Status: yes, it's a boy x boy pairing.

Watch Me Burn

2/3

“Key, is that you?” A voice he knew so well called out. It was gentle and caressing, soft and endearing. His heart sped quickly at the tone of the voice as it stroke flutters within him. He looked around, looking for the source of the voice. But it was too dark to see. He could barely see his hands let alone the owner of the voice he so desperately wanted to find.

“Jonghyun? Where are you?” Key breathed, his eyes trying to adjust to the darkness.

“I’m here, Key. Now come to me. I want to see you,” Jonghyun replied. His voice felt so close yet so far away. Key started to move forward, trying to locate where his voice had come from.

“I can’t see anything here. You called me, so why don’t you come out,” Key said, walking around dazedly. The area they were in felt so large and empty. Not to mention never-ending. With the lack of light, it could be a while before they spotted each other.

“I’m right beside you, Key,” Jonghyun’s voice answered. The hairs on Key’s arms rose, his insides shivering. His voice was close by, almost as if he was really beside him. But as Key reached out all around him, he didn’t feel a body. All he felt were walls that suddenly arose around him, caging him within them.

“What’s going on? Where are you?” He started to panic, his voice rising. Just as unexpectedly as the walls had rose, the temperature began to rise as well. Sweat began to drip down his forehead, his clothes sticking to his skin. He felt himself struggling to breathe, terror strangling him as his fear escalated.

“I told you, I’m right beside you.”

“No you’re not! All that’s around me are walls! What’s going on?” Key shouted, circling and facing each side. Or what he thought were sides. His eyes still couldn’t see in this everlasting, impenetrable darkness. Claws started to wrestle within him as realization hit: Jonghyun wasn’t there. He was alone. And his voice was just a figment of his imagination.

“Where am I? Get me out of here!”

“I don’t love you.” Key spun around. The whisper was chilling, haunting. And there he was. There was the person the voice belonged to. He, who Key was so desperately searching for all this time. There he stood, watching him pitifully. He looked transparent, as if he was a mere ghost. But the force of his words were so hard, knocking right into him.

It’s just your imagination, nothing more, Key thought to himself. Nothing that’s going on is real.

“I never loved you. It was always one-sided.” The figure - Jonghyun - started to walk towards him. With every step he took, Key took a step back.

Ignore him. Nothing he’s saying is true.

“It’s time you woke up and see the truth. Don’t you hear me? I said I don’t love you. And I mean it. You were nothing but a friend I messed around with. Accept that and move on.”

Key felt like a sword had been put right through him. His insides aching, he stumbled backwards and collided into the wall behind him. Jonghyun just stared at him, looking careless as he saw Key visibly hurt. Key slid down the wall as he struggled to breathe.

The instant he touched the ground, he awoke, his forehead covered in sweat. He blinked several times before realizing it was night time. Snores from his roommates echoed around the room, calming him down slowly.

It was just a nightmare, he told himself. But even as he did so, he couldn’t deny the effect it had on him.

Suddenly, he was empty. All he had been feeling the past several months had vanished. And as he covered himself in his covers once more, he couldn’t help but see himself as nothing but a wasteful shell, empty and cold.