Status: Done updating, the sequel is still going, though.

They'll Never Take My Heart

Cajun

It had been a week since the attack. It’s terribly boring here now, with all the limits that we have. I’m surprised they don’t have cameras watching our every move. I heard some music coming from the other room...

“Gravity don’t mean too much to me. Is this our destiny? This world is after me, after you.” It was like he was singing to a dead relative. I drifted off into my dreams. There were draculoids everywhere, but they were frozen. I reached for my katana, but it wasn’t there. I looked around, we were in the desert, near the sign signaling the end of zone 6. Around zone 6, the only thing there was was a barren landscape of radiation and the still-raging fires of 2012. No one came this far out. It was just a really weird dream... I woke up to the smell of burning Power Pup. Looks like Fun was trying to cook again.

“Hey.” I said. He jumped up, startled by my sudden presence.

“Hi.” He said.

“Busy burning the Power Pup?” I asked.

“I’m not burning it, it’s Cajun.” He said with a smile. We both laughed. Adrenaline came out of our room.

“Hey guys.”

“How’s the shoulder feeling?” Fun asked her. It’d been healing nicely.

“Adrenaline’s shoulder feels fine, thank you.” We all nodded. The rest of the gang came stumbling out of their rooms.

“So, are we done with the ‘grounded’ thing yet?” I asked. “It’s getting really boring.”

“Nope.” Replied Poison. “You’ve got all of today. Tomorrow, your free.”

“Yay!” I shouted. It really sucked having to go to bed at 10pm.

“I’m leaving the bars on the windows. The alarm is staying too.”

“Fair enough.” I said. Just then, another killjoy came in. She was wearing a pink shirt, and had a headset.

“Hi.” She said happily. She high fived Adrenaline and I on her way to Dr. D’s recording room. It was amazing, really. A week ago today, people started recognizing us. We were the ones who broke into BL/ind*. We were the ones who sent their leader into hiding. We were the ones who had made something that everybody wanted happen. We were heroes, and we’d been killjoys for less than 2 weeks. 10 days, to be exact. It was awesome to say least. We were like killjoy celebrities. I was liking it. Party Poison had eventually forgiven us for stealing his car. After all, we hadn’t gotten a scratch on it. Some draculoid blood, maybe, but not a scratch. Life was the best it had ever been.

“So... hows it going...” said Jet after almost half an hour of silence. It was awkward, really. We almost never talked anymore, and when we did it was just.... bad.

“Good.” We all replied. We all kind of stared at each other.

“Who wants to kill some dracs?” Kobra said.

“Me!” We responded simultaneously.

“Can I dri-”

“No!” Poison cut me off. “Not after what happened last time.”

“What last time?”

“The time you drove into Battery City, almost getting yourself and everyone else in the room killed.”

“Oh... that last time...”

“I call shotgun!” Said Fun, running towards the Trans Am.

“No fair! You always get it!” called Jet Star, chasing after him. They ran around the car a few times, but then got tired. We all got in the car, Poison and Fun in the front, and all the rest in the back.

“Hey, you know what’s kind of weird?” I asked.

“The fact that we’re all 30-something year old men with two teenage girls that drive around shooting guys in vampire masks in the middle of the desert?” answered Kobra.

“HEY! I’M STILL 29!” called Fun from the front seat.

“No,” I replied. “The fact that you know mine and Adrenaline’s real names, but we don’t know yours. That ain’t fair.”

“Fine.” said Poison. “My name’s Gerard. Fun Ghoul is Frank. Kobra Kid is Mikey. Jet Star is Ray. Happy?”

“Yes, very.”