Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

VII

My heels echoed through the enter way of my dad’s home; Chester was following right behind me.

“Papi!” I hollered out not seeing him in the kitchen or living room. Glancing out into his large back yard I rolled my eyes when all I saw was his current girlfriend sunbathing. I huffed not wanting to deal with her, I pulled open the back door to get her attention. Noticing she had her headphones in I walked over and pulled one out of her ear.

“Ow . . . oh it’s you,”

“Yeah Tasha it’s me.” She just rolled her eyes and looked me over. “Where’s my dad?”

“In his office or something, he works too much.”

“Yeah he has to so he can pay for your fake tits.” I told her as I walked back into the house. Dad had started dating off and on over the past couple years. She by far was the worse; she keeps trying to act like she’s twenty one when she’s thirty two. I walked down the hallway to his home office and pushed opened the door, not caring he was on the phone. Chester bolted in and ran right to my dad. I sat down in the chair across from him waiting for his call to end.

“Yes that’s fine, alright well I have to go my daughters sitting here giving me the stare . . . yeah that one,” He finally hung up the phone and looked over at me. “Em, what a surprise to see—”

“Did you know Amy was dating some hockey player?” I questioned. He just raised his eyebrows at me.

“Uh no I did not, your mother didn’t mention anything to you?”

“No, do you think I’d be surprised seeing her hanging out with some Red Wing?” I asked leaning forward my voice going slightly up.

“Well . . . at least it isn’t a Penguin or a Duck right?” Dad said with a laugh. I glared him while crossing my arms over my chest. “Baby girl, look, I know you two haven’t spoken really in a long time—”

“I know but—” He held his hand up cutting me off.

“Just listen,” I nodded letting him finish. “I know Jack and you are going to Michigan for Christmas Eve and come back early on the twenty sixth but, and this is a suggestion, spend Christmas dinner with your ma.” I leaned back letting out a sigh. “Don’t be stubborn, I can grantee your sister has already talked with your mom about seeing you.”

“Christmas?” I asked running my hands through my hair. “He plays the Oilers at home on the twenty third, then the Ducks on the twenty sixth . . .”

“You can’t make up an excuse hun, you can spend Christmas eve and morning with Jack’s family like you planned.”

“Alright Papi, I guess I’ll go call mom.” I told him standing up. “Come Chester let’s go home and catch the game.” My dad came over and kissed the side of my head.

“See you later princess,”

“Bye dad, oh and I still don’t like her.” He gave me a pointed look as we walked to the front door. “I’ll talk to you later.”

-

I sighed pulling my cell phone knowing I needed to call Jack and talk to him about my dad had suggested. I set my phone on the counter holding off on calling him so I decided to feed Chester his puppy food.

“Come here Chester,” Our quickly growing little Boarder Terrier mix. “Sit,” I set the bowl down in front of him and told him it was okay. “Well, looks like I can’t put calling Jack huh?” Grabbing my cell phone I went into our small living room and fell on the couch.

“Hey babe,” Jack greeted and a smile slipped across my face.

“Hey, how was skating this morning?” I asked turning the TV on and finding the channel the game was going to be on.

“It was fine, how did work go?”

“Fine, we had to time how long it’d take to cool down the Staples Center enough so we can put the ice in. So it should be fine after the Clippers game,” I rambled on.

“Okay what are you avoiding?” I leaned my head back and groaned. “I know you too well Ems . . .”

“I know and I hate you for it,” All I heard was him laughing and telling the guys what I said. “So . . .”

“Spit it out,”

“Okay well I was talking to dad earlier today and he suggested something,” I paused biting lip.

“Em this is like pulling teeth,”

“Ugh I know okay! Okay he said since we’ll be in Michigan for Christmas we should go to my mom’s house that night for dinner and from there we can go to the airport.” I said quickly earning a laugh from him.

“Is that it? Dinner with your mom?” I sighed knowing he was fine with it. “You know I’ve been wanting to meet her and this will be great. I’ll just call and let my mom know.”

“But what about your family?”

“We’re going to be spending Christmas Eve and morning with them, Kenny will be happy seeing us for that amount of time.” I mumbled an okay. “Okay well I’ve got to go warm up, I’ll call you after the game.”

“Okay, love you, play rough.” He gave me a chuckle and told me he loved me too then hung up. I sucked in my bottom lip as Chester jumped onto the couch next to me. I scratched his head and searched for my mother’s house number.

“Hello?”

“Hey ma, um so Jack and I are coming for Christmas.”