Status: Done! :)

Will You Be There To Carry Me Home

Fourteen

Someone was shaking me.

“Stop fucking shaking me!” I screamed. I felt the dried, invisible tears on my face. Invisible reminders of my life.

“It’s 4 in the afternoon Kaly. Wake the fuck up! You can’t sleep your life away!” Alex screamed.

“Fuck it. It’s a nightmare anyway.” I said rolling over onto my stomach to sleep.

“This again?” He mumbled. I flipped him off. The room silenced and the door shut.

I leaned over and grabbed my guitar. I strummed nonsense.

After a while, I started strumming Lullabies. Then switched to Remembering Sunday. I stopped abruptly and sobbed.

I dropped my guitar on my bed and got up. I looked out the window. Shit. The cars are all here. I opened my door and shut it quietly.

I ran down the stairs and looked at the couches. Awesome. They aren’t there.

Aw fuck. Jack’s laugh then I heard my name being called. I ran down the remaining stairs and slammed the front door shut.

I stood in the grass. It felt nice against my feet. I walked down the street. The neighbors waved and I made small talk with them.

After walking about 6 blocks down, I reached the field. I have so many good, old memories here.

Jack and I would sneak out to here in high school.

Alex and I did that in middle school.

I walked through the lush grass to the creek on the other side of the field. I sat on a rock and looked at the water.

I got drunk here.

I wanna put my feet in the creek but my damn air cast. I rolled my eyes.

“Kaly!” I heard. They found me. I stood up and started walking in the field.

I saw Jack. I stopped walking and Jack ran over to me.

“Why did you leave?” He asked pushing his skunk bangs out of his eyes.

“I needed space.” I said.

“You scared me! I thought you went to a strip club!” He said semi serious and semi joking. I smiled and shook my head.

“I needed to go to some place that I felt safe.” I said.

“And you couldn’t have came to me?” He said looking at me. I shook my head.

“You were with Alex.” I said, “He’s flipping out.”

“He’s worried about you Kals.” Jack said.

“I know.” I said quietly.

“Can you come home with me?” He asked and then he kissed me. This kiss should have been illegal. I gasped and I knew what he meant when he pulled me against him.

“We can runaway for the night. Go to Thames Street, and that diner.” He said quietly. I nodded.

******

I slid on jeans and tank top and flip flops. I through my hair up into a ponytail.

“Let’s go.” I said to Jack.

“Later boys! I’m going to the strip club with Kals!” He screamed and thrusted. I giggled and pulled him along.

“JACK LIKES THRUST.” He screamed again.

“I know. I don’t think the whole neighborhood needs to know.” I said as we got into the Jeep.