Status: Finito.

Secret Admiring

I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW WHO I AM

Image

"Ryan, I think I love you."

"I think, Ryan, that I'm falling for you and I didn't mean for it to happen."

"I like you a lot, Ryan."

"Fine, go. Run off with her and forget about the person who cared about you and loved you since the first moment you two met-- me."

I paced the empty locker room. It was the end of the school day and Ryan had said he would meet me outside the gym so we could go study, but I decided to wait inside the locker room so I wouldn't look desperate. Replaying these cheesy lines was not helping my case. I tried to quote songs, movies, and books but nothing came out the way I wanted. 

I stood on the bench in the locker room and looked out the small, rectangular window. Ryan wasn't there. I looked to my left and right but he was a no-show. I hopped down and went to my locker to check how badly my gym clothes reeked and whether or not I should bring then home to be washed. I decided that they could take a wash and stuffed the shirt and shorts into my backpack. I stood back on the bench to see if Ryan was outside. I saw the back of his head and another boy's who probably was his friend. 

I headed outside to meet up with them. 

"Hey," I greeted warmly. 

"Hey," Ryan started. "Logan, this is Lynnette. Lynnette, this is my friend, Logan, who was just leaving."

I smiled at Logan and noticed that Ryan was basically kicking him to the curb. I gave Logan a small wave before redirecting my attention to Shecky himself. "So why did you want to go somewhere else to study?"

"Because," he started as he grabbed my hand and our fingers interlaced. "I have a surprise for you."

 "Like, what?" I asked. 

"Well, if I told you, Lynnie, then it wouldn't be a surprise. Now would it?" He asked rhetorically. "C'mon, now, close your eyes."

I shut my eyes and felt a small breeze from whatever movements Ryan was doing in front of my face. Our hands stayed linked as he lead me towards where we going. I heard a car door and a "Be careful" as I got into what felt like an SUV or truck. 

I kept my eyes shut as Ryan drove. The anticipation felt like hours. The car stopped and he walked around to open the door for me. After helping me out, our hands intertwined again as he led me. The soft breeze sent the fresh scent of grass my way and filled my nostrils. I could hear the soft sound of water around me and light chirping of birds. We finally stopped walking. 

"Ok, on the count of three, open your eyes. 1... 2... 3...," Ryan instructed. 

I opened my eyes and not a moment too soon. I found myself in the middle of a beautiful, scenic park holding hands with none other than Ryan Sheckler himself. I silently gasped as I took it all in: a waterfall, a picturesque gazebo, and colorful flowers. He had once confided that this was his favorite place to go. 

"I figured we could study out here today and I even packed a blanket with a picnic basket full of snacks." He said with a dazzling smile that could warm the coldest heart and make Shawn Johnson's own stomach do backflips. 

"Ok," I said not finding the words. I was still in shock that Ryan would bring me here. 

He chuckled slightly at my loss of words. "I'll go get the stuff."

We started studying which ended up with nothing but breaks and us talking which got me another invitation to one of his skateboarding competitions. When we wouldn't take, we would just stop working and just daydream. Occasionally, I would pick up a flower and twirl it between my forefingers and peel off the petals. When Ryan caught me, he smiled and said, "He loves you." It was as if he knew what I was thinking and who I was thinking of. 

"Ryan?" I started.

"Yeah?"

"Why did you bring me here? You said this part of the park was special to you and that it was, like, a piece of you. "

"That's easy: I just want you to know who I am."