Status: Finito.

Secret Admiring

GIVE ME ONE REASON TO STAY HERE AND I'LL TURN RIGHT BACK AROUND.

Image

After Marla saw Ryan and me that afternoon, she would constantly ask about him. She would question whether or not I had a crush on him. She asked if we were dating or hanging out. I constantly got interrogated, by her, if we were "talking" or "texting". She always thought that I had a crush on him. I did, but I never admitted it to her or told anyone. 

The secrecy didn't bother me. It might seem strange to not tell something like this to your best friend, but it really isn't. I had my reasons for keeping her out. Marla would have wanted to get involved and try to take control because she is that type of person, a people person. It's a good quality to have although sometimes it's frustrating, especially when she talks to guys that I like. She doesn't flirt with them, but it does bother me because I wish I could talk to them. I have to admit that I did get defensive, mentally of course, when she called Ryan a cutie. I had finally found a guy who had some interest in me and I didn't want her to take him. 

Ryan continued to joke around with me about our "dates". It was sort of our thing. We constantly got a laugh out of it while everyone else in the world thought that we were flirting. I'm pretty sure that Mrs. Brinkley thought that we were flirting because we constantly talk in her class. Because, well, it's the only class we have together. So we constantly talked and joked. 

"So you want to hang out tonight so I can finally watch whatever you're always talking about," he asked. 

"Can't," I started. "I have to go to my sister's dance recital. What about tomorrow?"

"Nope, I have a skateboard competition." He answered. 

"You skateboard?"

"Yeah, I'm really good too."

"Where's your competition? I have to come watch tomorrow."

"Phoenix," he answered nonchalantly. 

"Don't you live here in Flagstaff?" 

"Yeah."

"Phoenix is, like, two and a half hours away," I said in disbelief. 

"Good job, you just got an A in Arizona geography." He said sarcastically with a wide smile that complemented his wide eyes. 

"Well, I don't think I can go," I said brushing off his comment. 

"Why?" He said, whining. 

"How am I going to get there? I would be gone all day and I have to share the car with my sister, who would not want to go to a skateboarding competition." I explained. 

"How about you ride with me? You would have to get up early because I have to through registration and stuff. Also, we wouldn't be able to leave until after the award presentation." He offered. "On the plus side, you get the hang out with me, a hot skateboarding god, all day."

I smiled at his playful arrogance. "Sure, I'll tag along."

"I figured you would. You can't resist me." 

"Really?" I said as I turned around so my back was to him. He tapped my shoulder, but I refuses to turn around. He touched the back of my neck but I didn't respond. He put both hands on my shoulders, put his hands between my shoulder blades, and rolled them back, giving me a massage. 

He leaned over his desk and whispered in my ear, "Lynnie."

"What?" I answered turning my body so I saw his profile. 

"Told you. You can't resist me," he said as he sat back and smirked. 

"Actually, I can if I have a reason to," I informed him. "Fortunately for you, you just gave me one reason to turn right back around."