Status: Done updating, the sequel is still going, though.

They'll Never Take My Heart

Bug

The sight of a lifeless body still creeped me out, but Poison said that after so many close calls, it was best that we’re sure he’s dead. Evans was gone, Poison killed him as soon as he admitted to trying to kidnap Silver and I. It felt so nice to have people you know you could depend on. I’d finally gotten around to starting that book of poetry I was wanted for, too. Most of it was pretty bad, but I was getting somewhere, at least.

“I think this is long enough, Poison.” Kobra declared one night at dinner. This time, Fun was under the impression that Jet had cooked. It was a good thing, because he wasn’t going to attempt to throw Jet Star into the air.

“BL/ind* probably thinks we’ll keep moving farther from the DIE-ner now that we killed Evans. They’d never expect us to go back.”

“I guess you’re right. We’ll crash here for maybe… a day more, then we’ll go back.”

“Shhh! Dr. D’s on right now…” Silver hissed, tuning our radio to one of the only clean frequencies left.

“Alright children,” His voice crackled through the speakers. “the lights are out, and the party’s over. It’s time for me: Dr. D to start running and say goodbye for a little while,”

“Who’s he running from?” I asked, but was motioned to be quiet.

“And I know you’re gonna miss me, so I’ll leave you with this. You know that big ball of radiation we call the sun? Well, it’ll burst you into flames if you stay in one place for too long. That is… if the static don’t get you first. So remember, even if you’re dusted, you may be gone, but out here in the desert your shadow lives on without you. This is Dr. Death Defying, signing off.” The frequency cut to the star spangled banner then.

“Adrenaline knows it’s kind of silly, but what’s the static?” I asked.The guys all looked a bit confused.

“Well, uh, you know, I think it’s time you and Silver went to bed. We’ll have target practice tomorrow and um, go on another Wal-Mart raid!” Jet Star exclaimed, pushing Silver and I back in the direction of our rooms. I blinked. Was the static bad? Or did they just not know…?

“Time to leave our mark on this place, then…” Silver whispered as we snuck back out of rooms, spray paint in hand. We had no curfews, but we had to listen to the all-knowing killjoy leaders or else we had our mission privileges taken away for the day. The guys tried hard to re-raise us right, so I couldn’t really blame them. I just wish they’d accept the fact that we’re both rebellious, and on top of that, TEENAGERS of all the ages out there. We’re not always going to listen… but for their sake, when we don’t, we don’t get caught. Actually… that was probably for our sake.. As far as they know, we’re still in bed, dreaming our little flying-robots-take-over-the-world-and-they-wear-tuxedos dreams.

“Shit, I’m too short for this… Adrenaline, give me a boost up so I can give us hair…” She was drawing her own version of my picture, but instead of us being at the diner, we were just staring, smiling back at us from the brick wall. Sighing, I got on all fours and let her step on my back. It was a good system, she could reach and I didn’t really have to do much.

“Ow! Something just bit Adrenaline!” I cried, grabbing my hand, unfortunately dropping Silver off of me.

“Oh crap… it’s another fly…” Silver mumbled. “We’ve gotta get out of here, they’ll be here any minute…” She dragged me back into the motel and began yelling for everyone to wake up.

“They’re onto us again, so we have to go, NOW.”