All I Wanted Was the Truth

All I Wanted Was A Few Answers

"I can't keep doing that, Emmett. I could seriously hurt her." Edward Cullen was seated on one of the off-white couches in the living room, sitting perfectly still and looking calmly at his brother.

Emmett, who was seated opposite him on a matching off-white chair, frowned. "It hasn't hurt her that badly since the first time." he argued.

Edward shook his head slightly. "You didn't see the way she reacted today at lunch. I doubt she'll admit it to you, but she was in a considerable amount of pain."

His brother sighed deeply; troubled. "Maybe if you did it from further away, it would hurt her less," He leaned back in the large chair, rubbing his eyes.

"Have you spoken to her since the day of Bella's car accident?" asked Edward suddenly, his dark, golden eyes flashing dangerously.

The large, usually intimidating figure before him quailed visibly under that gaze. "Well... no, why?" he asked cautiously.

"You wouldn't know what she goes through every time I read her mind," replied Edward, ignoring the question. "You haven't bothered to ask; you merely expect me to do it with total disregard to her pain! Maybe," he went on, ignoring Emmett's attempt to interrupt, "Maybe if you just asked her the questions you want me to steal from her thoughts, maybe if you spoke to her directly, her skull wouldn't be close to cracking in agony!"

Emmett looked at his brother, his mouth hanging open slightly. He was at a loss for words.

"Yes," said Edward softly, dignified and calm once again. "Yes, Emmett, agony."

Emmett shook his head. "It can't be agony. Just pain. Not that bad." he muttered, almost to himself.

Edward got slowly, gracefully, to his feet. He walked over to Emmett. "You're strong, Emmett, but how do you think it would feel if I forced a knife through your skull?"

He looked down on his brother, who was hunched over, hands clasped in his lap, like a child.

"I refuse to dig through her brain any longer," he said softly. "She doesn't deserve that pain any longer. I can see it in her eyes, Emmett," His brother looked up at him, a pleading look in his eyes; pleading him not to finish that thought. "She tells herself it's not bad, as she wipes away the tears and bites her tongue so hard to stop from screaming that it bleeds."

And he left, flashing through the front door so quickly even Emmett couldn't quite see him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a short conversation between Edward and Emmett, once again. Stephanie Meyer owns all but Kaya and her Dad.

Please comment.