All I Wanted Was the Truth

All I Wanted Was To Stop You

I woke up shaking violently. I could feel cold sweat dripping down my face, my neck, onto my blankets. My fists were clenched, white, onto my sheets.

I sat up slowly, wiping the moisture from my skin. I vaguely remembered having the same night terrors as before, but they were slipping away quickly, like smoke escaping the grab of a fist. My shaking calmed.

I checked my clock - five thirty in the morning. I sighed. Dad would probably be out fishing today.

I was right - walking into the kitchen, freshly changed into some black jeans and another turtleneck sweater, I came across a note telling me he had indeed gone out for the day.

I had a glass of milk and a bowl of cereal for breakfast, staring groggily at the wall opposite. I brushed my teeth and hair afterward, and then packed up my bag for the day. I was ready nearly an hour and a half early.

I was just walking through the front hall when the door knocked. I froze. Who would be knocking on my door at this time of the morning?

I stepped forward, not reaching for the doorknob yet. "Who is it?" I called.

"Kaya!" I jumped when I heard Emmett's voice, ragged and urgent. "Let me in, now!"

I hurried to open the door. He was in, with the door closed, before I could blink. "Emmett?" I asked, confused. "What are you doing here?"

"Listen," he said quietly, his eyes unfocused. "And please don't interrupt me."

I nodded for him to go on.

"There are some vampires in town - three rogue ones. Their diet is the one you'd expect of a vampire," I blanched, but let him continue, "One of them has left for Alaska, so you don't have to worry about him. The other two, though, are hunting Bella Swan." I felt a chill run through my bones. "They probably won't come near you, but just in case, I want you to stay home from school today."

I shook my head, terrified. "Of course I'll stay home ... but what about my Dad?" I could feel my lower lip begin to shake.

Emmett took my face in his hands, and brushed away the tears I hadn't noticed. "Don't worry. We'll catch them before anything can happen - to anybody."

My jaw dropped, and I felt tears flow anew. "You're going after them?" I sobbed.

He smiled kindly at me. "There are two of them, and four of us. We'll be just fine, I promise."

I pouted. "If you get yourself hurt, I'll kill you." I mumbled.

He laughed softly. "Then I'll be extra careful, so I don't have to face your wrath when I get home." With that, he wrapped his arms around me in a steely grip. I realized now he was being overly gentle with me, so he wouldn't crush me to dust, but it still felt as though he was holding me tighter than he had before. "Be careful, Kaya. Everything will be fine soon." He kissed the top of my head, and suddenly, I was alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
I own nothing but Kaya and her Dad.

Comments?