"You Lose"

1/1

There was a peaceful silence. A light breeze traveled through the trees and the air was the right amount of cold. A distant sound of trickling water broke the soft quiet. The red and yellow leaves on the ground stirred slightly as the air blew through them. There was a dull light, the sun not yet breaking through the clouds that threatened rain.
Crunch.
It was the first step she took, although it wasn’t really a step. It was more of a leap.
Crunch.
Her heart pounded much faster than her legs moved. Her heartbeat seemed louder than her breathing; her eyes wilder than the man behind her.
Crunch, crunch, crunch.
She had to run faster. She couldn’t let him catch her. She wouldn’t–
Thud.
Her eyes stung. It was over.
From the ground, she heard his laboured breaths, his footsteps getting louder and louder. Underneath his harsh breathing, she heard chuckling. The cruel sound that would unfortunately be the last thing she would hear. Quiet laughter as he picked up a large stone nearby. A crunch as he stood on her shoulders, a shrill scream from her as he lifted up a stone the size of her head. His laughter growing louder and louder. Her shrieks soon silenced, but still ringing in his ears.
And then a thud and a squish as his eyes widened and hers shut tight, and remained closed.
Crunch.
He kneeled and moved her hair from her bloodstained forehead. He leaned down to bury his nose in the smell. A small smile on his lips as he whispered two words to her. Two words she would never hear.