoy it?"

"I'm going to have to look this up on youtube later and watch it!" I exclaimed and Emily barked a laugh.

-

"Where'd you go? I got creeped out cause no one was home when I woke up," Emily said as I walked into the kitchen, setting my purse and keys on the counter, watching as she fed Junior in his high chair. He smiled upon seeing me, causing a grin to break out on my face.

"I had a doctors appointment," I told her, watching as Junior tried to grab the spoon from her hand.

"For what?"

"Check up on the baby," I said, making my way to the fridge for a drink, glancing at the time.

"It's around the time where you can figure out what the sex is, or are you guys going to wait to find out?" She asked, turning to look at me for a second before returning her attention to Junior.

"No, we're not waiting. I wouldn't be able to do that, too curious."

"That's what your appointment was for today, wasn't it?" She asked as she wiped off Juniors face, beginning to clear the table off as I took him from her.

"Yup," I said, bouncing Junior on my hip.

"Well?" She looked at me when I didn't answer right away, eyebrows raised. "Why aren't you telling me?"

"...I promised Val he'd be first to know," I answered and she narrowed her eyes at me.

"You knew before Jack."

"Yeah but that was his choice... You'll be first to know after Val," I told her and she huffed.

"You're probably going to have him tell the whole team before me so I won't be second," She said, crossing her arms over her chest as she pouted.

"Oh, quit being a baby Emily," I said, rolling my eyes at her reaction. "It's not like you have to wait forever. He's going to be home soon."

"I still think I should know first, I mean I am your twin after all.."

"Well in that case, why don't you know already?" I asked cocking an eyebrow at her as she tilted her head at the question. She looked hard at me for a few seconds before shrugging.

"You're having a boy," She told me and I raised my eyebrows, a smirk on my face.

"What makes you think that?" I asked and she shrugged again.

"Just getting that feeling," She said, offhandedly as we heard the front door open. Standing in the kitchen together, we waited for Val. I knew Emily wanted me to just come out and say what the baby was going to be so she would know too.

"What are you doing here Commie?" I asked as Mike walked in the kitchen behind Val.

"Oh, hello to you too," He said, rolling his eyes as he pulled me into a hug. "Car broke down, Val offered me a ride after the tow truck came."

"You need to go, Amy has to talk to Val," Emily said, pushing me away from Mike, a confused look washing over his face as I was pushed into Val, who chuckled at Emily as he wrapped his arms around me securely, smiling down at me.

"Ew, relationship..." Mike muttered and I barked a laugh.

"Shut up Mike," I said, throwing him a look before Val kissed me softly.

"Well?" Val asked, looking at me expectantly, already knowing what I had to tell him. I bit my lip to stop the grin from breaking out onto my face as I leaned up to his ear to whisper in his ear, telling him the sex of the baby.

"Oh come on!" Emily whined as I watched a grin spread across Val's face.

"Really?" He asked and I nodded excitedly. His only response was hugging me tighter and kissing me again.

"What did she even tell him?" I heard Mike ask Emily, his curiosity getting the better of him.

"The sex of their baby," Emily said, and I turned to see she was still pouting and Mike had just cocked an eyebrow at the attitude she had.

"She's mad she wasn't the first to know," I told him and he laughed.

"He's kind of her baby daddy, he has a right to know first," He pointed out and Emily shook her head no.

"No, she knew Junior was going to be a boy before Jack knew," Emily told him and he just shook his head at her.

"So would you get mad if I just announced we're having a boy or would you be fine with it?" I asked and waited a few seconds for Emily's eyes to light up at the news.

"I told you!" She exclaimed, bouncing up and down. "Oh this is awesome! Him and Junior can play hockey together when they're older and everything!"

"What do you mean you told her?" Val asked, loosening his tie enough to remove it as he shot Emily a questioning looking, throwing the tie at her.

"I told her you guys were having a boy, I called it!"

"Well seeing as there was only one other option, it's not that surprising," Mike pointed out and I laughed as Emily shot him a look.

"Shut up ging," She said and I shook my head at them.

"Do you want a ride home Mike?" I asked, watching as Val made his way to our room to change out of the suit he had on.

"If you don't mind," He said and I shook my head.

"No, it's fine. Val I'm taking Commie home!" I called out before looking at Emily. "You staying here?"

"Yeah, Junior's been fussy all day, I don't think he'd want to ride in the car."

"Okay, I'll be back in a bit."

"Hurry home, we have to discuss names for the baby!"