All I Wanted Was the Truth

All I Wanted Was A Little Support

Thursday was cloudy, just as the previous day was. My day was a rather boring one, with the classes running together once again. I had to face it - school was becoming mind numbingly boring.

I mean, it wasn't all that exciting before. But lately I'd been feeling as if I was merely going through the motions; doing what was expected of me, and no more. I told Dad what he wanted to hear about the dance. I told Jessica what she wanted to hear, too. I was turning into a very touchy robot.

I went to bed on Thursday not expecting much out of Friday, either. My sleep was fitful; I was having nightmares about grizzly bears being attacked by giant wolves. I woke up in the morning, shuddering.

I went downstairs to find Dad already gone. He had left a note on the kitchen table.

Kaya, it read,

I've gone fishing up at La Push. I'll be back after dinner - you don't need to wait up for me. Don't worry about dinner, either. There's some pasta in the fridge for both of us to heat up.

Love, Dad.


I smiled. Fishing, the past time of the little town of Forks.

I had a glass of milk for breakfast before driving grudgingly down the highway to school. My car, an old little Dodge Charger, rattled slightly. I patted the dashboard. "Just a bit farther." I muttered. Sometimes I worried about the condition of my car. It wasn't exactly new - it was a '68 model. It had been very reliable, though, and I was in love with it. I really hope it doesn't give out, I thought.

Once again, I was one of the last students in the parking lot. I slid in next to an old Beamer, shutting the engine off. As I got out of the car, Emmett walked up to me. His over-friendliness was starting to scare me - but I wasn't about to complain.

"Morning," he said, flashing me his trademark grin. "Sleep well?"

I shook my head. "Not really. I was having nightmares."

He raised his eyebrows and wiggled his fingers at me. "Ooohh, what were they about?"

I rolled my eyes. "Grizzly bears."

He laughed. "I hope they didn't hurt you."

"Actually, the bears were being attacked by some pretty big dogs. And then one of the bears started talking. It was strange." My brow creased momentarily, but smoothed out quickly. "Anyway, it kept waking me up."

He frowned at me. "What did the bear say?"

I shrugged. "It started screaming that they were going to kill it. That's it, really."

"Weird." he replied. He looked slightly troubled, but then he smiled. "Let's get to class, shall we?"

I nodded, and followed him into the brick building.

He came with me to my locker, and leaned up against it casually. "So, what are your plans for the day?" he inquired.

I looked at him. "To go to school, and then to go home."

"That's pretty boring." he said, smirking. "You should go for a bike ride or something."

I considered it. "If it doesn't rain, I will." I started taking things out of my bag, and putting different things in. "What do you plan to do today?"

"Don't know yet - other than school. I might go hunting later, but ..." He paused.

"But what?" I urged. "Not thirsty?"

He bit his lip, and looked at me slightly from the side, as if considering me. "It's not that. It's Edward. He's going hunting this afternoon to prepare himself." He scoffed at the last part.

I was confused. "Prepare himself for what?"

"Going out with Bella this weekend."

My eyes widened with shock. "Going out, as in ...?" I questioned.

He nodded. "As in, they're a couple now."

"How?" I asked, incredulous.

He chuckled. "He told her a few days ago." he whispered, leaning closer. "He's taking her out, but he doesn't want to be close to losing control. That could end badly."

I nodded, mouth hanging open a bit. I sighed. "Well, it's good that he's found somebody, isn't it?" I asked, trying to be polite.

Emmett remained quiet. He looked troubled.

"What is it?" I looked at him. "Do you disapprove?"

No response. He looked away.

I couldn't believe it. "You're joking, right? You disapprove of Edward ..." I looked around, making sure we were alone. "You disapprove of Edward having a human girlfriend?" I hissed.

He shrugged. "It's dangerous." he retorted.

I made a shocked noise in my throat. "Then I suppose we should end our friendship here, shouldn't we?" I closed my locker, slamming the door a little too hard, and walked away in a huff.

"Aw, Kaya, don't be like that!" He hurried after me, taking me by the shoulder. "It's dangerous to get in a serious relationship!" he whispered desperately, spinning me arond to face him. "She could get hurt!"

I frowned up at him. Despite my dislike for Bella, I felt oddly protective of her. "And I couldn't get hurt?" I asked innocently. "What if I cut myself so badly the blood didn't stop, Emmett? And what if you happened to be nearby, and thirsty, when it happened? Are you saying there's no possibility of me being hurt?"

He pouted. "Well, I guess if you put it that way, it makes less sense..."

I sighed. "Be a little more supportive, Emmett. He is your brother."

He smiled weakly at me. "I promise I'll try harder."

I smiled back, satisfied. "Good."
♠ ♠ ♠
Please excuse weird line breaks or repeats - my computer is freaking out. Try to ignore them. Also try to ignore any spelling errors.

Please comment.