Status: Done updating, the sequel is still going, though.

They'll Never Take My Heart

Korse

I saw it approaching. It was big, but not like “truck” big. It was “tour bus” big. There could have been up to 80 in there. Eighty vs. Eight? Not very good odds. We’re totally screwed if I’m right. I hope I’m way, way, way, off.

“Adrenaline, get your grenades. Get a stick of dynamite too. I have a plan.” I said nervously. I’m usually the calm one, but this, this had me about as nervous as an ant at a picnic.

“How many grenades do you have?” I asked. She counted them.

“17.” She said.

“Good. Everyone gets two. Save the last one. Wait until they get close.” They all nodded. I love how 6 grown men listen to a 14 year old girl. The truck went forward and stopped about 40 feet from us.

“Hide the grenades behind your back.” I whispered. The first scarecrow came out. Another followed, then another, then another. They kept pouring out of the huge vehicle. Finally it stopped. they stood in five lines, about 10 in each row. Fifty. We might not get out alive. They walked toward us, guns raised and ready to fire.

“Hold it.” I whispered. They were 35 feet away now.

“Hold it.” 30 feet.

“Hold it.” 25 feet.

“NOW!” We pulled the pins out and threw them grenades directly at them. They pulled their triggers, rayguns aimed directly at our heads.

“DUCK!” Poison yelled. We all did, the only damage the lasers did to us was to singe the top of Jet’s ‘fro. I looked up to see the damage we had done. Not bad. Out of the fifty, there were 20 left standing. We might live through this after all. There was a pause as some of the scarecrows looked at us. I wondered what their facial expressions were. Stupid masks. I unsheathed my katana. It was freshly sharpened and thirsty for the blood of the enemy. Raygun in one hand, katana in the other, I signaled to Adrenaline. She had her leftover grenade and raygun ready to fire. She fired the first shot. I charged at an enemy and skewered the thing that was formerly a person before BLI got ahold of it. Now it was just that. It. Nothing more. Slash, slash, stab, shoot, stab. Three more dead. I felt a raygun bullet go into my knee. The heat of the moment made me forget the pain. I saw Adrenaline taking on two at once. Both of them were dead within a minuet. Awesome. Poison and Kobra were back to back, shooting madly at any scarecrow that had the misfortune to be seen by them. Fun was weaving in and out between the scarecrows to help out Dr. D, who was surrounded by 5 of them. jet and Show were helping each other out. We were winning, by the looks of it. I saw kobra fall to the ground, a wound in his side. Jet went over to see what happened, but fell to the ground, a bloody hole close to where his heart was. Killjoys were dropping like flies for no apparent reason. That is, until I turned around. Korse.

He smiled. there was only one remaining scarecrow, but Adrenaline finished him off quickly and ran over to me.

“Adrenaline thinks this could be a problem.” She said. I nodded as Korse walked over to us. “Hello 1370492. Hello 1370517. You have had your fun playing rebel. Time to come home now, you need your pills.” He said, aiming his raygun at us.

“Over my dead body.” I yelled back.

“Very well. That can be arranged.” He said. He pointed his raygun at my head and almost pulled the trigger. Almost. Remember that extra grenade from before? Yeah. Adrenaline made Korse go boom. It was quite interesting to watch, really. He must’ve shot up 5 feet in the air. His ruffles caught on fire, as well. But, you never underestimate a man who could take two shots, one to the head, and one to the heart, and live. Korse landed on his feet directly behind me. I tackled him, sending his gun flying. Adrenaline came up behind me.

“So, do you have anything to say before we ghost you?” Korse was silent. I tightened the grip on my raygun. It was aimed at his head. BOOM. His eyes were closed. His head was on the ground. His breathing was shallow. I ran to get my katana and I heard Adrenaline shoot at Korse’s body several times. “I’m not taking any chances this time.” I whispered. I stabbed my katana through the left side of Korse’s chest. Right through his heart. I heard wheels in the distance, but when I looked, they weren’t BLI operatives. They were killjoy cars. Help was finally coming. I turned my attention to the guys. Poison was the only one still conscious. He looked at us and smiled before passing out. We won... for now.

It was two days since our big fight. Kobra was recovering well, but walking still hurt him a lot. Jet was really lucky. The laser had just missed any vital organs. Poison and Fun were the unlucky ones, apparently. They were shot twice each. Poison is the hand and arm, Fun in the leg and arm. They were the fastest to recover, though because they weren’t shot in any area that might have been fatal. Adrenaline and I were doing fine. Fun and I both had makeshift crutches for our injuries. Sometimes we sat down and had a sword fight with them. All in all, everyone was doing fine. I turned on the TV to see what BL/ind* was saying about their missing co-leader.

“... in other news, BLI officials are still waiting for scarecrow unit leader, Korse, to come back from his latest mission. He was sent to fight a group of the most wanted rebels in all of the zones with 50 scarecrow operatives nearly two days ago. Neither he, nor the operatives have been sighted since they left Battery City. Officials are not fearing his death, however. Korse is virtually impossible to kill and has survived many attacks beforehand. This has been Fact News, the only news.” I laughed. Korse’s body was rotting outside, across the street from the DIE-ner at the very moment. Stupid BLI. I casually glanced out the window. Korse’s body was directly under where he was killed. I didn’t want to take any chances. Not this time. Adrenaline walked over and sat by me, her arm bandaged where a laser had grazed her skin.

“Hey,” I said. “What’s up?”