John's Revenge

Jakob

*Billie’s POV*
I sat with Stella on my knee, drinking coffee with Annie’s mom as Annie and Mike argued outside. We had put the radio on to try and drown it out, but it wasn’t really working.

Luckily, Stella seemed oblivious.

Suddenly, the patio door was flung open and glass was everywhere. Stella started crying as Annie ran past us in tears. Mrs Stevens took Stella from me and comforted her.

“Dear, would you clean up the glass before someone treads on it?” Mrs Stevens pointed towards a dustpan and brush. I took it and began to clear up, when Mike walked in.

He was deathly pale and shaking slightly. Silent tears were falling down his cheeks. He stared at Mrs Stevens.

“Did you know?” he said in a voice barely above a whisper.

Mrs Stevens looked at the floor. She nodded. “Annie told me a week ago.”

Mike crossed the room and took Stella. He hugged her close to him, and took her back into the garden. He sat there with her, not moving, staring into space as Stella chattered and gave him flowers.

Mrs Stevens went out of the room. I heard her go upstairs and knock on a door. I carried on clearing up the glass, watching Mike out of the corner of my eye.

I finished clearing up the glass and sat back down at the table. I looked out of the window at Mike. Estelle had clambered onto his lap and she was hugging him. He was hugging her, but still sitting there, unmoving, staring but crying.

*August 11th 1998*
I walked into the kitchen to get Adrienne some water. She had a month to go and she was miserable. This time round, she didn’t have the blissful ignorance of not knowing what labour was like.

The phone rang. I picked it up.

Hi.

“Mike. How did it go?”

Bad. She still blames me. To be honest, I blame me too. She was yelling and crying, so was her Dad. We signed the papers though, I’m divorced.

“I’m so sorry. What about Estelle?”

Estelle is going to New York with her mother, but I’m allowed to see her whenever I want, as long as I give an hours notice. I get to spend this Christmas with her, too.

“That’s good, man. D’you wanna come here for Christmas, or would you rather it was just you and Stella?”

I don’t know. I’ll get back to you, OK? Anyway, I’m fucking exhausted, so I’ll see you soon.

“OK. Take care of yourself, buddy.”

Bye.

I hung up and walked into the living room. Adrienne looked up from the book she was reading.

“Who was on the phone?”

“Mike. The divorce has been finalised.”

“Oh, poor sweetheart.”

“He gets to spend this Christmas with Estelle though.”

“Aww. I’m glad.”

“Have you thought of any names?”

“I was thinking maybe Jakob, with a ‘k’. I just think it looks nicer spelled with a ‘k’, also it’s less common spelt that way.”

“I like it. Jakob Armstrong.”

“What about a middle name?”

Joey ran into the room, wearing big glasses and false teeth from the dressing up box.

“Danger’s my middle name, baby!”

I high-fived him. I let him watch some of Austin Powers yesterday and he loved it. Addy walked in wearing a cowgirl outfit my Mom made for her.

“Mommy, can I learn to ride a horse?”

“Maybe sweetie, we’ll see.”

“Mom and I have come up with a name for your little brother,” I said, pulling Addy onto my knee. She hugged me and Joey hugged Adie.

“What name?”

“Jakob Armstrong,” Adrienne smiled.

“Jakob Danger Armstrong!” shrieked Joey.

“I like it!” Addy cried.

“Me too, Adrienne, what do you think? Please, it sounds so cool!” I looked pleadingly at Adie. “Think about what a pick-up line it’ll be. ‘Danger is my middle name!”

“I have to admit, it does sound cool,” she smiled. “I like Jakob Danger Armstrong. It’s different.”

“Yes! Your little brother will be called Jakob Danger Armstrong!”

Joey and Addy cheered and started jumping up and down. Adrienne sighed. “How the Hell are we going to cope with three of them?”

* * *

I tucked Addy in bed and kissed her on the forehead.

“Night night Daddy. Love you.”

“I love you too Addy.” I walked over to Joey and said goodnight, then I went into our room where Adrienne was already asleep. I kissed her on the cheek and got into bed next to her.

*September 12th 1998*
*Tré’s POV*
“Wheeee!” giggled Alyss. I spun her round and round in the air, then brought her in for a hug. I put her in her cot to sleep.

I walked downstairs and saw Mona cuddled up with Liv on the sofa, drinking hot chocolate. I sat down next to them and kissed Liv.

“Yuck.” Mona wrinkled her nose and stuck her tongue out.

I laughed and tickled her.

“Careful, she’ll spill it!” Liv giggled.

We watched a video for a while and then took Mona up to bed. Then, the phone rang. Liv ran down to get it. When I came down, five minutes later, our neighbour, Mrs Davies was standing next to Liv in the hall way. Liv had her jacket and shoes on and she was holding her handbag and car keys.

“What’s wrong?”

“It was Billie on the phone, Adrienne’s gone into labour. They can’t get hold of Mike though.”

I sighed with sympathy. Poor Mike could have had a son by now.

“Hello, Frank?”

I grabbed my jacket and slipped on my shoes. Liv tossed me the keys and we started to drive to the hospital.

We ran into reception. The receptionist looked startled.

“May I help you?”

“We’re looking for Mr and Mrs Armstrong. They’re having a baby.”

“You can go to Room 713, they’ll be along shortly, they’re currently in the delivery room.”

We went along to Room 713. We sat on the chairs and waited. Half an hour later, Adrienne was wheeled in holding a blue bundle with a tuft of black hair poking out the end, Billie following behind, grinning like a maniac.

“Everyone,” he smiled. “This is Jakob Danger Armstrong.”

I gasped. “I love that name!”

“I know!” chuckled Billie.

Liv was standing by Adrienne. “Aw, he’s beautiful. He’s got your eyes, Billie.”

Adrienne sighed. “I’m exhausted. Billie, will you take him?”

“Of course, sweetheart.” Billie took Jakob and kissed Adrienne. Adrienne smiled, closing her eyes.

“Where are Joey and Addy?” Liv whispered.

“At home with my Mom.”

“Do you want us to go to yours and look after them so your Mom can come and see Jakob?” I said.

“That would be nice, are you sure it’s not any trouble?” Billie said, letting his son hold his finger.

“Of course not,” smiled Liv. “Mrs Davies said she’d stay the night. We’ll go back to yours and bring Addy and Joey in tomorrow if you like.”

“That would be great, thanks guys.”

We went over and hugged Billie.

“Congratulations buddy,” I smiled.

“Would you see if you can get hold of Mike? I’m worried about him,” said Billie as we went out.

“Of course, see you soon.”

Liv and I drove over to Billie’s and told Ollie. She went out in tears, smiling about her youngest grandchild.

I went upstairs to check on Addy and Joey. Joey was fast asleep, hugging a worn teddy bear Billie had bought for him on the day he was born. Addy, however, was wide-awake.

“Uncle Tré, where’s Mommy?”

“Mommy’s gone to have the baby.”

Her eyes widened and she smiled. “Jakob’s coming?”

“Yup. Would you like to go and see him tomorrow?”

She nodded furiously.

“Then go to sleep!”

She lay down and closed her eyes. I began to walk out.

“Night night Uncle Tré. I love you.”

“Love you too Addy, night night.”