Status: Done updating, the sequel is still going, though.

They'll Never Take My Heart

Desert

Seeing Killer and Silver together was really a sweet sight compared to everything else in the desert. I honestly don’t know how she just keeps running. But now no one was running. Everyone was sleeping. Well, mostly. Candy Gasoline and Lithium Angel, under the impression that everyone else was sleeping, were trying to suck each other’s faces off.
‘Kissing’s nasty.’ I decided, turning over to face the huge stretch of sand in front of me. You see it all over the place (not so much anymore, with all the ‘happy’ drones out there, but still) and it’s just two people smushing their faces together. Ick.
“You really should be sleeping.” Revenge Trigger said, propping himself up on his elbows.
“How do you know that I’m not? Maybe I sleep with my eyes open. And are you really one to say anything?” Revenge was only a little older than Silver and I, if I had to guess, so he was still a bit younger than Killer. Brown hair, no mask. In its place was a pair of goggles. I liked him already.
“And you talk in your sleep too?” He smirked.
“Bingo.”
“You sound different than when I first woke up.”
“What do you mean? Adrenaline doesn’t change much.”
“More… serious.” He replied.
“I’m tired. So what’s your story?” I asked. “I just need something to get my mind off of Candy and Angel making out.”
“’I’ve ran with Angel, Candy and Blood for as long as I can remember. My parents were corrected early on, so they basically took me in. I like sunsets, long walks through the desert, and I have no clue in all the seven hells what my sign is. So who are you? We had to start running before I even got your name. Any of your names, actually.”
“Adrenaline Frequency. I like junk food and notebooks. Started out as a lab rat. Silver Electric over there exploded the base and she just got reunited with her brother, Noise Killer, not too long ago. The first thing I said to Jet Star was that he had fluffy hair, and I’ve been kidnapped, drugged, knocked out, operated on, and shoved into a trans am. Not necessarily in that order, but there are very few things that actually scare me anymore.”
“Not spiders?”
“Love em.”
“Snakes?”
‘Bring it on, Trigger boy.”
“The dark?”
“Not since I was 4.”
“Guns?”
“Please, I’ve probably been shot more times than you’ve kissed anyone.” ….That came out kind of awkward, but he just laughed.
“Then you must look like a walking piece of Swiss cheese under all those layers.” Candy and Angel finally stopped, probably to refill on air, so then it was just me and Revenge up. We sat in silence for a moment before I broke the silence.
“I’ve got a can of spray paint on me,”
“How? You’re in a BLI uniform-”
“Don’t question me. Anyway, if you’re okay with it being gone by the time we have to leave, we can make some sand art.”
“Yeah, the wind would blow it all across the desert… but it sounds fun.”
“Cool. Now turn around.”
“Why?”
“So I can get my spray paint. Just do it, Trigger.”
“Fine, fine. But you have to tell me where you managed to hide it.”
“Ace bandages. My stomach was already wrapped because of an injury, and I was hoping to personalize whatever place BLI stuck us in.”
“Ah. You guys were really brave for going up against them for killjoys you’ve never even met.” He said and I handed him the can.
“To be honest… I didn’t volunteer entirely. We were talking about who to send, and Party Poison lost it a little bit. He just kind of said all three of us should go, even though we were only planning on sending one. It wasn’t even what he said, really. All that was logical. Safety in numbers, the way I see it. But the way that he said it… if you heard it, it would be easier to explain.” I explained. He just told us to all go. I know he thought it was what was best, but the way he talked about any of us dying in the process….
“I’m sure he cared. You’re three amazing killjoys and any team would be lucky to have you.”
“Thanks, dude. But I don’t always feel that needed. Our team’s 7 major fighters, a radio pirate, and a zone runner. I use explosives, mainly, but that’s not always possible in a fight. Sometimes I feel like starting my own underground lab, you know? Build explosives and distribute them to ALL the teams out there. Run something like a killjoy pharmacy.”
“So why don’t you? I’ve thought about running away so many times to just start over, let Candy and Angel have time to themselves. We could do it together. Blood’s already packed back at our base. He’s the best medic I’ve seen so far.” He said suddenly, dropping the can from drawing some sort of flying bug and grabbing my hand. Okay, this is getting a bit close for comfort
“Um, no. I love my family, there all I’ve got out here. I need them, and I like to think that they need me too.” I replied, trying to take back my hand but Revenge held it tighter. This wasn’t good.
“You said Party Poison didn’t care that much, what if none of them do? They can’t appreciate what you want like I do, because we’re the same, Adrenaline. I know a place, right off Route Guano. Used to be a super market or something. Found it on a raid. But there’s the back room that leads down into a cellar, and that thing is huge. Tunnels, too. Escape routes to what’s left of the old cities. We could get more people like us and connect the tunnels, and have our own routes. This could be huge!”
“Revenge, you seem like an awesome guy, but Adrenaline needs you to let go of her. Maybe I don’t always feel so needed, but I’m not running away with you. I just met you.”
“Come on, Adrenaline. Just think of the name you could make for yourself. I can’t do this by myself. If you keep saying no, I might have to-”
“Would you keep it down, already!” Blood groaned. He was probably 19 or 20. Blonde hair. Black bandit mask. Huge muscles.
“Blood, she’s like us. She knows how to make explosives.” I don’t know what they’re planning, or what I got myself into, but this can’t be good.
♠ ♠ ♠
It seems I've updated twice today. Can you love me now?