All I Wanted Was the Truth

All I Wanted Was Port Angeles

I was trying desperately to hold back the bout of hysteria in my gut, but it wouldn't be impeded. My mouth opened wide, and the laughter was released. Alice giggled at me, clearly amused by my strange human reaction. Emmett roared with laughter along with me, though he too was laughing at my reaction.

After they had convinced me to go along with them to Port Angeles, Emmett had insisted we take his Jeep. It was the very same monster of an off road vehicle I'd seen the first time I'd been to his house, and the idea of getting to ride in it thrilled me.

Since Dad had confiscated my motor cycle, I'd been going through a withdrawal of sorts for speed and excitement. This Jeep was definitely had the affect on me that an illegal substance may have on a recovering drug addict.

And so I sit in the backseat of Emmett's car, strapped in like a mental patient, howling with mirth. Emmett couldn't get enough of it. The adrenaline pumping through my system was enough to give a sane person a heart attack, but I was enjoying every second of it.

"Emmett, if you don't slow this Jeep down I think she might have an aneurysm." Alice teased.

Emmett snorted. "Look at her!" he said, twisting around in his seat to look at me. "She's having a great time! Don't ruin her fun ... or mine." he mended.

I tugged at the buckles that constrained me, annoyed. "Can I take these off?" I whined.

Alice grabbed my hands, forcing them into my lap firmly. I couldn't budge an inch. "No."

I pouted. "Why not?"

"Because if you started going crazy, Emmett would soon follow. I may be able to control you both separately, but ..." she paused, smiling. "I don't think controlling the both of you in one small, enclosed area would be good for my health."

I frowned. "Fine..."

Emmett turned to Alice, the corners of his mouth pulled down. "I won't go crazy." he protested.

Alice raised an eyebrow at him.

Emmett huffed. "Fine..."

The car stopped suddenly, pushing me against the harnesses. I peered out the windows. We were parked outside a movie theater. "Are we seeing a film?" I inquired.

Alice shook her head. "We just park here for the space."

I jumped when I felt somebody poking me in the side. Emmett had already gotten out of the car and opened my door. "Hurry up." he commanded.

He had provided a hand for me to grab onto so I could get out of the car, but I ignored it, hopping out and landing in a practiced way on my feet. "Show off," he grumbled.

I looked up at the sky, breathing deeply. The air here smelled somehow cleaner, but that could just be that I was too used to Forks oxygen. I noticed that there weren't many clouds in the sky; in fact, the only clouds were the small, fluffy, white ones that carried no rain. I glanced at Alice and Emmett. They seemed to notice this, too.

"Let's get inside." Alice suggested. Emmett and I nodded, following her across the street and into a small, red-painted restaurant.

I sniffed, and saliva instantly started producing in my mouth. All I could smell was tomato sauce and coffee - it made me somewhat crazy. I stepped forward eagerly.

I felt somebody grab my shirt from behind, holding me back. "Whoa there, girl. It says 'Please Wait To Be Seated'." Emmett chuckled.

I made a face at him. "That's not nice... bringing me in here, taunting me with the smell of food, and making me wait to be seated." I scoffed.

He pulled me further back, because I had started forward again. "Just a few minutes." he warned. "Don't pout at me!" he accused.

Alice was looking around for a waiter. "Excuse me!" she called, to a nearby and acne ridden boy in a black apron.

"May I help you?" he asked, looking mostly at Alice.

"We'd like a table, please." she said politely, smiling.

He nodded. "Right this way, please..." He grabbed a few menus and led us off into the crowd. We followed him right to the back, which was less occupied than the front. He placed the menus on a booth that was mostly in darkness, and we sat down. "A waiter will be along soon. Can I start you with something to drink?" Once again, he was paying attention to Alice and ignoring Emmett and I.

Alice turned to me, and I blinked. "Uhh, may I have an iced tea?" I asked.

"And for you?" He turned quickly back to Alice.

"Just a water. Emmett?" Alice said, facing her brother.

"Make that two waters, then." he replied, sounding bored.

The boy nodded curtly, walking away. He seemed disheartened that Alice wasn't interested in him whatsoever.

I bit my lip, holding back another stream of laughter.

"What?" Emmett asked, looking confused. Alice had the same look on her face.

I stared at them both in turn. "You didn't notice?"

They shook their heads.

"That busboy was checking you out," I muttered to Alice, still grinning. "I don't think you did anything to improve his outlook on girls, either."

Alice raised her perfectly arched eyebrows. "Really? I didn't notice."

I laughed. "Apparently not."

"Jasper wouldn't be overly impressed with that, would he?" Emmett waggled his eyebrows at Alice.

I shuddered at the thought of what Jasper Hale would do to a poor, scrawny boy like the one we were discussing. "Not a pretty sight." I guessed. Emmett and Alice laughed merrily.

Suddenly, a rather harassed looking waiter tripped on a stray shoelace, flailing wildly to catch his tray. Instead, his hands knocked it into me, drenching me in milkshake and a few shards of glass. I grimaced.

"Sorry!" the waiter wailed. "I'm so sorry - here, here's a cloth..." He wiped anxiously at my shoulders and arms, which were dripping in thick brown chocolaty goo. After wiping most of it away, he gasped in despair. "You're bleeding!"

The area around our table abruptly seemed quieter. The waiter was worriedly trying to clean the blood away, but I was too concerned about the fact that I was bleeding in the presence of two vampires. I looked up at them, panicked.

Alice, whose eyes were slightly out of focus, looked as though she wasn't breathing. "I'm sorry," she gasped. "Excuse me." And she rushed away from us, out the door, most likely back to the car.

I turned around, batting the waiter's hands away impatiently. Emmett, who was trapped in the booth by me, was looking away.

The waiter shook his head. "I'm so sorry!" he repeated.

"Don't be," I muttered. "We'll just go ... thank you." I stood up, holding my arm in front of me. It was still bleeding.

The waiter, bemused, gazed as I pushed out of the door and into the weak sunlight. I felt lightheaded. "Not good," I mumbled. I looked around for a place to go until the blood flow slowed.

Before I could go anywhere, I had been flung onto somebody's back and was hurtling along down the street, too fast to know where I was going.

I realized who it was, of course, but stayed quiet. I kept my arm firmly wrapped in a bit of my t-shirt. My eyelids drooped.

I felt the ground cold beneath me, and looked up. My mind struggled, registering the fact that I was now lying on the concrete in an alley. The sun didn't reach us here. Emmett was looking at me, an odd expression on his face.

"Emmett?" I asked, my voice a few octaves higher than usual. "Are you all right?"

He knelt down quickly, catching me by surprise. My arm was in his hands before I could pull away, and his eyes closed. He sniffed the air.

I tried to tug my arm back, to no avail. His eyes snapped open, and I noticed with a flush of terror that they were pitch black. He didn't appear to be in his right mind. His teeth were bared in an ugly snarl. He was squeezing my arm, forcing the blood out of a dozen tiny cuts.

"Emmett," I started slowly. "Emmett, this is me, this is Kaya." He let out a fierce breath, growling. "Don't do anything you'll regret later, Emmett." I said, trying to sway him.

But he paid me no attention. Instead, he bent his head low down to my arm and inhaled again. A spasm ran through his body.

My breath came in short bursts, and my heart was pounding. I was sure he could hear it, and that gave me no comfort. I felt a dry sob escape my throat.

He froze. His grip became no looser, and the snarls ripping from his throat no quieter, but he had stopped his slow movement closer to the blood.

Another sob escaped.

He raised his head, and his eyes met mine. Slowly, slowly, I saw the manic gleam in them disappear. I bit my trembling lower lip.

All at once, I was alone. My arm hung limply at my side, covered in smears of blood, white where Emmett had held it so securely. I swallowed my fear, and stood up. The bleeding, having stopped now, was no longer making me dizzy. I walked down to the end of the alley and glanced around.

I was in the warehouse district, somewhere I'd never visited before. I had no idea where I was.

Wanting to avoid being attacked again, I wiped the blood from my arm onto the sleeve of my shirt, and ripped that sleeve off, tossing it into a trash bin. My head whipped in all directions, searching for a landmark, a sign, or somebody I knew. My fingers ran uneasily through my hair.

I was lost.

I felt a pair of cold arms wrap around me from behind, and jumped. Surprises were starting to make me apprehensive, and Emmett's appearance didn't comfort me the way it usually did. I saw Emmett's hands grasp mine, and squeeze them lightly. He turned me so I was facing him.

I cried out in pain when I saw his face. He looked so desperate, so sincerely sorry. It broke my heart to see him this way. Without thinkng about it, I threw myself into his arms and gripped him firmly. I felt his arms move more comfortably around my back, and he buried his face in my shoulder. Vampire or not, I thought, he was the best friend I'd ever had, and I wanted him happy.

"I'm so sorry." he said in a low voice. Without another word, he lifted me up into his arms and carried me - at human speed - back to the tourist part of Port Angeles.

I had to admit, despite the fact that he had come very close to taking my life, I was more reassured with Emmett than I was alone. I turned so he was carrying me bridal style, and closed my eyes.

"I'm dizzy." I slurred.

He chuckled half heartedly. "You lost a lot of blood." He adjusted his grip.

"I think I ruined our day out," I said apologetically.

I felt him shake his head, his chin resting on my shoulder. "You didn't do anything wrong. I did ... I kidnapped you away from witnesses and almost drank your blood." I could feel the shame in his voice.

I realized I was very close to passing out, and that I needed to let my body recover and produce more blood. It was making me giddy. I poked him in the chest earnestly. "Don't you dare feel bad."

"But Alice resisted when I couldn't!" he protested.

"It's not your fault my blood smells so good to you," I retorted. "Maybe I'm your favorite flavor." I said wonderingly.

His low, rumbling laugh was more sincere now. "Go to sleep, Kaya." he said.

So I did.
♠ ♠ ♠
EDITED - I added a bit more.

Quite the random chapter, huh? Please tell me if it was any good ... I realize it was rushed, and I'm sorry about that.

Comments are love.