John's Revenge

In Which Tre Has A Birthday

**December 1st, 1995**
*Tré's Point of View*
I sighed and read through the e-mail Liv had sent me, along with reports on how much Mona was growing.

Even though she's so small, I think she realizes that you're missing. When I walk in her room in the morning, I think I feel her eyes look beyond me; look for you.

I'm sorry if this upsets you, I just want you to know that she misses you too.

I've posted some pictures of us to you, along with a surprise for your birthday.


I turned off the computer and walked over to where Mike was sitting.

"Hey buddy." Mike took one look at me and smiled sympathetically. "Missing home, I know."

I smiled back but said nothing. Mike didn't know; he wasn't a father. He didn't know how much it physically hurt to be away from your children. I have left a piece of my heart in Oakland.

I missed Liv too. Every morning when I didn't wake up beside her was just another empty day. Sure, I love being in the band and I love playing shows, but what's it worth if no one is there to share it with you?

I went up to the coffee machine and got two cups: one for me, one for Mike. We had drained our cups and were looking keenly towards the coffee machine again when Billie came in, soaking wet.

"I'm guessing it's raining," grinned Mike.

"Yeah, no shit," Billie snarled. "I'm fucking soaked! And some jerk in a car splashed this huge, muddy puddle over me."

"Oh, so you didn't fall in a big lake of chocolate milk?" I smiled.

"Ha ha! Why did he do that? Doesn't he know who I am?" he whined, shaking off the muddy water.

"Ooh! Lead-singer arrogance syndrome kicks in!" Mike grinned.

Billie stopped and sat down on the couch. A large squelch erupted from the couch, and we could see a brown stain emerging from beneath him.

"I'm sorry guys," he sighed. "I'm just wet, depressed, and God, I miss Adie and the twins."

Mike and I stared at the stain, hiding our giggles. We sat there in silence until Billie caught on to what we were looking at.

His expression changed in a snap, he frowned and jumped up.

"Ha ha! Very funny! Billie crapped himself!"

He stormed off and left us giggling at the huge mud-stain on the couch.

* * *

Eight days later, it was my birthday. Mike made chocolate chip pancakes, and Billie made freshly squeezed orange juice.

I opened my presents. Billie got me some new drumsticks, a Ramones shirt, and London Calling by The Clash (he broke my old copy). Mike got me a Screeching Weasel shirt, a watch, and a hat. Mike has a thing about hats.

Later, Mr. Adams from Warner Reprise came with our mail. We gave him orange juice and a cookie (all the pancakes had miraculously disappeared).

"Here's your mail, Mr. Cool," smiled Mr. Adams. "You have a package outside." He turned to leave, then stopped. "Oh, and happy birthday."

"Thanks," I said, walking outside. I saw a huge box, covered in stickers saying 'This Way Up' along with an arrow.

I got out my penknife and poked it into the side of the box. I was greeted with a loud scream. I quickly discarded the penknife and ripped open the box with my hands.

"Liv! Mona!" I pulled Liv, who was holding Mona, out of the box and hugged her. "What the hell did you do?"

"What the hell didI do? What the hell did you do?" Liv yelled. "Don't stick knives into boxes with babies in them!"

"I didn't know there was a baby in the box, I didn't hurt either of you, did I?" I spun her round, searching for cuts.

"No, but that's beside the point," Liv sighed. She stopped, smiled, and kissed me. "Happy Birthday!"

* * *

Liv and I walked along the road. I was carrying Mona.

"It sucks that you have to work on your birthday," Liv smiled at me.

"Yeah, well it's not as if it's work! I get to go on stage and rock, I dunno, a zillion people! That's called having fun," I smiled back and tweaked Mona's nose. "Silly Mommy, huh?"

She smiled back at me, giggling.

"Hey, stop ganging up on me! Come on Mona, you and I, we're both girls! We're meant to gang up on the guys," Liv said.

"Well, she knows which side her bread is buttered," I grinned. "Let's go get some sweets."