Roses and Flytraps

Roses and Flytraps

Every object in the room was coated in a thick layer of dust, each particle exuding a powerful scent similar to a bouquet of roses, though much more powerful. The entire room was drowning in the odour, each person spluttering helplessly upon first entrance - until something else distracted every cell in their body; something with its own deadly siren call.
The redhead in the centre of the room hadn't taken her eyes from the doorway since she had taken up the position long over an hour before, trying to appear casual for as long as possible. She was patient, more patient than any the city had seen before, especially not from the super villain reputation that this particular woman had built for herself over the past couple of years. But her patience was well needed - everything she had planned hinged upon this patience. She knew that the moment she started biting her lip or tapping her feet the person she had been waiting for would appear and her entire calm and collected facade would be blown into a thousand pieces.
And Poison Ivy rested her pride upon that facade.
Her impatience was dying to seep through her defences, working its way to every possible crack in her armour - cracks that sealed almost as soon as they had appeared. It was a battle she knew she would lose at some point, and if he never showed up then it was a futile battle, but he would show. They always showed.
Her heart throbbed as the door opened, thinking just like every other time that this would be him. The tiny dredges of doubt left her for the same fraction of a second as ever. For that tiny fraction of a second, she felt hope, then she took back control and quenched all emotion.
The dark red and black suit of Batman's sidekick finally stepped into the room.
His face was hard and determined. He was always angry when he started out his journey to her. His expression faltered only seconds after his entrance, the pink mist hanging in the room finally seeping up his nostrils and befuddling him as it had everyone else and she knew her siren call had been sung to him - that it would carry on singing to him forever, as long as she was around.
His eyelids slid shut slowly, the content smile of a man in love crossing his face and replacing the anger. It was a look Poison Ivy had seen on his face before; his was the only face she craved to see that expression on every day. She (among others) would claim she was in love with the Dark Knight’s sidekick, but anyone with so much as a slight notion of her true mental state knew that her plants were her only love, and the repeated seduction of Robin was nothing more or less than her obsession.
The few who knew this were onto her weakness - onto a way to bring her down. A trick she was too blind to see coming.
Robin's boot clad feet stepped in a slow rhythm across the mossy floor his smile never faltering in much the same way as her victorious expression never even flickered. She solved the puzzle and he was her prize.
Her eyes were so fixed upon the young sidekick that she didn't see the loophole; the exploited flaw in the situation. Her plan was so precariously balanced that even the slightest shift would send it crashing to the floor. Had she been paying attention to the men scrambling around on the floor surrounding Robin and herself she would have been able to stop it; to keep her plan balanced, but it was too late now. Her master plan was failing.
His eyes refused to leave hers, and hers refused to leave his. The game of patience rewarded its winner well by delivering her the object of her desire, but the cruel twist of fate had already began the trick that would destroy her prize.
Until the shadow passed over her face, she hadn't a single clue of the treachery that had already began before Robin had even stepped into the room. It was far too late by the time she saw the Dark Knight's silhouette through the glass roof; by the time the shards of glass fell through the pink mist.
A wail of despair and anger ripped from Poison Ivy's throat, the truth of her nature finally exploding through the cracks that had been threatening her facade for so long now.
"Robin, save me!" the redhead pleaded, throwing her final hope in the man she had seduced, while her gas-masked approached her. Hope flickered through her veins as Robin turned toward Batman, only to be lost as he stepped aside to allow the caped crusader to pass, removing something she couldn't see from his nostrils while he walked away.
"Give it up, Pamela - there's nowhere to run anymore. If you come peacefully, maybe we can find you a cell near to Harleen's." Her scream didn't subside. She couldn't find it in herself to do anything at that moment. The moment in which her plan had failed so completely. All she could do was scream the entire way to Arkham Asylum, scream as loud as possible while the Dark Knight sped her back to imprisonment.
It wasn't until the early hours of the next morning when she was able to wake from her medicated sleep without screaming.
And that was when Poison Ivy began to plot afresh.