All I Wanted Was the Truth

All I Wanted Was A Cloudy Day

The weekend passed quietly. I spent most of my time in my room, finishing old Math homework and catching up on some reading. I liked the peace and quiet; unlike most girls who went to Forks High, I didn't mind being alone for a long period of time.

Dad didn't really bother me during the day; he mostly just came into my room to bring me lunch - an unexpected gesture of kindness. He spent a lot of time reading, as well, and so the house remained fairly quiet for two days.

My mind was blissfully clear; I didn't have homework to worry about, my grades were going up, and summer was barely a few months away. All in all, everything was going pretty good.

I found myself thinking absentmindedly about Emmett once in a while - what would he be doing at this moment? Was he busy wrestling a grizzly bear to the ground, miles away? To my own surprise, these thoughts didn't shock me as they most definitely should. My utter disconcern and acceptance of vampires was probably mentally unhealthy, but I just couldn't bring myself to be awed by it.

Maybe it was just the way they all held themselves. The Cullens were always so graceful, so well behaved, and so confident. It was slightly unnatural. Perhaps the fact that they were vampires made it easier to believe that the way they acted was natural.

When I thought about Emmett, I was calm, thoughtful. But then I remembered the way Edward had looked at me on Thursday, and I shuddered. Did he know that I knew? Is that why he'd looked at me so darkly? I always had to shake my head when Edward floated into my mind - it made me uncomfortable.

When I woke up on Monday, I was slightly put out. Light was shining in through my curtains - I pulled them aside to see the sun flashing brilliantly at me. I frowned. Usually I would be happy about the sun, as it was a rare sight in Forks. But I was a bit disappointed today. Surely, the Cullens wouldn't show up in weather like this?

And I was right. I passed the morning day dreaming wistfully about going to the beach on a nice day like this, until the bell for lunch went off. I put everything away in my locker and made my way into the cafeteria.

I was walking to a table with my tray of food when I remembered to look for Emmett - but the Cullen table was empty. As I'd guessed before. They were staying away from the public.

The rest of my day was very uneventful. I had walked to school, and regretted it on the way home. I wanted to listen to my radio.

When I walked in the door, I was actually sweating. It wasn't unbelievably hot out, but, as my body was used to the dull cold in Forks, it reacted badly to warmth. It also didn't help that I was wearing a sweater and a thick jacket.

I tossed my coat onto a hook by the door and pulled my sweater off. The black t-shirt underneath was much more comfortable. I also changed out of sweats into shorts. I felt a lot better.

I found Dad in the kitchen, having a bowl of ice cream. Another bowl sat across from him.

"Ice cream, honey?" he asked, gesturing toward it.

I nodded eagerly, sinking into a chair and pulling the glass bowl closer. "Rocky Road?" I asked, pleased.

He nodded. "Your favorite."

"Thanks," I said, smiling. "This is nice after the heat outside."

"I know," he replied. "I'm not used to the sun."

We spent the afternoon eating our ice cream and talking about various things - the weather, his talks with Mr. Weber, school, and, most of all, the upcoming dance.

"Have you asked anybody yet?" he inquired. We were sitting in the living room, which was brightly lit due to the open windows. A nice breeze blew in.

I sighed. "No, Dad. I was thinking I'd just go alone and see who I meet." I hedged. I didn't tell him I would leave a few moments after arriving.

He grinned. "So you havent found anybody you like, have you?"

I raised an eyebrow at him. "No, Dad."

He sighed in turn. "I hope you have a good time."

"Me too, Dad." Although I doubt I will.

I went to bed shortly after that, troubled by my Dad's obvious concern over 'boy troubles' he seemed to think I was having. Which I wasn't. I just really didn't care about having a boyfriend. It had never bothered me, and it still didn't.

Tuesday was worse than Monday. The sun still stood out proudly in the sky, with clouds edging around the horizon nervously. The Cullens skipped out again.

My classes all ran into each other, at one point, I was doing my French worksheet in Math class. My mind was wandering hopelessly. I doubted I would get it back for a while.

Despite my inattention to school, I had no homework. I went to bed very early, around eight, and slept like a baby all night.

When I woke up on Wednesday morning, I fully expected it to be sunny again. I didn't even look out the window, and I put on shorts and a t-shirt before brushing my teeth and hair.

Dad laughed when I walked into the kitchen. "You're too hopeful, sweetie."

I frowned. "What?"

He chuckled. "Look out the window."

Still frowning, I peered into the living room. The curtains were open, and they revealed a grey sky outside. I sighed.

"I'm going to go change." I could hear Dad laughing the entire time I was walking up to my room.

I drove to school in a glum state. I had changed into a black turtleneck and a pair of black jeans. I felt as if I were driving to a funeral.

When I got there, the parking lot was almost full. The only space, I realized, was next to Edward Cullen's silver Volvo. I smiled - they were here. I pulled into the space fluidly, proud of my driving skills. When I wasn't getting pulled over by Cheif Swan, I was generally a good driver.

I hurried inside, angry and happy at the same time that the sun was hidden once again by a cover of clouds.

The hallways were sort of crowded, so I had to fight my way to my locker. I was nearly there when I was surprised by a tap on the shoulder.

I turned to see Emmett Cullen smiling at me. "Hi, Kaya. Have a good weekend?"

I shrugged. "It was okay. Did you?" I asked conspiratorially.

He winked. "I had an awesome weekend."

I turned to open my locker, smiling. "Did you enjoy the sun?"

He laughed. "Yes. We spent a few extra days camping."

I put my Biology binder in my bag and closed the locker. I looked at him, trying to find the words to ask him. But how could I stand in a crowded hallway and say, 'Did you drink enough grizzly bear's blood?'

As I struggled to find a way to phrase the question, he leaned in and whispered, "And yes, hunting was successful."

I grinned. "That's good," I looked closer at his eyes - they were bright, shining topaz. "I wish my eyes shone like that." I muttered.

He smiled half heartedly. "Just buy contact lenses."

I bit my lip, regretting what I'd said. "Sorry, Emmett."

He waved it off. "Don't be." The bell went to signal the start of class, and he sighed. "Get to class." He shoved me off down the hall.

"Okay, I'm going!" I said, laughing. He pushed me all the way to Biology II, and nudged me in the door before speeding off to the Gym.

I took my place at the back of the room, hurrying to get there unnoticed. Mr. Banner wasn't there yet, which was lucky on my part.

I piled my work onto the table and stretched, feeling my back crack. I noticed with intense surprise that Edward and Bella were sitting together. Not just together at the table, but much closer than usual. It seems Edward isn't avoiding Bella anymore.

I noticed with an odd surge of pity that Mike Newton had seen Bella and Edward, too. He seemed extremely down.

Well, the Cullens seemed stranger and stranger by the minute.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a random chapter. No real important events, except for the fact that Edward and Bella are now "together".

I own nothing (except Kaya and her Dad). Stephanie Meyer owns it all.

PLEASE comment. PLEASE.

Excuse any spelling errors, I can't use spell check.